Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel

Easiest Hammock Suspension for Kids???

Hey guys,
    I am giving away my first cheapo hammock to a lady in my office for her grandkid which I purchased before getting into DIY. I had removed the cheap factory rope used at the end of the hammock and replaced with amsteel loops. Trying to figure out the best suspension for a 10 year old to figure out himself. I am not going to be there to teach him how to use it, so simpler is better. I can make the straps and anything amsteel for him as I have plenty of leftover, but I am not going to purchase anything extra- bling, etc. Thoughts?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by foxrun View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am giving away my first cheapo hammock to a lady in my office for her grandkid which I purchased before getting into DIY. I had removed the cheap factory rope used at the end of the hammock and replaced with amsteel loops. Trying to figure out the best suspension for a 10 year old to figure out himself. I am not going to be there to teach him how to use it, so simpler is better. I can make the straps and anything amsteel for him as I have plenty of leftover, but I am not going to purchase anything extra- bling, etc. Thoughts?
    Chinch buckles ,, $5.00 and splice the loops onto it and to the hammock yourself,,DONE,,

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Chinch buckles ,, $5.00 and splice the loops onto it and to the hammock yourself,,DONE,,
    +1 - cinch buckles are one of the simplest, most reliable things for younger ones to use and adjust themselves.

An additional consideration is how to get the straps connected around the trees - especially with things spliced directly to the hammock - as feeding through the fixed eye at the end of the strap won't work. An inexpensive set of properly-rated carabiners might be necessary - either for you to decide to purchase or to recommend to him to buy.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Daisy chains or cinch buckles are easiest. Both would require buying hardware though, and i know you're wanting to avoid that.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    You could make daisy chains if you have webbing and a sewing machine. Then you could pick up some inexpensive steel biners at a hardware store or even some heavy duty S hooks which would be very inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Blue Poly 8x10
    Insulation
    CCF pad, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Daisychains
    +1 on the daisy chains, that is what I have set up for my little sisters and it works great. But you would have to buy some materials

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Buckles for kids...seems to be the easiest for my grandchildren and also for new users for hammocks too
    Turk3

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    We need to give ten year olds more credit--they are curious and fully capable of understanding a simple hitch. You can find plenty of youTube videos on how to tie a Marlin spike hitch (including my own 1 minute wordless clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWTOrkZTpeY shameless plug!).

Here's Derek Hansen teaching the becket hitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7LZTHcNXs8
    seven minutes, but well worth it. That's even simpler than the MSH and you could even include a diagram. Like this:becket Hitch.jpg
    and this:
    Marlin spike.jpg

When I give away a hammock with a closed loop and strap, I include diagrams of the MSH and Becket, as well as the search terms to find the right youTube videos. Even if I show the new owner after they win the auction, I don't expect them to remember. Also, I include a disclaimer, about how a hammock isn't a trampoline and not to hang higher than a toilet seat (16-18").

After all, if you spent another $5, shipping NOT included, on a pair of cinch buckles, wouldn't you still feel like teaching a slippery half hitch as "insurance" against slipping?

If you have any doubt that the intended recipient will learn how to tie, you'll find another recipient, no problem. Who doesn't like a hammock?
    Last edited by kayak4water; 06-01-2016 at 20:38.

Hammock
    Custom 11.5' 1.6 Hyper D Gathered
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Thanks everyone. Made a set of python straps for him last night. Came out real well. Hard to beat how easy they are to use and I have miles of webbing at home- so I didn't need to spend any extra $. Thanks again!

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    THE J-BEND!!!! Long straps are key for it to wok PERFECTLY but its pretty simple.....and theres FINALLY a video....search 'J-Bend How-to' on youtube
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast