Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    BillyBob, you made me laugh out loud with that description - I could'nt think how to describe it, but you nailed it. Maybe I've got too much tension on my ridgeline, I always pull it pretty tight ( I like it that way without the supershelter, but with the SS on its, well, exactly as you describe).
    Yeah, that time I obviously overtightened it ( easy to do with the Hitchcraft), it definitely tried to rip me a new one. It didn't take long to figure out that wasn't right. But to look on the bright side, at least the net was far from my face!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    I'm glad to hear others talk about the material in the face and how uncomfortable the bottom entry can be. Loved the earlier description - very accurate.

I have an explorer delux netless with a SS. Used it New years eve on Springer with the pads, a z-rest and some insobrite fabric and stayed very warm. However, the SS did not have the extra clips you memtioned, and ended up tearing where it was pulled too tight on the knots.

I think I can probably patch/repair it, but I really never got comfortable with the "Butt Ridgeline" and fabric in my face.

Bought an ENO Doublenest tonight to add to my colllection. Was using single before, and had lots of folks suggest getting a double instead of new single.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    2) Do double or quadruple the elastic and give the sides a bit of tension when you stake it out. Lately I've been having troubles getting down in temperature and perhaps I've put too much side tension on the pad. Hopefully BillyBob will jump in here with what he does since he's had more success.
    FreeTheWeasel
    Have you been using the space blanket as TH suggests? He considers it a significant part of the system, though I know a lot of folks don't believe it works. Ed Speer also recommends them to go in the bottom of the PeaPod. He makes the same claim as TH, good for another 10* or a bit more. I've found them very beneficial in both the SS and PeaPod. I guess it worked in the PeaPod, since I did that 10* night in it with nothing added below but the space blanket, and it is only rated for 20*.

I only ask because I've found people REALLY resistant to using the 2 oz, $2 space blanket. They are very noisy during set up, but I am never able to hear it once in the hammock.

But if you have been having trouble getting down, 1: make sure there are NO gaps in the undercover or between the pad and your back after you are in it. This can be from poor adjustment with the old type suspension, or from weight of added insulation pulling the pad or undercover down. Either way, it's a matter of correct suspension adjustment making sure of NO GAPS.
    2: The easiest, most effective addition ( most bang for cost/weight) is to put a Garlington insulator between the undercover and the pad. Usually no extra suspension adjustment will be needed, since the weight of a medium size garbage bag and crinkled up space blanket is not enough to pull the undercover down. The UC will snug the GI right up against your back and/or butt, and I found it to be a dramatic warmth boost for negligible cost/weight.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    rid of it. I'm just wondering if others notice the same thing as me regarding the fit. Maybe theres a slight difference in size and I have a slightly oversized Exployer UL and a slightly undersized SS, or something like that. Or maybe I'm not hanging mine exactly right.
    Well, they do have two sizes, so the wrong size could be a problem. They warned me not to use my Large size SS with my Safari, which was too big and might damage the SS. Whatever.

But I never could figure why anyone would want the smaller pad, 30" wide (?) instead of 36". Unless it is just too long for a ULBP.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    The instructions with the SS say that it will not work with CCF pads. I, being an obedient boy, haven't tried it. But it seems that it should work. If condensation is the concern, then wouldn't the 'space blanket', which is required according to the instructions, be just as prone to moisture accumulation? So...what's the deal????
    I have not had any significant condensation problems with the space blanket. Others might. Maybe because it is not really tight against my back? I don't know. The one time I did have a lot of condensation on the foot of my pad and in the UC was the one time I didn't use the space blanket ..... go figure!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Lately I've been having troubles getting down in temperature and perhaps I've put too much side tension on the pad.
    FreeTheWeasel
    BTW, exactly what do you mean by "troubles getting down in temperature "? I mean, up there in MN? In Jan?

Images
    These under-hammock insulating systems of all types are borne from strange science! I have not messed with the SS too much since I got it late last summer, and I got JRB quilts shortly thereafter and most of my fooling around has been with them. But, I am going in the direction of using the SS for late spring/summer use and so that's where my attention is now. Do you attach the space blanket(which, contrary to the conventional wisdom that says it should not be of much value, seems to add a significant amount of comfort)to the hammock or SS in any way, or do you just lay it on top of the OCF? Have you cut the Space Blanket to shape in any way, or trimmed any of the excess off? Besides the very light weight space blanket, there's another one that is a little heavier, is laminated, and has the potential, I hope, of being cut to shape(maybe with a slit) and hemmed. Have you any experience with that one, or, have you tried to cut and hem and attach the light weight one? Contrary to what you say in one of your posts, I have experienced a lot of noise (it keeps my dogs barking, which keeps my wife awake, which....well, you know). But the noise may be coming mostly from the excess blanket that is left hanging outside of the under-cover. As a side note, it's pretty well accepted that the fit of any under insulation is critical to its performance. To that end, I took my HH to the local seamstress with instructions to incorporate a zipper on each side of the hammock so that I could reach out and feel the fit with out having to go through all-night trial and error sessions. It was either that or carry a couple of bushel bags of potatoes to put in the hammock as a proxy for me while I adjusted the fit from the outside. Well, she did a really, really, really poor job, so I have ripped out her work and have found that I can sew after all!!! I am confident that all will end well and I will be a better person for the experience. Moral: Don't let anybody mess with you stuff that doesn't have a clue about what it is.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    .....Do you attach the space blanket(which, contrary to the conventional wisdom that says it should not be of much value, seems to add a significant amount of comfort)to the hammock or SS in any way, or do you just lay it on top of the OCF? Have you cut the Space Blanket to shape in any way, or trimmed any of the excess off? ....
    I lay it right on top of the OCF, and I fold it doulble so that it is about the same width as the foam, at least at the head end. I cut it to fit once, but then the space blanket seemed really easy to tear.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Large hex asym
    Insulation
    Super shelter
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I was out in late January here in Central PA with my SS. I used the space blanket with the pad and my cheap mummy bag. I used my Jungle Blanket as a top cover. Temps in the high teens to low 20's and I was comfortable. Same issue with the "extra fabric" around my face. I'm heading out this weekend with the forecast in the low 40's and steady rain late night. Sigh.I'll mess with the suspension as noted above.
    I struggle into the mummy bag once I retreat through the "birth canal" so I'm going to rip out the zipper and try it as a top quilt. Not sure what I'm going to do yet about the "head pocket."
    Here's a tip that I learned the hard way - spread out the space blanket BEFORE you insert the sleeping bag, etc., into the hammock. Especially when wearing mittens.

My issue with the space blanket is getting it compressed down to anywhere close in size to when its new. First world problem, no question about it...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12