Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images

Old tent Fly= new hammock tarp?

I have a 3 room tent I still use occasionally so I don't want to modify this tarp in any way. I like a lot of privacy and this will nearly fully cocoon the hammock.

I should measure it's length and width. Just big. In these pictures I have it rigged with single line to the tree with no V. End rigged. I bought 2.2mm zing it for a CRL so I can incorporate the V at the ends.

You can see in the pictures that the foot end needed to be much lower. This is the first and temporary hang but I think it's going to work very well. Any thoughts or opinions? Canoe camping planned in the near future.

There are 18 total attachment points around this. I can fold in the outside flaps and run it porch mode on either side. I think it will sprawl out enough to keep splash back/up from being a problem. It weight 2 lbs!!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I tried to repurpose two perfectly waterproof tent flies as hammock tarps and neither one of them worked. When used as a tent fly, the fabric is stretched over the poles. However, when used as a tarp, those same places where the pole stretched the tarp became depressions where water gathered and quickly worked through, leaving me soaked. I suspect the same thing will happen to your tent fly, as it's not very taut.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    My first year in a hammock was using the rainfly from a eureka timberline tent. Worked quite well; plenty of coverage, even had "beaks". The only real downside was the weight. Some rainflys will work better than others. I think if it came from an a-frame tent, it would work better than from a dome.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Some rainflys will work better than others. I think if it came from an a-frame tent, it would work better than from a dome.
    Mine was a dome that just didn't work.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Mine was a dome that just didn't work.

How many tie outs did it have?

In these pictures I was just trying to get a feel for the size and fitment. I was put off by the gap at the foot end. I now know how to hang it properly. I'll get better pics soon.

Heavy and bulky yes. my canoe has a 700 lbs load limit...20150622_121452.jpg

I'm real cheap. I have sewn two walmart 5x7 sil tarps together for a 7x10. 7' is too short for my hammock though.

I found parachute material in olive drab for #2.99 a yard at 36" wide. I wonder how well it can be stitched together and waterproofed?

I know pretty soon I will have spent enough to have just bought a good tarp right? I like D.I.Y. tho.
    Last edited by XJ35S; 06-13-2016 at 17:02.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    How many tie outs did it have?

In these pictures I was just trying to get a feel for the size and fitment. I was put off by the gap at the foot end. I now know how to hang it properly. I'll get better pics soon.

Heavy and bulky yes. my canoe has a 700 lbs load limit...20150622_121452.jpg

I'm real cheap. I have sewn two walmart 5x7 sil tarps together for a 7x10. 7' is too short for my hammock though.

I found parachute material in olive drab for #2.99 a yard at 36" wide. I wonder how well it can be stitched together and waterproofed?

I know pretty soon I will have spent enough to have just bought a good tarp right? I like D.I.Y. tho.
    Ripstopbytheroll.com. go there. Tarp material isn't super cheap, but if you're set on diy, you can make a great tarp for about half of what it would cost to buy. They even have kits with everything you need and a little more for a solid tarp. The material is already waterproofed and you have lots of options on material, weight, etc.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Thank you. I'll check it out.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Two hours messing with this and zing it. I give up.

I can pull all the tie outs tight and still have sag in the middles. Just like SilvrSurfr said.

Now if I sew my own, how do I avoid this slack ?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

I can pull all the tie outs tight and still have sag in the middles. Just like SilvrSurfr said.

I don't think it will be an issue because it will be a new tarp. I made a DIY silnylon tarp that works just fine (though I made the Fronkey hex - wish I had made a winter tarp with doors).

Images

You would have the tie-outs right where you need them to get a tight pitch. I just finished a winter tarp kit from MYG and it turned out great. I pitched it a few days ago for the first time and was pleased. It almost looks like I knew what I was doing. lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast