Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Underquilt with moisture protection?

Hey Guys,

I'm planing to make my first Underquilt, got some good 800 cuin downs, about 20 oz.

But... I'm reading lots of tutorial, but I never found anyone using moisture membranes or Down waterproofing O_o?
    I think I'll try "Euroliner Transparent" to attach it to the outer layer and additionally wash my down with Nikwax Downproof.

Or is that not worth the hassle? And just put a second outer layer over the Underquilt?

Cheers

Tig3rch3n

I used a layer of the .9 osy membrane silpoly on the outside of my underquilt. It's not recommended due to it trapping moisture, but being in kansas where the wind blows 10+ mph all the time I needed the wind protection. Plus the wind keeps any build up from occurring. If I was else where i wouldn't have done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    I used a layer of the .9 osy membrane silpoly on the outside of my underquilt. It's not recommended due to it trapping moisture, but being in kansas where the wind blows 10+ mph all the time I needed the wind protection. Plus the wind keeps any build up from occurring. If I was else where i wouldn't have done this.
    Do you have a link to that stuff?
    The Membrane I want to use is not trapping the moisture, I hope, one-way its blocking moisture, water and wind and letting moisture thru in the other direction

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think a waterproof quilt is a good idea: just look at the number of waterproof quilts on the market. I only know of one quilt maker who uses waterproof material on their quilts (Keep Calm and Hike On), so that tells you what a popular idea it is.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Cuben has been used effectively by Grizz and Enlightened Equipment. Check 'em out via google, youtube.

Its from ripstop by the roll https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/membrane-silpoly

I know it's not popular but 20 mph winds rob heat fast, and im always camping by rivers or lakes cause there isnt much hiking around kansas. It works great for me tho.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Cuben has been used effectively by Grizz and Enlightened Equipment. Check 'em out via google, youtube.
    You might be overstating the "effectively" part. Grizzly Adams is not a vendor, and Enlightened Equipment apparently doesn't sell a cuben quilt.

There's an extremely small minority of people who don't have condensation problems with non-breathable quilts. However, the market indicates that there is no "market" for those people. You're a very small minority if you're using waterproof, nonbreathable quilts, so small that there's only one vendor (Keep Calm and Hike On) who even sells waterproof, nonbreathable quilts. I'd be surprised if he sells many quilts at all.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rch3n View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm planing to make my first Underquilt, got some good 800 cuin downs, about 20 oz.

But... I'm reading lots of tutorial, but I never found anyone using moisture membranes or Down waterproofing O_o?
    I think I'll try "Euroliner Transparent" to attach it to the outer layer and additionally wash my down with Nikwax Downproof.

Or is that not worth the hassle? And just put a second outer layer over the Underquilt?

Cheers

Tig3rch3n
    We are coming out with a new 7D ROBIC that is made for things like this. It's designed to shed water much better than a standard DWR (>1000 mm HH) and still be fairly breathable. If you're counting grams, it's only 0.75 osy. The price is higher, but like most everything else you get what you pay for.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    We are coming out with a new 7D ROBIC that is made for things like this. It's designed to shed water much better than a standard DWR (>1000 mm HH) and still be fairly breathable. If you're counting grams, it's only 0.75 osy. The price is higher, but like most everything else you get what you pay for.
    How do you quantify "fairly breathable?" Compared to what? Cuben fiber? Silnylon? Silpoly? How does it compare to the DWR finish of Argon 90 (15D) or Argon 67 (10D)?

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    How do you quantify "fairly breathable?" Compared to what? Cuben fiber? Silnylon? Silpoly? How does it compare to the DWR finish of Argon 90 (15D) or Argon 67 (10D)?
    Fairly (actually VERY) breathable compared to any silnylon, silpoly, cuben, or any standard silicone or PU coated waterproof fabric. A standard DWR will typically have an HH rating much lower than 1000 mm. If a fabric with DWR has anything close to a 1000 mm HH, it typically weighs a good bit more than the same denier with a standard DWR. I don't have test data, but I'm positive our Membrane 10 has an HH lower than 1000 mm.

If we're talking data, the metric for breathability is MVTR. The 7D I'm talking about will have an MVTR of at least 7000 gsm/24 hr.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast