Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks

ENO Hammock Stands

Looks like REI has a decent sale going on for the next day or so. I've been looking for a hammock stand and have been looking at the two ENO offerings. I want something I can set up in the back yard and like how their SoloPod looks but I'm not sure if it will work with longer hammocks (10'-11'). I also like the idea of their Roadie stand but I'm not sure I have as much use for it and I don't know if sleeping right up next to my car would be comfortable.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Ever seen one in person. I realize I can probably DYI cheaper but both of these look like some pretty slick designs.

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    The Eno solopod is really solid. But for me it just wasn't tall enough. Even with an Eno DN, once I had a good hang angle, I was literally sitting on the ground when I got into the hammock. Once I was lying down, I was just a couple of inches off the ground. I returned it.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest (2 of them)
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan/Vesta
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I purchased the SoloPod from REI (in store) recently. The most difficult part of the entire process of setting it up was extracting the parts from all of the packing material. The hammock I use in it is an ENO DoubleNest. The only mods are amsteel blue end loops about the same length as the stock rope loop and aluminum (BlackDiamond) carabiners.
    Assembly: The SoloPod assembles easily for one person. It took me about 10 minutes the first time and a good bit of that was getting the plastic endcaps on the legs (ended up pressing them on by hand then "hammering" them the rest of the way by hitting the ground), followed by very deliberate piece by piece assembly of the rest. The tubes interlock 3 1/2 inches or so and are held in place by a spring loaded detent.
    Hang: The SoloPod doesn't sit very high and if you use a structural ridgeline/single line suspension system you're likely to end up on the ground from the sag. Just hook the ends to the (included) shackles and forget the fancy stuff as there is very little room for adjustment
    Lay: I'm 5' 10" 320# and had plenty of room between my hind end and the ground in the above configuration and able to get a decent diagonal lay
    "Portability": Notice the quotes. This is not something intended for backpacking use as it weighs every ounce of 60 (+/-) lbs. That said, for car/RV camping, backyard or indoor use it's "A number 1". There is no storage sack included. I used 2" wide Velcro bundling straps and some heavy duty rubber bands to bundle the tubes together. Not sure how to handle the ends so for now it's a 2-trip (or 1 heavy) load.

• + New Posts