DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies

VIDEO: Flat Tops Trip - June, 2016

Howdy, gang! My cousin Andrew and I have been camping together for over 20 years and took another exciting adventure earlier this month to the Flat Tops Wilderness near Steamboat Springs/Yampa, CO. Part of the adventure was just getting there. Andrew lives near Steamboat (in Stagecoach) and was going to pick me up at the airport in Denver. Long story short (and an adventure unto itself!) I arrived at his condo 16 hours late. However, kudos to Southwest Airlines for handling a very tough night with class and great customer service. In fact, as we pulled into the gate at DIA, the captain said, "Well, ladies and gentlemen...tonight was epic!" Just the words you want to hear from the flight deck!

We hit the trail early the next morning and headed south toward Bailey Lakes from Stillwater Reservoir (accessible via Yampa, CO). We camped on a pretty heavily used spot, complete with remnants from at least one horse camp...beer cans, a coffee can, a Spyderco knife, two fire grates, three fire areas, a bunch of firewood, some paracord, a mason's jar, and enough manure to power a small town. However, it was beautiful, and not hard to see why it is a popular site.

My cousin is a licensed pilot and had been flying over the area to check on snow and lake conditions. However, he had to keep a 2000' ceiling over the wilderness area. As such, there was just a touch more snow surrounding the streams and lakes we intended to fish than was clearly visible from the air. So, we packed out a night early to fish Sarvis Creek, which flows out from the dam at Stagecoach Reservoir. (Anecdotal Fact: Stagecoach is the namesake of one of Colorado's largest lost ski resorts that operated from 1972-1974. Developers hoped it would become the gem of the CO ski areas but things went downhill...more figuratively than literally! In fact, Andrew lives in one of the original condos built just off the still-visible runs.)

Andrew was using a classic and famed Jansport external frame he found in a guy's trash pile at the curb. I refurbished it for him and turned it back into a classy ride. Andrew is an accomplished climber (owns his own tower company, actually) and has bagged dozens of peaks, including many of CO's 14ers. That is to say, he knows his gear and he LOVED the way this pack carried. (His gear room is a thing of beauty most stores would like to emulate!) He wanted to give it some trail time, as he intends to use it on his hunts this fall.

I was using a plethora of DIY gear, including my snowshoes, pack, tarp, hammock, TQ/UQ/UQP, Tenkara rod, landing net, stove, parcho, etc. I was super happy with how things performed this time around. The only thing I destroyed were my trusty old sunglasses, but nothing a little super glue couldn't fix!

It's been in the mid to upper 90's everyday since I returned, so it's been nice sitting inside and editing the trip video. Enjoy!

Last edited by 4estTrekker; 06-16-2016 at 14:04.

Hammock
    WBBB and Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    20*Phoeni 0*CaveCr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great Video. Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing,

Hammock
    WBBB, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator, TeWa
    Suspension
    Constant change
    Really cool video, man! Never hiked out west but looks worth the trip. What sort of camera did you shoot your video with?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyBruin View Post
    Really cool video, man! Never hiked out west but looks worth the trip. What sort of camera did you shoot your video with?
    Thanks! I just used an iPhone 5C for everything.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep, the trail from Bailey up to Edge Lake then over the pass is much better. You have to go higher, but actually much easier. Did you fish Hooper or Keener?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ringtail-THFKAfood View Post
    Yep, the trail from Bailey up to Edge Lake then over the pass is much better. You have to go higher, but actually much easier. Did you fish Hooper or Keener?
    Yeah, we liked that route much better! What's under that north slope leading up to the pass?

Hooper and Keener were both frozen still. Bailey Lakes were the only lakes in that upper bowl that were open when my cousin did his fly over. We would have had to hike down and around Island Lakes Trail to get to more consistently open water. Pretty country, though!

Images
    I just love fishing high mtn lakes. Excellent video guys thank you.
    The sky is never bluer than at 9-10,000 feet.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by 4estTrekker View Post
    Thanks! I just used an iPhone 5C for everything.
    I would never have guessed you were using an iPhone. Excellent video and what a great place to hike and camp!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Great video. I did a trip in that area a few years ago from Trapper Lake to Coffee pot Springs Rd. That is some seriously beautiful country out there. Your video really makes me wanna go back.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    What a great place to have a cup of coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast