Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    thanx mrprez

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Thanks Pan for reminding me. The MW3 is certainly an excellent option and performed very well for a hiking companion of mine a couple weeks back at temps down to 14.6 degrees. And I will personally vouch for the excellent customer service that the Jacks have always provided me.
    And if you are looking for a short UQ, don't forget the MW3 convertible ( actually, both long and short if you get the full system). I don't know if the sale is over yet, but the MW3 top half was on sale yesterday. ( EDIT: I think the sale is over)

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Sonic,

I'm looking at a PCT thru hike next year as well. For my hammock set up, I'm using a Speer hammock with a Speer Snugfit and a JRB Sierra Sniveller for a top quilt.

That said, more and more, I'm leaning in the direction of not using a hammock most of the time. It sucks, because I'd really prefer the hammock, but there are so many situations where I know that I'm just going to have to sleep on the ground anyhow, the hammock becomes unacceptable extra weight. I sound like some kind of superUL gram weenie, but really, I'm not. The weight difference is nearly 4 pounds, not including the tarp.

PM me if you're interested anymore of my reasoning in this area. I feel like I'm committing some kind of blasphemy talking like this on hammockforums.net.

You might not care a bit for those type of considerations. If that's the case, the Mt. Washington is the underquilt that I'd get to go with a Hennessy. I don't have one myself, but if they're built as well as my JRB top quilt, you'll love it.

Hammock
    wwbb 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    wb adj.webbing
    Hey guys, i just bought a HH and want to make an under quilt. I am thinking of buying a $40.00 down comforter from overstock.com . Then cutting it up and just sewing a nylon cover over the original cotton cover. The down is 700 fill. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geomaniac View Post
    Hey guys, i just bought a HH and want to make an under quilt. I am thinking of buying a $40.00 down comforter from overstock.com . Then cutting it up and just sewing a nylon cover over the original cotton cover. The down is 700 fill. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    The cotton will suck up moisture like a sponge, even if covered in nylon.
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It will also be heavy.

If it were me, I'd harvest the down from the bag and use it to fill a nylon shell. But, for $40, I'd be very suspicious of the 700 fp claim they make. I know 700 fp down is cheap compared to the 800+ stuff, but $40 seems too cheap for a finished product IMO. Betcha there are lots of feathers and quills.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have two HH's, 1 Scout, 1 ExpAsym
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Trees! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by geomaniac View Post
    Keep in mind that the "down" quilts for sale are NOT pure down. They're a mix of down and feathers.

The fill rating is the rating on the DOWN, and then feathers are added to builk up the product. I've been researching down (just learning... there are others wiser than I, here!) and started out with PRECISELY the same plan you're trying now.

Most manufacturers don't even list that their "down" bedding is actually a mix! kinda sneaky, those little buggers.
    EDIT------------
    hee hee! Cannibal is one of the "wiser than I" persons mentioned above, who also beat me to it!

Try www.speerhammocks.com for down, or do a google search for "bulk down fill". Speer's prices are pretty much in line for TRUE 100% down.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Tedinski; 12-28-2009 at 13:23. Reason: additional comment.

Hammock
    wwbb 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    wb adj.webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It will also be heavy.

If it were me, I'd harvest the down from the bag and use it to fill a nylon shell. But, for $40, I'd be very suspicious of the 700 fp claim they make. I know 700 fp down is cheap compared to the 800+ stuff, but $40 seems too cheap for a finished product IMO. Betcha there are lots of feathers and quills.
    I will have to keep that in mind, I should have known it was too good to be true.Thanks for the info. I think I am just going to retro fit an old sleeping bag. I wont be doing that much winter camping anyway.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    thats what Im using now, and its not too bad. it helps to put a space blanket in the mix. at the moment in a really cold situation. my current set up is..

HH with a grand trunk ultralight suspended like a quilt as a second layer. I sewed button holes where the HH tie outs are. I put an emergency blanket in between the two hammock layers, it also has button holes for the tie outs. then, the last layer is a sleeping bag unzipped that I modified with strap loops. it still functions like a sleeping bag. or I can hook the cords on the supplied HH prussik hook things. I can wrap it around like a peapod, and I use cheap caribiners to button myself in. and I have a fleece blanket that works for a TQ. Im using 550 chord for suspending the sleeping bag. oh yeah, and I sewed button holes where the tie outs are.. the elastic lines run through every layer.. it holds it all together well.. come to think of it, I think I need a yeti. I would probably be just as warm with that one layer, might be about 4 lbs lighter..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Actually yall,
    I think Ive made my decision.. I want them for my collections anyways, if im gonna get them one day, might as well get them before I attempt the PCT hike

IM gonna get a WBBB. 17 oz, and 3 seas. yetti 12.5 oz, and a ccf pad incase of sleeping on the ground. which I know I will need..
    thinking about making a top quilt via te-wa instructions..

its nice not having a wife to worry about!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12