Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles

hardware alternative to tato tarp connector?

Currently I'm using a 2mm dyneema core polyester CRL with 2 carabiners TUH way.
    Slight modification I've made is replace the adjustment prussik with a LineLok running back on the main line.

Happy with it once it's set up and quite easy to get in place. However I find taking down a hassle because the second I unclip the tarp, the entire thing sags because the tarp keeps the tension on the CRL.

So I'm looking for a way to put up the CRL without the tarp, and attach the tarp afterwards. I tried doing this with prussik's, but quickly found I hate prussik knots. They don't hold well enough to my liking and I find them finicky to move.
    One alternative is clearly the TATO tarp connectors, but A) I don't care for the shock cord and B) shipping them to the EU from the US would cost more than Tato's themselves... (27$ incl shipping, which is >€22 so add €15 customs fees and 21%, totaling over 50$)

Thus my question: is there an alternative piece of hardware available or do I hav to fabricate something myself?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    you could try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017N6NZ9G

it didn't work for me when i used it with 1.75mm zing-it as the rope was to thin and slick, and they constantly lost tension. product description says it's good for cords from 1.5mm to 4mm.

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    you could try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017N6NZ9G

it didn't work for me when i used it with 1.75mm zing-it as the rope was to thin and slick, and they constantly lost tension. product description says it's good for cords from 1.5mm to 4mm.
    I came across those when looking for mini lineloks (that I now use for my guylines & 1 on my CRL) but completely forgot about them, thanks!

Thanks to the "similar threads" function I saw the post from a few months back where you tried them. Will definitely give it a go, as my CRL is polyester braid which should work quite well...

Edit: googling where to get them I've come across a multitude of alternative of line tensioners that might work for this purpose. I'm going to try some different ones and will report back :-)
    Last edited by massis; 06-15-2016 at 08:47.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Good timing. I'm going through this myself right now. I also hate prusik's. I didn't fare any better with the klemheist. I think friction knots work well using small cord (prusik) on larger cord (CRL). After much head scratching and foibles, I've decided to try using a pair of wasps in place of soft shackle prusik's.

The wasps will lock onto the zing-it crl very well, however it will require some slack in the line in order to move it. I figure on crudely centering the wasps on the slack crl, each wasp a few inches from the tarp d-ring. Once located where desired, tighten up the crl. Lark's head a 12" or so piece of cord to the d-ring and then hook to the wasp in the usual manner.

I'll be testing this out at the batona hang this weekend, but hopefully I get to at least set it up in the back yard first.

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    I considered wasps too but couldn't figure out how to attach my tarp to them safely when they're on the line.

Edit: that was most likely because I was trying to see if I could use wasps both to set up the line and to hook the tarp to it, but that obviously won't work. Wasps with their heads pointed at eachother should be perfectly suited too...

One major downside I'm expecting is tensioning your tarp as you're either working on a slack CRL or can no longer move the wasps... So you basicly end up eliminating the advantages of a CRL and having 2 separate ridgeline's which just happen to be connected, and might as well go back to end lines instead of CRL?
    Last edited by massis; 06-15-2016 at 09:00.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Two wasps will face the tarp at each end (I'll refer to these as "tarp wasps"). A third wasp will face one tree ("tree wasp"). You roughly adjust the tarp wasps while the crl is a little slack, making certain they are set wider than the tarp d-rings. Once the crl is tightened with the tree wasp, you then tighten the tarp using a fairly short piece of cord from each d-ring to the nearest inner facing tarp wasp. Done correctly, you won't have to readjust the tarp wasps, fine tune with the short cords. Easy.

<edit>Just make certain to lock the wasps into position with the half hitch (or whatever it's called) around the tail. The tarp wasps should be set a few inches wider at each end than the tarp in order to allow for centering without having to move the wasps again.</edit>
    Last edited by sqidmark; 06-15-2016 at 10:30.

Hammock
    WB BB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ / Down SB
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    That'll probably work, but if you have to lock the wasps and then tighten the tarp using the short pieces of cord on each end, you'd be off easier (in my little-experienced opinion) if you just stopped using a CRL and went to 2 separate lines. You can string those up "about right" as well and then adjust by loosening one end and tightening the other...

I want something that can slide without undoing, simply by putting some force on it in the opposite direction.
    Since I'm using non slippery line, I've ordered 5 of those ring-style tensioners. Going to splice a continuous loop of reflective cord through the extra hole which I just won from Dutch, and then I can attach my tarp to them easily using the micro biners I already own.
    Relocating should be possible by simply sliding one end to loosen and then sliding the other to tighten again, as I expect the CRL to have just enough "give" to allow that.

For $1.6 (for 5 rings) it's worth a shot at least!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I know what ya mean. I also have a CF tarp that uses separate cords with stingerz at each end. The only reason I'm using a CRL on my winter tarp is because I'm also using pole mods and the CRL keeps the poles from contacting the peak. I don't know if it really makes any difference, but it sounds good in theory. However, SilPoly tarp fabric is pretty slick stuff so I don't imagine there is a great deal of friction between it and a bar. I'm on the fence.

I actually had the chance to briefly try out my setup last night. It was a bit of a pain to go through (for the first time), but it held like a pit bull on raw meat. I had to use a flyz in place of one wasp though. The flyz are/is not so easy to adjust in this scenario. I also think it would be easiest to lay the whole thing on the ground between trees to set the crude adjustments before raising it.

I've seen those rings brought up numerous times and considered getting a set. I recall that some folks didn't seem to find that they held any better than prusik's. But yeah, if you've got non slippery line that may be the ticket. Let us know how you make out with it. I've got some 1.8mm poly blind cord that has a lot of traction, but I have no idea if it's breaking strength is up to the this task. I'll see if I can find out what it's rated at.

Those rings are knock-offs of a MSR product. I happen to use the genuine article on ZingIt with no problems retaining tension. Can't speak about the knock-offs but they shouldn't really be any different.

I was initially worried about slipping on the small, slick cordage but it hasn't been an issue. The biggest thing is to use them correctly. I've seen several pictures with them used the wrong way.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Sounds good to me. I may as well try 'em since I feel like I've tried everything else remotely interesting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast