Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How's this for a starter set up?

My wife bought me a Grand Trunk Nano a couple of years ago, but I never used it.

I've decided to go ahead and try it out on my next camping trip (a very short overnight backpack)

I also have a Kelty Noahs Tarp 9x9 that was in the closet too, so I think I have the tarp issue covered as well.

I went to Dutch's website and ordered a whoppie hook set, bugnet, continuous ridgeline, and a couple of extra carabiners.

I have a pad that I plan on sleeping on if I need it, so I think I have that covered as well.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    String it up in your yard. Make sure you're familiar with the ins and outs of rigging your hammock and tarp. Lay in it, nap in it, sleep in it overnight.

Then you'll know for yourself whether or not your kit is ready for prime time. Good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Like John said test it out at home first. The Nano is a pretty small hammock and not everyone can sleep comfortably in them. Some folks are fine but the far majority like hammocks that are longer and wider for full overnight. Test, test, test and have a backup plan for the first trip or two. One of my first overnights I ended up in the car at 4:30 running the heat to try and warm up. I had gone to skimpy on the under side insulation and was getting hypothermic. I knew the signs and quite being stubborn before it got serious but I sat in the car trying to warm up for a good while. There is a learning curve to hammock.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Your ridge line will need to be an adjustable...if you bought a fixed one it will be too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Edit: sorry, I miss read your OP and commented on a hammock Ridgeline when you purchased a tarp Ridgeline.

On that note, a structural Ridgeline is always a good idea for a hammock. I recommend an adjustable one until you figure out what works for you and your hammock.
    Last edited by jamaulwall; 06-13-2016 at 11:55. Reason: Deleted

Thank you all for the replies.

As I understand it, the Ridgeline is adjustable, one end is a "wasp" clip, so it looks like the line adjusts through there.

Hadn't considered the size of the hammock, but I'm not a particularly big guy (6'0, 185) so I am pretty sure I'll fit.

Hanging it in my yard is going to present difficulties, as I don't really have any trees that are close enough together....I might be able to rig something up with my Jeep roll bars though. We'll see!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    At 6' it will indeed be too short and narrow as well.

I started with a GT, never got out of my backyard with it. I'm 5'6".

Dutch's Tarp CRL will be set up properly, No probs there. The Structural RL or SRL, goes on your hammock to insure a consistent 30 degree hangle. It's pretty important IMO, concerning both how your hammock lays, and safety and protection of supporting trees and anchor points. As stated, get one that is adjustable, so you can fiddle with it, and move it to another hammock, if and when the need arises.

Most well made hammocks come with a SRL from the maker, or at least the offer to add one at little cost. They're that important.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I would agree it will be too short. However I would also argue it will STILL be way better than a tent. Only way to know for sure is a backyard test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Like rolloff said, at 6'0, that hammock will not be comfortable. I started with $25 the walmart travel hammock. It's 9' 6". I am 6'0. It was way too small. I now have a 10'6" hammock that is JUST long enough and will be upgrading to an 11-12' next. I wouldn't want anything shorter than the 10'6" one.

That said, I did survive my 1 night overnighter in the walmart hammock.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    According to GT's site the Nano is 9' x 4'. That doesn't give you a lot of room at 6'. I, too am 6', and find that sometimes even my ENO can feel a little snug at 9'4" long. Luckily I got the Doublenest so it's definitely wide enough to make up for that when I go to lay on the diagonal. I made my own 11' and even though it's much narrower than the DN, I find it to be a little more comfortable. Tall guys just need longer hammocks.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast