Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Per tent I do believe but a hammock counts as 1 tent so usually it is per person for us
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Thanks. Still collecting gears for camping.
    Any other good spots in Illinois?
    I'm in Bolingbrook for reference

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    It's my understanding it's $6 per tent/hammock.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    Thanks. Still collecting gears for camping.
    What gear do you need?
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    Any other good spots in Illinois?
    I'm in Bolingbrook for reference
    Shawnee national forest is beautiful but quite a drive. We usually stick to hiking the 3.2 miles from Channahon state park to hang along the I&M
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    What gear do you need?
    Do not have:
    Headlamp or Solar lamp
    Stove of any kind and cooking gears
    Sleeping bag of any season
    Quilts
    Axe and fixed knives
    Foam sleeping pad's
    Water filter and water jug
    Class on any camping

Do have
    Inflatable mattress
    Camping linen and pillow
    Water bottles
    Pack
    550 cords and misc cords
    1P tent 4 season
    Waterbag
    Fishing pole and kits
    Camp seats
    HD tarps ( brown )
    Folding knice
    IFAK
    Wool socks
    Boots
    Winter clothes
    Micro towel
    5-days marine cooler
    Last edited by Ledanek; 08-22-2016 at 12:00.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    You aren't as bad off as you think. Here are some of my thoughts for you:

1. A flashlight will work just fine until you want to invest in a headlamp or solar light. My dad gave me a Energizer head lamp from Wal-mart for Christmas & it works great for me. I keep one of those $1 flashlights with me on every trip and love how bright it is. Maybe someday I'll buy a $40 headlamp, but it's not worth it to me yet.

2. When we do a car group hang, we are cooking over a fire and usually share meals in a potluck fashion. Any pots or pans you could borrow. If you are looking to camp on your own, I've used my old girl scout cook set. I've found them at garage sales and thrift shops for $5. I just used that set again this weekend!
    s-l225.jpg

3. Sleeping bag - When I started camping, I ditched my old 1980's sleeping bag and took sometime to think about a down vs. synthetic bag, rectangular vs. mummy, and temperature degree rating. I ended up choosing a Big Agnes 19 degree mummy bag which I got on e-bay for $119 (about half off). I use this bag for tent camping and in my hammock. You can also find really good deals at the REI garage sales. (Next one will probably be in September). I also purchased a summer sleeping bag off Amazon. I wanted something inexpensive & functional. I'm very happy with my Naturehike bag. I used it this last weekend too!
    https://www.amazon.com/Naturehike-En...ds=nature+hike

4. Quilts. I use my sleeping bag as a top quilt. I use my inflatable sleeping pad as insulation underneath me + a piece of reflectix (if needed). I JUST invested in one of those down throws (now for sale at Costco for $20) and I'm converting it to an underquilt.

5. I don't own an axe or a fixed knife. I have a saw that folds up & small kitchen knives (for now).

6. I now own a foam sleeping pad, but rarely use it. I bought it for winter camping and that's the only time I've use it.

7. I've owned a water filter for a year and I've never used it. The water jugs I use are the $1 water gallon jugs I purchase at the dollar store & then re-use the plastic container.

8. I've attended some meetup group events through Wilderness Adventure Group, but I get such great information from searching the forum here and watching youtube videos.

I've found great deals on ebay, craigslist, facebook thrift groups and the REI garage sales. I also have a place in Milwaukee called the Urban Ecology Center where I can rent gear. Maybe you have a place like that near you.
    Last edited by Karla "with a k"; 08-22-2016 at 18:45.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    ^^^^ +1 on what Karla said. A lot of your list of "do not have" is wants more than needs. We browse the forum and vendor websites and see all the cool stuff we HAVE to have. Truth be told, there isn't much of it we truly need. A hammock, a tarp, and some sort of insulation....that's it!!

I camped for years before I got a headlamp, and only used it for camping because I had to buy it for work.

I have hatchets, a crappy axe, and (good thing my wife is NOT on the forum) way too many knives. RARELY do I even use a knife when I'm out, and it's usually a folder or a cheap Mora I wear around my neck that gets used, mainly for opening food packets. A multi tool would serve you just as well, and I didn't see that on your list??

Head on over to your nearest walmart and find an IMUSA mug, 10 or 12cm. If your wally world doesn't have them, PM me and we'll work something out.

While you're there get a headlamp if you'd like, they can be found cheap enough. Or a flashlight will work just as well.

Grab a yellow bottle of HEET, then find your way over to the cat food aisle and pick up a can, any brand or flavor . Or find a can of potted meat. A hole punch and either empty can and you now have your stove!

If you can find a couple fleece blankets while you're there, insulation for the rest of the summer is taken care of. Get 3, to double up underneath you, and early fall is good as well. If you can find the thick blue CCF pad, get it! That'll get you down to fairly cool temps

As far as camping class goes, I think a group hang would be MUCH more beneficial. Come on out, there's plenty of information shared at the hangs I've been to, and free advice too..... you most definitely get what you pay for

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Great tips

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings