Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Smoke Butt 2016

Well I think it was another great hang in the NC trees ya'll. KingsFord and I pulled in to the campsite Wednesday around 2:30pm and began setting up our palace in the woods. We were joined by Inspectorguy and his lovely bride before too long, then a few more hangers began to arrive. Old4hats and Georgia girl, Captain Morgan, Comet_seeker all got their set ups hung and we gathered for some food. A new hanger to us, Ofemur came out and relaxed with us as well. We had typical summer weather, so we didn't need a fire. Thursday we were up making some breakfast and planning a day of meeting more folks and gathering more supplies for the meals. KingsFord tried the smoker, and made some nice pork loins, though it took longer than planned. We all got to enjoy them. By Friday morning we were starting to get a crowd. Unfortunately Junebugdawn was still fighting her respiratory bug and had to head out to cooler air at a hotel during the night. Earlier in the day a large branch (with green leaves) suddenly snapped off and fell right beside Patman's set up. One of the branches lightly brushed his tarp. Friday morning Junebug decided she needed more recoop time in some cooler air for her to feel up to par, so her and Patman left us to head back to SC. Friday we had lots of folks join us to wander through the trees to find nice spots for hammocks. Old4hats, Squidbilly and KingsFord and myself already had our Squidbilly-Hammeck palaces set up. Friday night was relaxing with kids playing in warm summer air. Grannypat playing with the fire (thanks for the firewood Tacoma) and all of us happy campers full and enjoying strawberry shortcake and cobbler. Saturday arrived and the last of our campers arrived, as well as some day guests. Mike Lyle arrived before breakfast, and was able to join us. Kyle with Ripstopbytheroll arrived in the afternoon with a big box of free material, and lots of folks got something for DIY projects. We had some wonderful BBQ for dinner.Drew names for the door prizes, packed up the kitchen, cause it was supposed to rain in the AM, and set around the campfire til bedtime. I want to thank all those who helped us out with any little or big task. Ya'll are why we do this, cause ya'll treat us so well. Thank you JDK and Stubby for the pork you did. Thanks DRlupton for bringing it. And thanks JDK for making the swineapple (and thanks Sheri for helping too). Thank you TheloveDR for all your help with the packing. And thank everyone for helping pack up after dinner. WE really enjoyed hanging with you, and cooking for you. I want to mention that Sheri (maybe not spelled right) cooked the mountainman breakfast and frenchtoast pudding, as well as cornbread, grilled chicken, ribs and chili. And also Phantomgrappler supplied all the sandwich makings for the land, air and sea sandwiches. We certainly appreciated that Phantomgrappler. I also wanted to let everyone know, after we got home and counted up all the donations ya'll gave us for the food and site (some I didn't know KingsFord had put up) We came out pretty much at our expense cost. Thank ya'll for that. As I told quite a few of you, this is the last year we will host the Smoke Butt, so we hope someone else takes up the baton. We've enjoyed doing it the past 2 years, and we will attend future ones.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Integral Dsgn 8x10
    Insulation
    HG TQ/enLightEQ UQ
    Suspension
    whoOpie
    Hotlips and Kingsford....you guys really do host an awesome hang. We appreciate all you do to make it relaxing, delicious and a good time for everyone!! Also it was fun to see people we have met at other hangs and meet new folks too.

BIG BIG Thanks and gratitude!!
    MtnGoat and Hipbone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Hotlips, Kingsford, and everyone else that put this together. Emily and I had a really great time and are looking forward to the next one. I'm still full from yesterday!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Max and I are still on our way home, taking a break at the Alabamistan Welcome Center on I-20
    We will post a few pictures later. For now, another big Thank You! to Hotlips and Kingsford for all your hard work. Y'all sure know how to throw a great hang.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Another great hang in the books thanks to the host Hotlips and Kingsford. Sad to hear that you will not be hosting next years hang. I have to admit in all my time hammock hanging that this was the hottest one I have attended, but still better to hang in the heat then not at all. I would like to thank all the cooks who helped out the hosts. Thanks to Comet Seeker for bringing out that couch hammock (I do think REI should give you a commission off the sales) I think everyone who saw it and heard what the sale price was bought one. Good seeing everyone that I know and meeting some new people. You all make these hangs great. Hope to see you all in future hangs soon.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    My family and I had such a wonderful weekend at Smoke Butt 2016. A huge "Thank You!" to HotLips and Kingsford for hosting such a great hang. Thank you to everyone that had a part in the cooking and cleaning and general camaraderie. It was good to see some old friends and make a few new ones. I hope y'all had as much fun as we did. My kids really enjoyed running with the Lion cubs and others. I can't express enough how much I appreciate everything I learned, from knots to sewing techniques to food recipes, jokes and more. I love how everyone is friendly and willing to share. Add on top of it all that the weather was wonderful, the lake temp was just right and the bugs were absent for the most part. Not much more you could ask for in a weekend. (Maybe winning The lottery would have made it better, but my son won a door prize, thanks again HotLips.)

As some of you may know, we've been trying to figure out a trail name for many wife for over a year now. HotLips suggested "Helping Hands" for always seeming to find something to help out with at meal time. I think a more fitting name will be "ForgetMeNot." She is named after a flower in real life and the one posted below has purple and yellow which are 2 of her favorite colors.
    1464593-bigthumbnail.jpg
    On the other hand she also managed to forget her quilt set, a cinch strap and was threatened to be left as she took her time to finish getting ready on our way out this morning. Forgetting a key piece of gear has been her thing most every campout, but this one topped them all, as I returned a strap to Squidbilly and watched her return an UQ to Old4hats and a top fleece to HotLips. Ever since I've suggested it, I get a glare and a smirk.

On other trail names, a potential change of another guest to "Duralog" has my vote.

Lastly a special "Thank you" to Kyle at RBTR for the DIY goodies that he generously provided.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Another excellent hang hosted by Hotlips and Kingsford. Thank you and everybody else who contributed to this hang. I enjoyed seeing everybody. A special thank you to Tacoma for the wood. Young Ryan was in charge of the fire one night and did a great job. When he come up and asked to help me with the fire, I initially hesitated, but he quickly recited his scout fire-making resume. I think he likes fire as much as I do.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    grannypat I've lost my password thanks for your great message.
    And I'm wondering if no one Hosts the Smoked Butt Hang, will there be one next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to Hotlips and Kingsford for hosting this hang.(You two have a special gift for making these events special) We had a wonderful time and look forward to seeing everyone at future hangs.
    A special thanks to Kyle from RBTR for the free DIY fabrics. Soon I will have a brand new bug net for over my DIY hammock and a lovely bright yellow Hex Tarp! (My sewing machine is going to get quite a workout between this and the 3 other tarps I will be making from my previous purchases from your wonderful company!)
    Until we can make it to another hang with all of you I wish you all a wonderful Summer with LOTS of nights in the woods!

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    blinged out SF
    Insulation
    hg o deg +2 uq tq
    Suspension
    straps and buckels
    Hey All,
    Hot lips and kingsford and the whole gang outdid themselves again,they will never know how much we appreciate there efforts to keeping us Hampers fat and sassy.Sorry bout knot being able to say GOODBYE TO EVERYONE but we had to blast out pretty early as we are working on 2 houses at the same time today and had contractors coming in and had to be there.Thanks again, see yall next time!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast