WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    In short, it depends. On how warm you sleep, conditions, etc. You can always vent - the TQ especially. You can also vent an UQ, although I've found that less important. I've used a 20deg UQ on a 60 degree day and was good for a nap.

The bigger issue is cost, weight and space. If you can afford them and don't need something lighter go with the 0degree and just vent as needed. If you backpack a lot, it may be worth a 20 degree and a 0 degree.

All that said, I'd say if your lows are above freezing you'll be doing a lot of venting. Between 20 and freezing you may need to vent a bit. Below 20 or 25 and you'll be happy you have the 0 and won't need to vent at all.

If I were in the south I wouldn't even think about it. Looks like you're in Colorado (as am I). If you camp much in the winter or extreme shoulder seasons or are a very cold sleeper and don't mind the extra weight, go with the 0. Otherwise, consider a 20deg set. That's what I have for camping May - October, I'm an average sleeper warmth wise and it treats me well.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I'm a cold sleeper in a cold climate, but my 0* quilts also come off May - October, and the 20's go on.
    I'm a full time, outdoor sleeper and the nights are cool even in the summer.
    Will probably bring my 0* TQ with me on a trip this July, but I'll be camping at around 9-10,000 ft. Ice out on the lake I'm heading for is usually in July. Night time temps up there are usually in the 30's to low 40's.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    IMO a 0*UQ is good till 60 then I would say it might be iffy to find the right vent vs too hot combo. For the TQ I would say 40-50*ish beyond that any part under the quilt will be to Hot and anything hanging out be to cold....in other words in might be difficult to balance things just right.
    My 20* UQ is good to about 68* then its got to go. The 20* TQ for me is good to 60* then it gets hard to find the balance and the 40*TQ fills in till nothing is required.

So the dilemma is one almost needs 3 sets but the 20* set is about as versatile as it gets for one set all yr....but if your focused on more winter camping than summer and can only do one set get the 0
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use my HG 20* quilts 80% of the time, a 3/4 Phoenix and a Burrow. It's nice to have 0* quilts, but not what I'd recommend for a 1st purchase.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I'm a cold sleeper and I have a 30° UQ and a 40° UQ for some of fall/spring and all summer. Then I also have a 0° TQ/UQ (both with 2 oz overstuffing), and use them for winter.

I agree with SilvrSurfr, that a 20° quilt set would probably be best for the average person all year long (unless you live in an extremely cold or hot area).

I went and checked, you live in CO, which means you can get some pretty extreme weather. I'd still recommend the 20° quilts, then getting something better for extreme winter camping (if you do that).

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    For me: any expected low temp above 30° F and my 0° quilts get swapped for a 20° set. And with lows above 50° I switch to my 40° set. Where I hike most often even summer lows drop into the 40s, so I end up using my 20° quilt set the most between May and November. It's the most versatile by far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Thanks but already ordered the 0 degree TQ and UQ and will arrive this Wednesday looks like maybe I did a overkill again. Figured getting the lowest one would be the best choice but now not to sure. Maybe the 20 degree would have been better.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My vote is for the 20 degree combo most the time. I have all three: 0, 20, 40. I'm using the 40 now, even if nights are supposed to be 35 degrees - but I use a sock which adds a little warmth. The sock isn't so much because of the weather - I sleep outside and looking up in the hammock, the street lights and sometimes lights in the neighbor's house are in my eyes.

For me - not having the most exact setup - it's good to have a little buffer. I'll use the 20 degree bag when it is 30 degrees and I may use the 0 degree when we approach 20 - it is not exact. Also, "buffering" can be achieved by wearing a warm jacket or hood. I have those in down and they pack up to almost nothing. A silk balaclava is also very light weight and might had just enough extra. Plus, you can pull it up over your nose when only your face is cold.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Hi there,

I'm assuming you bought the 0˚F quilts with the weather in your region in mind? Since you have already bought them, what you could do is eventually get a warm season top quilt.

Many have used a 0˚F UQ in warmer temperatures and simply vent it really well. I can vouch for it working just fine this way - a bit more bulk than what's actually needed in the summer peaks, but hey - so don't worry about that. It's the top quilt that is more challenging, as far as being too warm. It's up to you and your body where that line of comfort is. Who knows? You might be just fine. It really depends on what altitude you're wanting to hang at. Higher up, those summer temps can dip way down.

I also grew up in the Rockies, so I know what it's like to hike up from a valley, where it's 75˚F in June, and find yourself being snowed on, having to put on your winter jacket, after only 2 hours of hiking in the middle of the afternoon. And then the night time temperatures dip from there. I would never experience that here in Quebec. I bought my 0˚F UQ knowing I will eventually head back to the Rockies, and will be getting a 30˚F set (or at least the TQ) to balance it out, being able to use the 30˚F TQ with the 0˚F UQ for the shoulder seasons....

Personally, I think you're going to appreciate that 0˚F set.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast