Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...highlight=utah

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...highlight=utah

Here are a few examples from just one member hanging in those environments. To be serious about hanging a hammock in the west you will have to be creative, cary a few extra suspension bits at times and be willing to make it work, even if that means long spans, ratty trees, shade shelters, and using whats on hand to MacGyver things. It's not always pretty but you can hang just about anywhere if you try. You are only limited by your own creativity.

Me and 3 others all hung in the Grand Canyon a few years back...hammocks are not allowed normally and you are not allowed to tie anything...even a clothes line to the trees and brush.

Here is a Shot Warbonnet has of one of their hammocks....well up above tree line.

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    I'm with pgibson on this. You may have to get pretty creative. There are pics of me hanging in my horse trailer floating around on her as we weren't allowed to hang on the trees in the park.

I will add too though that, from what I have seen, being outdoorsy requires a bit of open minded versatility. I'm sure I'm about to catch tomatoes from the underquilt lovers but, this is why I still use a ground pad. If you are comfortable tarp camping, get a tarp that will make going to ground an option. I live in the deep south where we almost always have trees available but, it's tornado country so sometimes in a freak storm, the trees just aren't safe.

I'm all for hanging! I can count on one hand the nights I've gone to ground in 5 years, but I do keep the ground an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    pad/ REI igneo
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    These posts make me hopeful for the future. I'm not afraid of going to ground but I would like to stay away from it as much as possible. Looks like I'll have to make Google earth my best friend when booking my next trips with the hammock.

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    Check out the no ground poles in the review section. Opens up all kinds of options especially if you use some climbing nuts in rock walls you don't need trees at all. I live near Zion and have had to get really creative because I hate sleeping on the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a Handy Hammock Stand that I take for bicycle touring:

It's not cheap, but it's the only stand I know of that you could take hiking. Unfortunately they didn't design the stand to also accommodate a tarp.

However, since my backpack is already on the heavy side, I would probably take a tent and leave the hammock at home if I were to hike in the desert.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    I don't want to rely on car camping and a stand to enjoy my hammock.
    In remote areas in the West, where two barbed wire (pronounced BobWarr) fences meet at at corner, both of the posts next to the corner post, are reinforced. Hang diagonal across those two posts, making a triangle at the corner. Might be a good idea to set up after dark and take down at first light.

If backpacking in a grazing area, if you go through a gate that is just wire and posts, not a gate with hinges, if there are no fresh cow pies on either side of the gate, consider just leaving the gate down and hanging across the gap. Again, set up late, tear down early.

While hanging at one ranch in Arizona, the ranchers's dog woke me up by licking my face at 3:00 a.m.
    Last edited by heyyou; 06-18-2016 at 18:51.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12