Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I did take this hammock out on an overnighter...I didn't notice the static.
    I still think the boy was just electric!
    the lie was very flat...my back actually hurt! (I need more sag!)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Just a quick, perhaps stupid question, but with Rockywoods they often don't give a weight other than a shipping weight which often seems very high. Do you call for the actual fabric weight, only choose from the fabrics where weight is given, or have some secret calculations?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Just a quick, perhaps stupid question, but with Rockywoods they often don't give a weight other than a shipping weight which often seems very high. Do you call for the actual fabric weight, only choose from the fabrics where weight is given, or have some secret calculations?
    JerryW actually weighed his...I believe the actual was 1.95.
    Rockywood actually gave the weight as 1.92 on their website
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Rockywoods usually lists the running yard weight. To get the weight per square yard you then need the actual width to do the calculation.

They told us that they only list a real weight after the first sale when they can actually weigh the fabric.

So when that same posting 1.92oz/yd2 fabric is listed as 4oz/yd shipping, that is because of the width? Guess that makes sense if the width is a little over 2 yards, but it's listed as 56-60". Still doesn't add up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    So when that same posting 1.92oz/yd2 fabric is listed as 4oz/yd shipping, that is because of the width? Guess that makes sense if the width is a little over 2 yards, but it's listed as 56-60". Still doesn't add up.
    hmmm, never thought of that.
    I'm always comparing different fabrics against each other and weight per sq yd is the only consistent way to do that.
    I always guessed that shipping weight was a rounded up weight to help calculate shipping costs...never asked though as the REAL weight is the weight per sq yd.

I asked the question mainly because I got frustrated looking at the Rockywoods site when so many of the fabrics just have a shipping weight (which often seemed ridiculously high). I ended up buying 1.9oz nylon from E. Speers.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm pretty sure that what happened is "good intentions".

When they made up the original web site, they told the designer to allow for fabric weight and to put some number that is ridiculously high that nobody would believe. They then intended to insert the running yard weight as they sold fabric ( that part is what they informed us in an email anyway). Good intentions being what they are and since they are all probably very busy, they then forgot to weigh fabric as shipped and insert the correct weight. I know that they did go back and insert the correct weight for some fabric that TeeDee purchased last year or the year before (a long time back anyway ) after he emailed and asked the actual weight informing them that the real weight is important to backpackers. I think they then tended to forget their original intentions again.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Here's a few pictures of mine. Same polyester ripstop material as animalcontrol for the bed material with a 1.1 nylon ripstop second layer. The finished size is also 58" x 132" and I used a 112" ridgeline.

This thing is extremely roomy and comfortable. The extra 12" of length makes a world of difference(to me anyway). The second layer is so I can try adding some foot end insulation without it being inside the hammock. I might also try experimenting with some full length Insultex between the layers. The bugnet can be unzipped and rolled up along one side.

Jerry
    Great looking hammock. I love how you did the bugnet/solid fabric top part. That looks like something I would like to try.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    animalcontrol and JerryW both made nice looking rigs and sold me on this fabric, so on a spur I ordered 9yds of this material.
    I really liked JerryW's, told him I'd like to clone it, he was kind enough too offer his help.
    After a few weeks practice behind the sewing machine I may take you up on that Jerry

This stuff feels wonderful

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast