Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 Man Winter Hammock Shelter (video)

Hey HF!

I got tired of sitting around inside so I decided to test my idea for a winter hammock shelter...

I usually camp w/ at least 1 other person, and carry separate shelters has never been my thing. This shelter uses a military pup tent ($15) and 2 6'x8' tarps. It accommodates 2 hammocks plus plenty of floor space for at least one ground dweller. There's also room for a stove if you'd like.

Tell me what you think!!

Peace
    -Nate

More images in my DIY pics section

Status Update:
    Last edited by nsgrossman; 12-14-2009 at 01:34.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Well, since he figured it out, I'll just change this post to say I like the idea. I'm planning to try something somewhat similar with a pair of 12x10 tarps. The nice thing about this is, they can each be pitched as a separate winter shelter if needed - ie no space for two hammocks to hang side by side.
    Last edited by Mustardman; 12-11-2009 at 13:49.

@mustardman

Much appreciated! Just took me a minute to remember how to embed youtube videos. :P

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not bad! Might could use a little tweaking on the top tarp & the cover for the end you mentioned, but not bad.
    Don't know what the Army pup tent weighs but I'm sure you could do something similar w/ silnylon if you wanted.
    Looks like it would keep most of the wind off you, especially after closing the end(s) a little.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Not bad! Might could use a little tweaking on the top tarp & the cover for the end you mentioned, but not bad.
    Don't know what the Army pup tent weighs but I'm sure you could do something similar w/ silnylon if you wanted.
    Looks like it would keep most of the wind off you, especially after closing the end(s) a little.
    I'll admit you've probably got a point with the silnylon; the main reason I chose to use the pup tent was because I already had it. I'm a college guy, and the cheapest I can figure a silnylon setup costing me is around $80(+) which isn't money I really want to be spending. The tent is reasonably heavy, but I plan on pulling a sled so hopefully that aspect of things will be offset a bit. I also really like the insulating value of the canvas, it really keeps the heat in, and doesn't blow around as much in heavy winds.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I used to hump that shelter half around for miles in the military, and it is heavy compared to today's standards, but it will absolutely keep you warm. But then again an 60-80lb pack in the military was about the average pack.

What the heck, you're young, your back is strong, use the heck out of it while you can. And it's in your price range... in the end, that's always the determining factor.

Great ingenuity! Improvising always builds skills and character.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Two Man Shelter

Your winter hammock shelter looks great. Thanks for posting the picture. Your design kind of reminds me of the JRB Hammock Hut and similar hammock tents. I have always liked that "full length" shelter concept for winter weather.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Your design kind of reminds me of the JRB Hammock Hut
    Thanks!! That's exactly what I was going for!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good stuff - everything has a tradeoff and all that matters is you're the one carrying it! So if the tradeoffs mean it gets you more time outdoors, then it's a good job.

Except that, on HF, no one is happy with anything they create so this will probably begin a whole new series of tweaks and mods until something else catches your DIY fancy!

Good looking project, and the price is right!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Yeah, nice job.

I have 2-half shelters as well. (The tent went to Woodstock in '69). I was thinking about how to add a stove jack to it to make a hot tent. Just an idea right now, I wonder if anyone has already done it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast