Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

NY State DEC says "camping hammocks" not allowed in DEC campgrounds.

I went to Forked Lake State Park Campground over the Memorial Day weekend with my girlfriend.....when I registered they told me that hammocks are not allowed to be used as camping equipment. They could be set up for daytime use, but not for camping in........ of course this makes absolutely zero sense.... I Posted to the DEC Facebook page today to get an answer on the rule that was dated 2013,

"Hello there. I was hoping to get some clarification on your hammock policy! A rule list from 2013 said that they were not allowed in your campgrounds as the main form of camping. I wondered if that had been updated or if that was still the case. The rule said they could be set up, but not used as a sleeping unit... it didn't make much sense to me......what if someone took a nap during the day? Does hammock usage become a violation the moment someone falls asleep?
    Responsible hammock usage with tree-straps leaves less trace than tents, plus they re infinitely more comfortable. Thank you for any information you can provide!"

and they said

" Doug, the rules with regards to hammocks have not changed. We do not allow hammocks as your sleeping unit. That doesn't mean you can't have a hammock, and as you stated "nap" in it, it just means that you will need to have a tent, trailer or RV as your overnight sleeping equipment. Hope that answers your question! Happy Camping!"

So why does this rule exist? It couldn't be to protect trees, as they allow hanging at any time of the day, as long as you have a tent/camper/etc. Do we need to set up a "dummy tent" if we want to hang in the DEC parks?

I ask, " This doesn't make any sense...... why allow hammocks during the day, but not to sleep in? What is the rule trying to prevent? If you are trying to prevent tree damage (which does not happen when using tree straps), why allow them at all?"

They reply "Hammocks are not to be used for overnight sleeping due to their inability to provide the level of privacy that tents, trailers and RVs are able to provide to the user and other campers in our facilities."

Outrageous, right? Ignorance about hammocking is still causing problems for campers who want to live above the ground.

https://www.facebook.com/NYSDECcampgrounds

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Set up a tent for changing clothes, lest someone see a naked human (oh the horror) and then take a nap in your hammock overnight.

Traveled to Europe several times in the past year....WOW we are such prudes in America. Watching TV in Austria on my most recent trip....nudity on the screen! Hurray! I love nudity. No violence on the screen. Hurray! I don't like violence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps

The next logical question is what if my tarp pitched over my hammock does provide the same level of privacy as a tent?

I truly hate rules that are illogical and fear based...and I wonder about the people that cling inflexibly to them...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    The next logical question is what if my tarp pitched over my hammock does provide the same level of privacy as a tent?

I truly hate rules that are illogical and fear based...and I wonder about the people that cling inflexibly to them...
    I actually posted a picture in the facebook thread of a large tarp, with doors, and asked if it offered enough privacy.... assuming showing your feet is okay! haha.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to Nanny State...I mean, New York State
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    The funny part, is on the DEC website where you can take "interactive 360 degree campground tours", one of the pictures has a fully set up hammock with tarp.......... for "nap use only" I'm sure.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps

Got watch out for those people who use hammocks at night...they're probably part of the national opioid crisis too.

Anyway...I say use your hammock and if confronted just say your daytime nap went a little long

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    All that being said......the campground host told us "I can't go around checking every campsite for hammocks", while his assistant laughed along with me and agreed that the legislation was meaningless and worthless. And with that....we found a great spot to hang ourselves.

13331036_10206923455788450_5056972419329543362_n.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yep, another ridiculous NY law that I will not abide by.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've never ran into a ranger anywhere I've been. Then again, I only camp in State Forests and backcountry parts of the National Park. The only time I was in a SP was when I was on the wild side of Letchworth.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast