Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers
    I have a Phoenix 20* UQ with standard fill and I was fine at 30* with a worn out sleeping bag. I'm 5'8" and 140# and I didn't get cold at all. I'm going to get a JRB Greylock 4 to go a little colder but I don't think I need a full length. I don't plan on going below 10* though.

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I was actually following your several threads and it bounced me back and forth for awhile too. I actually even sold a phoenix 40 because the cord up over my foot was bothering me so much. Then something SilvrSurfr mentioned in one of those threads clicked on a light bulb for me that my problem was actually "psychosomatic" because, as he mentioned the shock cord is in the exact same place it's just covered by fabric and what not on full length quilts. Well duh, I felt really stupid. I sleep like a dormant volcano , cold has never been an issue so I immediately ordered a Dutch version phoenix 40. That little lesson cost me a few bucks but oh well, it's been fun to follow your though process on this whole thing and I learned a thing or two as well. Love it, no matter how long you've been into this stuff, always learning something new.
    What is a "Dutch model phoenix 40?" how is it different from a regular phoenix 40?

Thanks looking to get a phoenix (my first UQ) want to go armed with info Thanks.
    R22

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I've always been a proponent of full length quilts. Having a standard length (78") Incubator in 0°, 20° and 40° flavors, I was set. But then I decided to try the short version (73"). At 5'9", this was still plenty to cover me from my neck to a few inches past my feet...nice peace of mind for cold feet. With lots of down (top quilt and bottom quilt) the reduction in bulk is always welcome..
    Hi Mark,
    Re-reading your comments, I am curious why a 73"quilt for your 5'9"body (ie 69" body) does not cover you from top of the head to end of the feet when accounting for the extra 4" of length of your quilt and the diagonal lay.
    I understand that feet extended when lying might add a bit to your overall length but I am still surprised the 73" UQ is not enough for complete coverage! (Trying to optimize length on my first underquilt).
    Thanks for any insights, Minos

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I hung with some friends who are experienced hangers this last weekend and as we talked about different approaches we realized that we really don't get too set in our ways. Part of the reason I have a lot of gear may be just to satisfy my mood at the time in terms of which tarp, hammock or underquilt I decide to use. I guess for me that is what makes it fun. The limits are only my own openness and creativity. Though admittedly, sometimes it is just laziness, I take the easy route. Regardless i get to choose and experience some variety as I make effort to sleep well and be outdoors. I am over 6 ft. tall and used a phoenix for years. I just curled up a bit. I still like to use it in the summer. My wife often tells me I have the curiosity and orneriness of a 9 year old.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    My only real issue is volume. I feel if I move away from my 3/4 or 2/3 lengths into full length, I'll either need a different pack or have to learn to radically change my current packing system to accommodate the additional bulk.

I'm not even all that concerned about weight. I find it hard to argue with more downy goodness. There are a lot of other places to strip the weight.

I'm also 5'6", roll on my side, bend my knees a little bit, and I am pretty much on my UQ
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I'm also jumping down that rabbit hole, just ordered a 40* phoenix I was flip flopping on committing to my order for about a week, I usually sleep above a 20*Incubator but in the south it gets pretty hot and stick in the summer, so I chose to try it out. Lighting up my pack want hurt, and if my feet are a little cooler I think I can manage.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    in weather cold enough to need a balaclava, I like a full length. anything around freezing up to summer, I like 3/4 length...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    Hi Mark,
    Re-reading your comments, I am curious why a 73"quilt for your 5'9"body (ie 69" body) does not cover you from top of the head to end of the feet when accounting for the extra 4" of length of your quilt and the diagonal lay.
    I understand that feet extended when lying might add a bit to your overall length but I am still surprised the 73" UQ is not enough for complete coverage! (Trying to optimize length on my first underquilt).
    Thanks for any insights, Minos
    I think the short does cover me completely. Trying to remember...but can't. So I had to dig up this photo of the 73", a perfect fit!

One comment about the "lying on the diagonal" thing. Everyone seems to buy this but I think it's TOTAL BS. Maybe on paper, maybe on a flat floor with a flat piece of cloth. NOT in a hammock. Once you get in and move around, and things start stretching and forming, the UQ wraps up the sides of you, those "extra" inches aren't there IMO. It becomes very clear with this 73" version. Do I have 4 extra inches? No. In fact, it's the opposite. I'd say it's "shrinks" and leaves me with maybe 2" to spare.

p.s. for the most reduction without leaving your legs un-insulated, I went with a 62" Phincubator. The absolute minimum for me.
    Thank you Hammockgear - 30° Phincubator is a winner!
    (sorry, dropbox killed all my linked images)
    Last edited by OneClick; 04-04-2017 at 07:32.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I'm 74" tall and my short Incubator at 73" covers me completely. Go figure...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Sounds about right since I have 2" to spare. That 3" leftover difference will depend on how it's positioned exactly at the head/foot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast