DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

2-3 day hike near Minneapolis?

I'll be in Minneapolis for a conference in the middle of September, and would like to add a 2-3 day hike on to the trip while I'm there. Any suggestions? It needs to be reasonably easy to get to from Minneapolis. The more beautiful the better.

Also, anybody wanna go with me?

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    I'll be in Minneapolis for a conference in the middle of September, and would like to add a 2-3 day hike on to the trip while I'm there. Any suggestions? It needs to be reasonably easy to get to from Minneapolis. The more beautiful the better.

Also, anybody wanna go with me?
    Your best bet is the Superior Hiking trail but, if you don't want to drive all the way to the North Shore, the IAT Chippewa Moraine section is really nice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Snugpak Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    I just moved to Roseville, Minnesota and am still trying to find places to backpack and hang. It seems like the only suggestions I get are, "Go North!". I'm beginning to think that a 3-4 hour drive to find freedom is normal around here. I have been looking at the Superior Hiking Trail quite a bit but haven't made the drive yet. I would be very interested in making the trek up North, if you are willing. If I can find something close by before then, I will let you know what I experience.
    ~Ben
    Roseville, Minnesota
    and
    Leaburg, Oregon

Hammock
    Hummingbird Solo
    Tarp
    Clear skies
    Insulation
    DIY "Costco" quilt
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Your best bet is the Superior Hiking trail but, if you don't want to drive all the way to the North Shore, the IAT Chippewa Moraine section is really nice.
    +1 for IAT Chippewa Moraine. About 2 hours from the Twin Cities, free parking at the Ice Age Unit, and no passes needed for dispersed camping in a sizable portion of the area (but there are a few established sites that require a RSVP). One of my favorite spots for day hikes and backpacking both. The closest multi-day hike to the Cities that I know of – but I don't live there, so I could easily be wrong.

Superior Hiking Trail lakeside sections and overlooks are gonna be more beautiful. Chippewa Moraine's tons of little kettle lakes are really nice... but not quite enough to edge out the vistas. Not sure about current regulations there.

Not sure about the SHT, but depending on the dates I might be able to join you for a segment on the Chippewa Moraine.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarian View Post
    +1 for IAT Chippewa Moraine. About 2 hours from the Twin Cities, free parking at the Ice Age Unit, and no passes needed for dispersed camping in a sizable portion of the area (but there are a few established sites that require a RSVP). One of my favorite spots for day hikes and backpacking both. The closest multi-day hike to the Cities that I know of – but I don't live there, so I could easily be wrong.

Superior Hiking Trail lakeside sections and overlooks are gonna be more beautiful. Chippewa Moraine's tons of little kettle lakes are really nice... but not quite enough to edge out the vistas. Not sure about current regulations there.

Not sure about the SHT, but depending on the dates I might be able to join you for a segment on the Chippewa Moraine.
    If you park in the Chippewa Moraine section (in lots near to the Interpretive Center) you need a WI state parks sticker. To avoid buying, a good three day hike would be to start from the East, parking in the Burnt Island lot near Cornell and hiking west. It's trail almost the whole way. You can spend the first night at Picnic Lake, the second at the Hardwood Lakes and the third day out. You would just need to arrange for a ride back to your car. Also, there is a great app for the IAT called Mammoth Tracks. The tracks are surprisingly accurate and they list all the campsites and points of interest along the trail.You can download for free, and they give you the southern section. The whole trail costs $29.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• + New Posts