Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    PLUQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    DutchBeetle/Straps

My First DIY Project: The PLUQ

I completed my first DIY project over the weekend: The PLUQ! I don't have a sewing machine, so I needed a no-sew option and it fit the bill.

I used KDawgCrazy's YouTube instructions (see below; based off of theultimatehang.com instructions), and it couldn't have been easier!

I did a couple of alterations, though, based off materials and my poncho liner:
    • I didn't add the secondary suspension. I didn't have enough shock cord left, but it was optional, so when I test it this weekend, I'll better know if I need it or not.
    • My poncho liner had the ties sewn on in such a way to leave a small loop in them (pictures forthcoming). I ran my head and foot adjustment shock cord through them for just a little extra security against tearing when weigh is applied. If I'd not already strung the primary suspension, I would have put it through there... but threading that shock cord again was not something I really wanted to do. When I make one for my son in the upcoming weeks, I'll probably do his through the loops.

It was a super-easy project and KDawg walks you through it nicely. I spent a total of $53 on supplies, all through Amazon with Prime shipping. Down the road, I plan on getting a sewing machine, and then I can convert it to a sewn version with extra insulation. I'm thinking that what I have now will work for me in the summer and maybe early fall months.

I get to test it this weekend, so I'll update this thread after my trip with photos of it in use (or sooner! See update below)

I think the DIY bug has bitten me, though. I'm thinking this could get expensive. lol

KDawgCrazy PLUQ DIY Video

Update: I went to my sister's to test my setup. She has 4 acres and woods with trails; I can't believe I didn't think of coming here before. Anyhow... pictures!

The loop I ran the adjustment cord through:

Hanging out:

My test camp and camp helper:

My PLUQ in place and ready to go:
    Last edited by Skylara; 06-06-2016 at 21:33. Reason: Added photos.
    “I'm an adventurer, looking for treasure.” ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I did the same, except i cut an old sleeping bag in half and made 2. Mine is sewn tho. I used some old shoe lace i cut in half for my 2nd suspension at each end, I added grommets on the corners to tie to.

Can't wait to see your pictures

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylara View Post
    • I didn't add the secondary suspension. I didn't have enough shock cord left, but it was optional, so when I test it this weekend, I'll better know if I need it or not.
    • My poncho liner had the ties sewn on in such a way to leave a small loop in them (pictures forthcoming). I ran my head and foot adjustment shock cord through them for just a little extra security against tearing when weigh is applied. If I'd not already strung the primary suspension, I would have put it through there... but threading that shock cord again was not something I really wanted to do. When I make one for my son in the upcoming weeks, I'll probably do his through the loops.
    instead of a secondary suspension in my apex underquilt, i sewed in a cordlock in each corner that has the main suspension running through it (basically, i ran both the main suspension line and the end channel cords through it)... for you, you could tie those cordlocks to the original poncho tie points... then you can position the underquilt on the main suspension and the cordlocks will keep it in place (ie, not let is sink down the line to the center)...

i hope i'm explaining that correctly...

john

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    made the same PLUQ a little over a year ago, it's been hanging on a hammock for a year now and gets used almost ever day. Have fun testing yours this weekend.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    PLUQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    DutchBeetle/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    instead of a secondary suspension in my apex underquilt, i sewed in a cordlock in each corner that has the main suspension running through it (basically, i ran both the main suspension line and the end channel cords through it)... for you, you could tie those cordlocks to the original poncho tie points... then you can position the underquilt on the main suspension and the cordlocks will keep it in place (ie, not let is sink down the line to the center)...

i hope i'm explaining that correctly...

john
    That's a great idea! Then I can get the adjustment I want so it hangs correctly when I'm laying diagonally. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    PLUQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    DutchBeetle/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    made the same PLUQ a little over a year ago, it's been hanging on a hammock for a year now and gets used almost ever day. Have fun testing yours this weekend.
    Thanks! I'm actually testing it as we speak, and I update the original post with pictures.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    PLUQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    DutchBeetle/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    Can't wait to see your pictures
    I've added them! I was playing with the adjustment and it moved from under my shoulder. I felt an immediate temp difference. This is going to be so nice to have.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    This was the first camping DIY for my wife and I as well, using KDawg's video. It works great, we've had them out down to 50* no problem.

We have some downy goodness TQ and UQ on order, but will probably keep our PLUQs for summer duty and loaners.

If you decide on the secondary suspension after all, Coglan's bungee cord is pretty cheap on Amazon and Dutch has some lightweight shock cord for a good price as well.

Be careful, once that DIY fever hits the cure can be costly! Happy hanging!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    SnuggPak
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Beautiful work.I just messaged a seller on ebay about buying some surplus gear,a poncho like yours was on the list.The weather is starting to cool off down here,so I look forward to knocking together a PLUQ for a couple moto camping trips.
    Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

• + New Posts