Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underquilts.com Top Quilt

Hello guys! So way back in 2013 I bought an underquilt shell and a top quilt shell from Underquilts.com. And I never got around to stuffing them! Whoops!

So I understand that Dave is no longer in business. I'm just trying to find out how much down I'm supposed to buy. A long time ago I exchanged emails with him about stuffing the underquilt. My underquilt is the Lewis full length one with 9 baffles. To get a 30% overfill (cold sleeper) I needed 1 oz per baffle for a total of 9 oz for the underquilt only. Now the top quilt is another story. I have no idea the name of the top quilt, but he customized the dimensions for me since I'm smaller. 65" length and 45" width. Not sure how many baffles. Does anyone have an Underquilt.com top quilt that could tell me how many baffles and how much down per baffle to use? I found some general info that maybe he did 16 baffles, but 16 oz of down seems like a lot. But I'm no expert, you guys are. Thanks for any help!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    Unless I am misunderstanding, if the side is open ready for fill you should be able to both count the baffles as well as measure their height. Or is it sewn through? If you measure the height of the baffles and provide the number, along with the length and width you mention above, we should be able to tell you about how much to put in and what the likely temp rating was.
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I saved a copy of Dave's table telling how much down to use. It gives the basic amount of down for the individual quilt (1 season, 3 season or winter.) If you can tell me which of these classes your TQ is supposed to be, I can tell you what his table says. Most of the cottage vendors provide more down than the table recommends.

Like you say above, I stuffed my 3 season Foyle (3/4 length) with 1 oz per chamber for a total of 9 oz of 850 cu in / oz down. It kept me warm once at 25 deg. Ironfish45 has that quilt now and could perhaps comment on how it has done for her.
    Last edited by PappyAmos; 06-02-2016 at 20:30.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    I saved a copy of Dave's table telling how much down to use. It gives the basic amount of down for the individual quilt (1 season, 3 season or winter.) If you can tell me which of these classes your TQ is supposed to be, I can tell you what his table says. Most of the cottage vendors provide more down than the table recommends.

Like you say above, I stuffed my 3 season Foyle (3/4 length) with 1 oz per chamber for a total of 9 oz of 850 cu in / oz down. It kept me warm once at 25 deg. Ironfish45 has that quilt now and could perhaps comment on how it has done for her.
    Thanks for the info. I'm a lucky owner of an unstuffed Foyle myself. Dave said it would be a 20 degree range UQ. So that seems about right.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Sparrow (DH)
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Any other manufactures doing something like this? Sewn but not filled underquilts? That might make a nice little quick DIY project.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rphen View Post
    Any other manufactures doing something like this? Sewn but not filled underquilts? That might make a nice little quick DIY project.
    http://www.wildernesslogics.com/UNDE...SHELLS-UQS.htm

Hey PappyAmos, would you mind sending me that table? I would love to take a look at it. So I found that the top quilt from Underquilts.com is called the Barnaby and it is a 3 season quilt. He custom sized it for me 65" length and 45" width and it has 16 baffles. I'd like to make it as warm as possible because I'm such a cold sleeper! Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    PM sent. Please verify you received it and can read it.
    Thanks,
    Pappy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ- MacCat
    Insulation
    Leighlo, JRB MT 4
    Images

If I could get a copy too that would be great. I have a Barnaby (Topquilt) And I believe a Lewis (not quite full length underquilt)
    Thanks
    Sam

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    PM sent. Please verify OK