I have ENO, but would like a better camping hammock! Suggestions?

Hi gang,

I'm 62 years young, 5'10", 195 lbs. and looking for something a little better than my Eno hammock. I plan to backpack (not the Appalachian Trail...hahahah), staying out for a week or so at a time; camp from my Native Watercraft Slayer kayak; and/or camp from my Polaris RZR. My Eno setup consist of: Eno Doublenest hammock, Atlas XL straps, Eno Bug Net, Eno Blaze Underquilt, Eno Igniter Topquilt, Eno Underbelly Gear Sling, Eno Ridgeline, and Eno Housefly rain tarp. The closest specialty camping store is about 1-1/2 hours away.

I live in southwest Louisiana....mosquito central! So, a bug net of some type is virtually needed year round here. However, I plan to use it in Arkansas, W. Texas, Utah, and wherever else life may bring me. My wife chooses to stay in the 40' toy hauler....LOL! The only other hammock that I've actually had the chance to see in person, briefly, was the Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 Double Layer. Other than the 1.7 double layer holds a pad, has a shelf, and an additional 150 lbs capacity, what is the advantage over the 1.7 single layer? The same store also handles Hennessey hammocks (Expedition, I believe), and Kammock Roo, which I have not seen.

I'm not real worried about the weight. I can make that up somewhere else and its not like I'm headed out to hike a thousand miles. Good sleep is much more important, as is quality of the equipment. So, taking "low cost" out of the equation, could you give some advice?

Thanks in advance my friends!
    Karl

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Main advantages of a double layer is to 1-hold a par more securely and 2-greater weight capacity.

In terms of hammock choices - lots of choices out there. Warbonnet and Dream Hammocks are two of the best for hammocks with integrated bug nets. If you want something simpler I'd go with Dutchware - great fabric choices and lots of customization, including adding separate bug nets you can mix and match with depending on the situation.

If you want to go wild try a Warbonnet Ridgerunner - it's very comfortable for many (my personal choice).

The choice is ultimately up to what you need out of it and personal preference.

If you're having a tough time deciding go to the trips threads and find a local group hang. Lots of choices and great people and good chances to try stuff out in person.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

3rd benefit to layers is mosquitos cant bite through the weave of both layers.

At 5'10", I'd suggest if you're going for Hennessey, skip the Expedition and go for the Explorer. I'm 5'9" and use the Expedition, but it's definitely a shorter hammock. The Explorer models are a foot or so longer.

Otherwise, I can personally attest to the comfort of an 11 foot Dutchware hammock. Mine is 1.6 argon, netless. If you go that route, I'd pair it with a Fronkey bugnet. I'm sure someone will suggest browsing any of the other cottage vendors on here. Dream Hammocks get good reviews (I have no first hand experience with them). AHE has good bundles with hammock, suspension, quilts, tarps and so forth. Really, you can't go far wrong with any of the vendors who have a presence here on the forums.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you're not worried about weight, you already have a complete setup, so what is your motivation for replacing it?

You did say you were going to backpack, though, and reducing weight should be a major consideration for you. You can probably cut several pounds from your pack if you invest in better gear, and that really does make a huge difference on the body. Nothing will help you sleep better than less pain in your feet, legs, hips, and back!

I researched the heck out of lightweight gear and ultimately went with a Warbonnet Bkackbird single 1.1 (but I weigh 105 pounds), whoopie suspension, a top and bottom quilt set from Hammock Gear, and a cuben fiber tarp with doors from Hammock Gear.

I like the Blackbird mainly because I love the shelf. I find that more user friendly than a lot of stuff dangling from the ridge line. I like the tarp with doors for blocking wind (and rain) when needed but I often fold and tie the doors back for a view. And the hammock gear quilt set is gorgeous, well made, and light.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are going to use an UnderQuilt, then the double layer is not so necessary. But if you are not so concerned about the weight - it does give more options, holds more weight, and not as mosquito bite through. OR, you could just get a stand alone bug net that completely encloses the hammock - zipper opening and velcro closures on the ends - and continue to use your ENO for a while. If you are in real bug country, the independent bug net might be better, especially if you guy out the sides. It will keep the critters (and noise) further away from you and you can stand up out of the hammock and still be inside the netting - rather than immediately be "in the open" as soon as you swing your legs out of the hammock.

REI just finished their sale on hammocks (ENO and the Roo) but they have it from time to time.

But if you are car camping, then all the issues of light weight and storage (like the BB "shelf" or RR saddle bag) seem not so important. Seem the only issue is comfort and often that is influenced more by the hang than the hammock. I mean length and width do matter, but I'm finding the hang angle is more important than I thought. You are using XL Altas straps so you have sewn steps. Just one step or a slight change in hang angle can make a difference.

If you haven't made a ridge line for your ENO, I encourage you to do it. First find the most comfortable hang angle distance you can. Then measure the distance between hammock ends. This will be slightly different than when you are in the hammock but you will be setting it up out of the hammock anyway - so you are measuring the distance of the most comfortable hang when you are out of the hammock. Next, use some cord to make a line of that length that connects, either permanently or temporarily to the ends of the hammock. The next time you set up, you can use that cord as a measuring device to assure you have the same sag as your most comfortable hang.

Note that every hammock - maybe even the same brand - could be different in this regard because of various stretching and torque on the fabric.

I'm not at all trying to discourage getting more hammock/s. I'm just saying that in your situation, a lot of the "need" elements (ultra light, etc.) are not there. So you can focus on pure comfort.

Thanks for all your input gang! After all of the research, input from the forum, "hanger" friends, and input from sales people that were also "hangers", I finally decided upon the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7. I can still use some of my Eno accessories: Housefly, Topquilt, and Underquilt with it. Probably put the Singelnest, Dryfly, Bugnet and other accessories in my truck as a "just in case" one of the kids or a friend wants to go. Again, thank you all........

• + New Posts