Dutch wide 11'
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Silly nube mistake for indoor setup from Dutch

Hello gang, I've been lurking for a long time, trying to soak up everything but in a moment you will see that I'm just not paying enough attention...

I'm looking to hang full time in an effort to cure debilitating back pain and loss of circulation in my arms, both of which occur when I sleep in a bed. I've been in my initial hammock, the HH jungle explorer, but it's not quite right for me. After reading what feels like thousands of posts, I decided that an 11' Hexon from Dutch was the way to go. Because I'm not planning to carry the thing around, I'm not worried about weight. When I was going through the ordering process I looked at my options for suspension but didn't want anything fancy, so when I read that if no suspension was selected, a cable tie loop would be run through the gathered end and that would be it, I was pretty excited.

Here's where the nube silliness happened. I thought to myself, "cable tie loop"; well that sounds like a piece of cable (you know, like comes on a winch that you find on a Jeep) and I can pretty much just clip a biner to that and use my ENO atlas straps to get the hang right. Only there was no Jeep winch cable loop... There was only a cable tie; a little plastic zip tie. When I saw that, I realized that in a world where people measure their gear to the nearest hundredth of a nanogram, a 1/2" steel cable really was a silly expectation and I see where I went wrong.

Now the problem: I have a wonderful new 11' Dutch Hexon (thanks Dutch!) that I simply NEED to hang on tonight and I have precisely zero idea about how to make that happen. What's the best way to add a suspension to this hammock? I have spools of paracord, probably a couple thousand feet in all but I don't want to use that if it's patently ridiculous. I can go to a sporting goods store, REI isn't too far, if I need something larger. I'd like to avoid compounding a silly mistake and making it costly and painful by overloading a suspension.

What I'm looking for is a series of ideas about how to add a suspension to Dutch's hammock so that I can use it tonight. What is the right way, or an acceptable way, or a proper way to add a suspension to this setup? Is it as simple as making a triple strand paracord loop and tying a larks head below the gathered end and carrying on as though it were the steel cable that I thought I was getting? Biner to ENO atlas?

Feel free to laugh a little at my expense, I certainly am. And no one here is going to laugh as hard as my wife, so have at it. Then dispense the wisdom of the group to save me from myself. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Tie a loop in the cord big enough to go through the channel. Larks head your biner on it. I wouldn't use it long term, but it should get you a few nights in. From there, you can either order amsteel and splice some continuous loops, or pm your address and I'll mail you a pair tomorrow.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That's pretty funny, expecting that a "wire tie" was a 1/2 inch steel cable (which would weigh more than the hammock, easily). Paracord will work, but ditch it ASAP and get some Amsteel continuous loops to go through the channel.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    If it's 550 cord, it will stretch some, and might not gold your weight. Even a light person who tosses a few times in their sleep can exert more than 550 lbs of force. I'd double up, or even triple up the cord.

If you have access to getting some amsteel cord, making your own continuous loops is super easy. You can also get some climbing rope since you're not carrying it anywhere.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Dutch wide 11'
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bringerofgame View Post
    Tie a loop in the cord big enough to go through the channel. Larks head your biner on it. I wouldn't use it long term, but it should get you a few nights in. From there, you can either order amsteel and splice some continuous loops, or pm your address and I'll mail you a pair tomorrow.
    PM sent, I'm afraid to hang on anything that I try to weave, sew, or splice. I'm happy to pay someone who knows what they are doing to get it done right. Thanks for the quick response.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Just a suggestion but I personally would double or triple up the para cord. With many brands and types of "para cord" it's tough to know just how strong it really is. Sounds like you have plenty so this should not be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You should be able to get that biner through the end channel. From there I would go with tripled up 550 paracord until I could get something better. Realize it will stretch a little so tie is a little high.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch wide 11'
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    If it's 550 cord, it will stretch some, and might not gold your weight. Even a light person who tosses a few times in their sleep can exert more than 550 lbs of force. I'd double up, or even triple up the cord.
    I was thinking that a triple loop would be the starting point, just to be safe. Just a temporary measure until the continuous loops can be put in place. I pretty excited for the possibility of a full night in this Hexon!

Hammock
    Dutch wide 11'
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You should be able to get that biner through the end channel. From there I would go with tripled up 550 paracord until I could get something better. Realize it will stretch a little so tie is a little high.
    I didn't even think of replacing the zip tie with a biner. I'll try that. I love the wealth of knowledge here!

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    I have no idea what sort of suspension the HH jungle explorer uses, but you may be able to transfer its suspension to the Dutch. Or fasten the bulk of its suspension to the biners you're running through the end channel.

Long term, you'll want to order continuous loops. Dutch sells them, and I'm sure other vendors do as well. You can probably continue to reuse the bulk of the HH's suspension, whatever that is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast