WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Horses eating equipment?

So I've been warned by other campers that the park I'm going to has some wild horses that like to "eat tents". I don't really know what this means, but I imagine it's not good for my hammock. I'm probably going to need to sleep on the edge of the tree line, so trees won't protect me. Any advice?

I'm thinking of just coating everything with permethrin, but would that work as a deterrent, or just kill the horses? Is it safe to spray on CF?

In a similar vein, would permethrin on a bag keep out the pesky mice and squirrels?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Is that the park on the beach that has wild horses?

While the permethrin will be a great idea to keep other critters away I don't think it will deter animals. My dog loves my socks... I mean loves them. The permethrin didnt faze him in any way.

Logis dictates that there is already a horse/animal deterent availible somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

I've seen it happen at Assateague Island, MD. It's very important not to let food, lotions, toothpaste, etc., enter your tent. Keep all such items locked in your car, as well as all food, cooler and cooking utensils. If a wild horse smells food in your tent, it will take a chomp out of your tent material. If it still smells the food, it will walk through the hole it just created. Talk about a rude awakening! Beyond the destruction, wild horses leave a gross coating of snotty slime ever everything. Your extreme attention to storing food and other scent items in your vehicle is critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, they associate coolers with food. Don't leave it exposed. Lock it in your vehicle, or they'll slime it and eat your food.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by E the B View Post
    I've seen it happen at Assateague Island, MD. It's very important not to let food, lotions, toothpaste, etc., enter your tent. Keep all such items locked in your car, as well as all food, cooler and cooking utensils. If a wild horse smells food in your tent, it will take a chomp out of your tent material. If it still smells the food, it will walk through the hole it just created. Talk about a rude awakening! Beyond the destruction, wild horses leave a gross coating of snotty slime ever everything. Your extreme attention to storing food and other scent items in your vehicle is critical.

I'm hiking in, so no car. I don't know if the trees will be tall enough to do a horse hang.
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 06-11-2016 at 15:52.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Horses can and do bite/chew on things people would rather they not. You can maybe spray some kind of bitter spray on your stuff, but it will smell like a food item and that might cause another host of issues. Best advice is to just make sure none of your stuff smells like something a horse might want to eat.

-Advice from a horse owner
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Can you bring a dog? Sometimes they are good deterrents. :-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB U, Loco Libre T
    Suspension
    Webbing & buckles
    I have camped at Grayson Highlands many times, both in a tent and a hammock, and woke at night to the sound of the ponies grazing their way through my campsite. They never chewed on anything of mine. It is a little unsettling to wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of chewing coming from right beside your tent/hammock.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Look I have woken to noisy sheep and coughing deer... and other critters.

Bushwacker - Permethrin is not Horseyicide - its Insecticide. It doesn't kill Horses!
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Hammeck
    In fact don't some people put it on their horses to give them relief from bugs?

Not sure if it works on horses, but I know cayenne pepper deters animals such as dogs from peeing on things such as your garden. It's safe for the environment, and could possibly deter a horse, but I can't say I've tested it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast