Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ + DIY Sniv
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Grappler
    Images

Evolution of a Suspension System

Like many of you, my hammock suspension system has gone through lots of changes, and most of these changes were inspired by all the great ideas I found here on Hammockforums. With apologies for the length of this posting, I thought it might be fun to describe the evolution of my hammock suspension system.

My original suspension was the standard line-strap suspension that came with my Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. This suspension was reasonably lightweight, but the 5' straps were too short for the huge trees we have in the West. I decided that my straps should be able to handle trees up to a maximum diameter of three feet, which meant a minimum strap length of 10 feet. I figured that I could reach high enough to attach straps up to eight feet off the ground without too much difficulty, which is roughly three feet above the desired height of the hammock's structural ridgeline. At a 30-degree hang angle, that requires at least six feet of line (or webbing) between the hammock and the tree. So the 7' leads were long enough, but I needed to replace the 5' straps with 10' straps.

With time, I concluded that the system still had a couple of shortcomings that I wanted to address: (1) the attachment point on the straps was not adjustable, which could make it harder to use on smaller trees placed close together; and (2) knots in Amsteel reduce its breaking strength and could be difficult to untie after being loaded. The whoopie sling suspension seemed like a good answer (and has a cool name). So I replaced my original suspension with 10' straps, 8' whoopies, and Dutch buckles (and thus began my addiction to Dutch bling). The new system was a bit heavier, but I loved the adjustability, and splicing turned out to be a lot of fun.

Then Dutch introduced Speed Hooks, which I just had to try. I replaced my whoopies and Dutch buckles with Amsteel leads, ADutchable clips and Dutch Speed Hooks. I loved the way this system worked, and it was a little bit lighter as well. But then people began having issues with wear to the Amsteel leads. So I moved on.

Dutch's next innovation was Kevlar straps. I replaced my Polyester straps with 1" Kevlar 3.3 straps and paired them with BIAS strap anchors. To fasten each strap to the tree, I adopted Phantom Grappler's clever soft shackle alternative to the Dutch clip: the Grapplers Hitch. The resulting cinch buckle system is very simple to use and dropped almost two ounces from the overall weight of my suspension.

I had no sooner made the switch to 1" Kevlar, when Dutch introduced 2" Kevlar. The idea that I could cut the pressure on the tree in half without adding any weight to my straps was too tempting. One challenge, though, was that most of my existing suspension hardware was designed to work with 1" straps. Then I discovered the discussion of Becket hitches on Hammockforums. I realized that I didn't need special hardware for 2" straps, in fact I didn't need hardware at all. My latest system is 2" Kevlar straps secured to the tree with Grapplers Hitches and tied to continuous loops (or optional Amsteel dogbone extenders) with Becket hitches. Despite the wider straps, I managed to shave another 1.5 ounces off the weight of my suspension. I could go even lighter with 1" Kevlar 2.2 straps. But it makes me feel good to know that my 2" straps are gentler on trees, and that rangers might be a bit more likely to find my 2" straps acceptable.

What's next, I wonder?

Here is a summary of the evolution of my suspension system:

Suspension Straps Leads Hardware Totals
    Original 2x5'x1" Polyester huggers (65g) 2x7'x7/64" Amsteel leads (25g) 2 steel triangle rings (20g) Length: 24ft Weight: 110g
    Redesigned 2x10'x1" Polyester huggers (130g) 2x7'x7/64" Amsteel leads (25g) 2 steel triangle rings (20g) Length: 34ft Weight: 175g
    Whoopies 2x10'x1" Polyester straps (125g) 2x8'x7/64" Amsteel whoopies (51g) 2 Dutch buckles (22g) Length: 36ft Weight: 198g
    Speed hooks 2x10'x1" Polyester straps (125g) 2x8'x7/64" Amsteel leads (28g) 2 Dutch speed hooks (6g); 2 ADutchable clips (24g); 2 Amsteel loops (8g) Length: 36ft Weight: 191g
    Cinch buckles 2x12'x1" Kevlar straps (80g) 2x6'x7/64" Amsteel extensions (22g) 2 BIAS strap anchors (20g); 2 Amsteel Grapplers (10g); 2 Amsteel loops (8g) Length: 36ft Weight: 140g
    Becket hitch 2x10'x2" Kevlar straps (64g) 2x6'x7/64" Amsteel extensions (22g) 2 Dynaglide Grapplers (2g); 2 Amsteel loops (8g) Length: 32ft Weight: 96g
    Last edited by trhang; 05-28-2016 at 20:21.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    Nice write-up, thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed reading that, as I am currently going through some suspension changes myself. I did not realize the 2" Kevlar straps do not add any weight compared the the 1"ers. That's remarkable!

Images
    Nice.

I've started keeping gear logs as I upgrade sections of gear to see what the weight change is like. I wish I had weights of some of the orginal gear I used.

I started off using the Hennessey supplied ropes and straps and then added in Niteize figure 9's because I didn't know any better. FWIW they held just find for a friend and myself on half a dozen trips.

I then added the original Dutch hooks and UCR's, then Speed Hooks which I recently changed out for Ti Cinch buckles with the sewen in Dutch Hooks. My plan is to keep these around for cold weather use where I'd have gloves on but I want to give the Becket Hitch and David's Carolina Red a try as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ + DIY Sniv
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Grappler
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyBeans View Post
    I did not realize the 2" Kevlar straps do not add any weight compared the the 1"ers.
    The 2" Kevlar is roughly the same weight as the heavier-weight 1" Kevlar. They both weigh roughly 3.2-3.3 grams per foot. The lighter-weight 1" Kevlar is quite a bit lighter at 2.2 grams per foot.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    I don't get the 2" Kevlar strap craze.

Images
    I think they are required in a few locations and I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the norm in more places eventually.
    Hammocks seem to be at least as popular as tents over the last year or so. I hope the popularity helps to ensure public support and squash any ideas Park management might have in banning them.
    I still see the occasional person using the just rope around the trees though and still worry this could lead to total hammock bans.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    I still see the occasional person using the just rope around the trees though and still worry this could lead to total hammock bans.
    Had a discussion with an coworker who uses rope on the tree, today. Even after explaining the damage that can cause, he shrugged and said 'I don't care.'

I'm just beginning the evolution of my strap system. Currently I'm with atlas straps, but they aren't light. Looking at going the WBBB XLC route with straps and buckles, despite how much fun whoopie slings look. Simplicity of straps n buckles is enticing and worth the extra 3oz., to me.

BTW, I love how widely accepted and used spreadsheets are on this forum.
    Last edited by tstark; 05-28-2016 at 22:15.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Excellent writeup!

Sums up my entire backpacking evolution. There's always a "next best thing"!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I'm not that far down the evolutionary tree, as it were. Started with Atlas Straps and still use them occasionally, graduated to CLs/Whoopies/MSRs on straps.

"Evolved" to add a bling component, Double Whoopie hooks and spreader bars so my wife and I could hang together on the same two trees.

Who knows what the future holds, but as far as I'm concerned my evolution is complete!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Woodsman x, various Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepp / UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    depends on mood
    I've tried a few since I started. My first hammock was a dd and I had the stock webbing. Since getting rid of the dd to more comfy hammocks I've tried, cinch bugs, whoopies with whoopie hook, bias strap anchors, warbonnet straps and buckles. Like them all but going through a mule tape phase at the minute lol.
    Trees! the main cause of forest fires....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast