Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    1.0 is great if you don't have back or shoulder issues. Not quite enough lumbar support for me and I'm also sensitive to shoulder squeeze. While I can spend a night or two in 1.0, I couldn't do so long term. I chose 1.6 to carry but prefer 2.4 for use at home. 5'4", <=150lbs. Yes, I'm sure I represent the extreme oddball. The only way to know for certain is to get a 1.0 and a 1.6 and spend a few nights in them. It's how you feel when you wake up in the morning that counts. If you wake up more achy feeling in one vs the other, then there's your answer, regardless of weight difference.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    Wonderful. Thank you all for the info. It seems that the 1.0 will do just fine for me. Maybe the 1.6 will be added to my arsenal as well, just to keep my options open.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'd recommend getting both and actually testing both fabrics to make sure that you're comfortable. You don't want to be carrying an uncomfortable hammock for months.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    I use the 1.0 and its great.super comfy, definitely stretches the perfect amount, the "pocket" you lay in on the diagonal is easy to find. My suspension and pillow all fit in the large double ended stuff sack provided. I'll get the haviest hexon for my nxt one, dutch claims its puppy paw proof. I did put a hole in my blue when the suspension sagged more than I accounted for and my shoulder met a rock. Kinda scraped the hole into the hammock, and it still held all night. It'll become a new pillow and some ridgeline organizers probably, because the blue is beautiful.

EDIT: I use the 1.0 as my regular bed at home, i have a bad lower back and this has been the most comfortable hammck i've climbed into yet. Excitd to see if i dig the 2.4 more.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    5'11", 190lbs. I have a 10' Hexon 1.0 and really like it. It is pretty comparable in it's stretch to PolyD1.2 in my opinion. Main difference is the Hexon material has a much nicer feel to it than the PolyD, IMO.

Looks like your kit is pretty dialed in, with good, light options for your big 3. Can't really say more without a detailed gear list, but it looks like you are solid to start. I personally love the Ohm 2.0. I have hauled 30lbs in that thing for a couple days and 30 miles, and it did awesome. And the cuben tarp is a great call. Full coverage tarp for half the weight of a silny hex is pretty hard to beat.

Enjoy the trail!

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    At 160# you should be fine with the lighter material, is my opinion.
    The tarp with doors is great when you need doors. You may need to carry a few more stakes to best set the doors where you want them. When I skipped that, the doors were a little bit noisy in the breeze when the doors were tied to the inside walls. On a long hike, you will get accustomed to the noise and can put the extra stakes in the bounce box.

I wanted stakes about where a tarp without doors would end, then another stake to set each door open or closed. That is four more stakes. Is there a trick for that? I've used rocks for tieouts but that is in camps where I've been there before.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    I never had a tarp with doors, but i think they make a clippy that does kinda what you're askin. Again, never tried it. Seems like your stakes would be the best way, anyway.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Purely out of gear boredom and a quiet sewing machine, I think I will order 4 yds of hexon 1.0. Been wanting to try this for a long time now.

5'9", 165lb. I even like some stretchier materials so I think it will work for me. Maybe even something other than black this time!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    WB Sprfly &amp; Thundr
    Insulation
    HG 40deg
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I would rather carry the extra weight of 1.6 and know it would hold me the whole AT then risk my hammock not lasting the whole trip.

It's interesting to see the body weights vary so much regarding comfort in the 1.0. I recently got a Chameleon in the 1.6 as a step up from the 1.0.

I'm only 140-145 lbs but had issues with shoulder squeeze with the 1.0. I must be really sensitive to shoulder squeeze, epecially after carrying a backpack or riding a bike all day. This really sets in after a couple days...

So far the 1.6 has been perfect. I have slept so well with this new hammock. I'm glad I got it shipped out shortly before all this COVID-19 stuff happened.

(Thanks for the quick turnaround, Dutch!! You've given me several good nights of sleep!!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast