Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Things Made with Insultex

Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather
    maybe it's time to start an Insultex Application thread to funnel the vest, quilts etc into one place?
    Ok, RF, here we can talk about vests, quilts, inserts and the like, so folks can share what they learn with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    How compressible is I-tex?
    It is not compressible at all. One yard folds and rolls to fit in about one liter.
    Would it perform well between the layers of hammocks like the Traveller? Or is that better left to ccf?
    It would do very well in a double layer hammock! You might have to work harder to get it spread out and held in place, but it would perform well there.

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 12-14-2009 at 06:36.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Compressibility

It is not compressible at all. One yard folds and rolls to fit in about one liter.- MacEntyre
    Very true. I was glad I made the first of two TC/TQs instead of one huge one. The Primaloft is better but still bulky.

I folded the quilt up nicely and placed it between two sheets of plywood and then placed my car over the plywood - we'll see
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It would do very well in a double layer hammock! You might have to work harder to get it spread out and held in place, but it would perform well there.

- MacEntyre

I knew I should have bought some.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Condensation

- MacEntyre

I knew I should have bought some.
    What about the condensation factor?
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    What about the condensation factor?
    Have to try it to answer that. It certainly couldn't be any worse than with ccf.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I suspect that keeping it from being compressed (or tight against you) could keep it from having condensation.

Just a thought...

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 12-14-2009 at 08:23.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    primaloft or insultex? I think the question was how breathable is the Insultex..but I could be confused..KM

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    primaloft or insultex? I think the question was how breathable is the Insultex..but I could be confused..KM
    I-tex.

At least, that's what I thought we were talking about, until you came along and cornfused me.
    Dave

I had an opportunity to try out my little Insultex (IX) quilt that I made (described in another thread) in conjunction with my Te-Wa 3 seasons quilt. The goal was to see if using the IX quilt in conjunction with the Te-Wa to get into lower temps.

I went out with AngrySparrow and Hetairoi this past weekend on a short trip on the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. The lows on Friday night were supposed to be in the mid 20s with lots of rain following. So, I setup my BB Traveler hammock, Speer Winter Tarp and the Te-Wa quilt. I attached the IX quilt on top of the Te-Wa. I slept pretty comfortably with that setup although I had an issue with the Te-Wa wanting to constantly slip off my left shoulder and go under the hammock. I had no cold spots all night but noticed that I didn't really have the warm sensation of a down quilt under me. The next night I removed the IX quilt and put it in the hammock under my legs and slept just on the Te-Wa. Almost immediately, I felt the warmth of the down quilt and slept very well the second night I had tightened up the suspension and didn't have any issues with the Te-Wa that night). There wasn't ever any condensation on the IX quilt. I am puzzled why I didn't feel that radiant heat that I get when I use the IX quilt any other time.

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    I think the question was how breathable is the Insultex..but I could be confused..KM
    I don't think the insultex foam is breathable on its own, but it is regularly perforated by the backing fabric(scrim?) which is through-sewn to the foam. I tried the porosity test in an earlier insultex thread by taping scraps of insultex over bowls and placing water on the unquilted sections for several hours. No water leaked through, and it did not appear that either the insultex foam or the fabric backing absorbed any water. After dumping the water off the insultex it dried extremely quickly. Its worth noting that this was done in a house around 65 degrees, it may perform differently in colder weather when there is a significant difference in temperatures from one side of the fabric to the other as when worn as clothing.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast