WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    I love my Warbonnet Superfly. While it is true that Florida can have rain showers that may only last 15 minutes we can also have long stretches of wind and rain. Coming from an ENO ProFly, I certainly appreciate the additional coverage of the Superfly and the doors have been more useful than expected. Sleeping in wet gear is now a distant memory.
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I sleep very cold but don't camp in winter. So far, I have never used or missed doors, although I thought I absolutely had to have them. I guess it depends on what you want to do with your tarp.

I would recommend the Mamajamba if your focus lies on hiking, not camping; if you don't expect to hang in rainstorms often and/or your campsites will be somewhat protected (e.g. in the woods, with trees all around you). For the couple of times you expect to really bad weather, you could get Grizz Beaks or the WB door set for the MJ.

On the other hand if your focus is on camping, if you expect really bad weather frequently and/or have to hang in exposed places, the Superfly is probably the better choice.

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I am by no means an "expert" on hammock camping, but i do get out at least 1 weekend a month in the midwest (sometimes more) and i own several tarps, a Superfly, hammock gear Cuben fiber with doors and most recently an Edge . I also have a winter sock. each tarp is great, each has its good points and bad. With the winter we had last year I didnt even bring a tarp with from November thru March with just using the winter sock. Since then i have used all three depending on the weather forecast. So i guess what i am saying is, the right tarp is the tarp that is suited to what ever weather is going to throw at you.

Mark

Hammock
    DIY Black Mamba or Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Hex or WB Edge
    Insulation
    BanditTQ PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was making the same decision as you a while back and I went with the Edge. I was looking at the Edge and the Mamajamba and I ultimately decided that eventually I would get the Edge AND the Mamajamba's big brother, Mr. Superfly. Best of both worlds I say. I went with the Edge first though because I figured others use it successfully so why can't I? I have used the Edge tarp about 5 times since it arrived and I haven't needed or really wanted anything bigger. If it's windy or rainy I just hang a little tighter and its just fine. I have the WBB Multicam DL XLC (A LOT of hammock) and the Edge still provides be about a foot of coverage on each of end of it. Speaking of the WBB DL XLC... I went for the 'heavier option' for that purchase (unlike my tarp decision) and I regret it. I'm now looking at getting another hammock that is lighter. So for me, I guess I would go for weight first and luxury second. But to each their own...

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    You'll find it might eventually be a 2 tarp world to cover your venues, needs, conditions and seasons. Start with the SF. Brandon's Warbonnet Supper Fly (SF) is a great go-to tarp for most conditions. My son and I have evolved from ground dwelling DIY Ray Ways, DIY and purchased Hennessy diamonds, full DIY and Hammock Gear, to SF and now CF. We have used the SFs for several years and still use for scouting/base/dump/kayak camping and shorter treks in dead winter or if bad weather is called for. Go for the SF or DIY a SF (Plus doors) for the best in utility/coverage and a tarp you'll be happy to keep in your quiver. We have now moved to CF for longer treks. Our choice was Zpacks CF which shaved the tarp weight in half.
    If you go with the SF SEAM SEAL THE RIDGE AND PULLOUTS!!!

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Warbonnet Edge tarp, and have never gotten wet. In the wind and rain I pitch low and tight. However, there have been a couple nights where the wind is blowing JUST RIGHT to hit me in the face. While I can pull a buff up over my face to get rid of the chill, it'd be nice to have the option to just close up some doors and block out that breeze. Sometimes the wind is swirling, and doors are a nice thing to have as a just in case.

Always better to have them and not need them, than to not have them and want them.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Lots of advice to chew on here. But for me, it's both. Of course not everyone is going to buy two tarps at once, and neither did I.

But after going trip after trip after trip experiencing 67° and sunny, you start to "feel" that extra dead weight...mentally if not physically. But after a while a second purchase is likely to open up your options.

So I check the weather and usually take my Mamajamba. If there are storms in the forecast or those "all day" rain systems, then it's the superfly.

The "be prepared" is a gray area and highly personal choice. If I was truly prepared, I would have a 20x20 tarp...and a kitchen sink.

Hammock
    Hennessey Evader
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hook
    Images
    Since i have bought my SuperFly I have not looked back at my old tarp. It goes with me wherever my hammock goes. Love it! You can run it with doors open or closed. you can use it to funnel the cool breeze in to you if you want. It is just a great all around tarp. I couldnt have made a better choice.

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of information to take in and I appreciate that. I have also glanced at HG Cuben Fiber tarps. However, being in the south I think the fact that it provides little to no shade is almost a deal breaker. Which is a shame given the weight savings.
    I'm possibly the most indecisive person on this forum. Superfly has doors, probably never need them but good for windy weather and privacy.
    Other tarps are simply just lighter, which I could use some lightening up.
    I've also got to wait for my backpack to sell to buy anything. One use on the AT and I hate to lose money on it but its a large and I need a medium.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The SF will be great for all kinds of weather, not just snow. If you're out on multiday hikes, it may save you from unexpected squalls. Hex tarps can surely do the same, with limited inside space, but if you're with multiple people, it could be a party under the SF.

My tarp with doors, similar to the SF.
    IMG_0322 copy.jpg
    With the doors connected to each other, in porch mode.
    IMG_0372 copy.jpg IMG_0371 copy.jpg

My tarp is a DIY so it's heavier than the SF, but the inside space of both is just wonderful.
    IMG_0319 copy.jpg IMG_0156 copy.jpg IMG_0154 copy.jpg DSCF0214.jpg DSCF0028.jpg
    Zuki inside (raining), he's taller than me (5'9")
    DSCF0011.jpg
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast