Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images

tarping a side by side hang

I am in the market to get a tarp for my girlfriend and I. We each have a hammock separated with a spreader bar. I'm thinking of making one and found the winter tarp kit on makeyourgear.com, which the price is hard to beat even if you ordered everything separate. Just curious but do you guys and gals think that that would be enough coverage for both of us if i went with the 12 ft ridgeline. We both have an 11 ft hammock. Thanks in advance.
    If you don't know where you're going, any trail will take you there...

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I have a 12 x 14 winter tarp for dual hanging with a spreader bar and it's a castle. We only use 10 foot hammocks but there was plenty of room for 11 foot hammocks.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin WL SS
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders/many
    My girlfriend and I use a Hennessy hex that is 12x10 with 11ft hammocks using a spreader bar and it works great.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Well, thanks for the quick reply's and it looks like I'm going to be spending more money on hammocking stuff. I really want to get something large enough that way I/we dont have to worry about getting wet. And as these are going to be her fist times hammock camping I want to make sure its enjoyable. I figured I can put it in porch mode and have plenty of room to move about and then lower it if the weather gets bad.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Two hammocks under one tarp is never going to have the coverage of one hammock under one tarp (even if it's a 4-season winter tarp). With the spreader bars and side-by-side lay, the tarp will have to be mounted differently (i.e., higher) than if it were just for one person, and the doors aren't likely to fully close.

If you're concerned about coverage from blowing precipitation, then you should each get a winter tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I should be able to close it fairly well on the foot end? maybe? I was really trying to get something so that we could have fair coverage while hanging side by side if the weather did turn. I dont plan on doing any hikes with her while its down pouring but I would like to get a tarp that would suffice if it did.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbates92 View Post
    I should be able to close it fairly well on the foot end? maybe? I was really trying to get something so that we could have fair coverage while hanging side by side if the weather did turn. I dont plan on doing any hikes with her while its down pouring but I would like to get a tarp that would suffice if it did.
    I can get my foot end pretty well closed off, the problem is the end with the spreader bar, as Silvr says its not going to come even close to closed. Having the doors there helps with deflecting wind driven rain but the end is more exposed than you really like if you want a completely enclosed shelter. I try to compensate but pitching the hammocks closer to the non spreader bar end. The other option I've thought about is doing a sort of "smokehouse" style mod and having an extra triangle of sil I can throw up in that gap created by the spreader bar/suspension. It's a modified SLD Winter Haven which I opted to have the velcro on the doors so it would make this sort of mod easier to attach. Just as it is though I have pretty adequate protection in all but the most epic storms.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield5.4
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I think that if the foot end can become pretty closed off then i can just set up the hammocks depending on the direction of the wind. Based on what you all have told me I feel like this will work and $70 for a winter tarp isnt bad and if it doesn't work then ill have a nice single person tarp. It will also give me a chance to teach the girlfriend her way around a sewing machine

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    You may also want to consider getting a separate CRL. You can set up the primary tarp RL on one side of the tree and the secondary RL a little lower and on the other side of the tree. This will help to widen the tarp at the top and allow the tarp sides to come down closer to your hammocks. This is a little better during a storm. And make sure the tarp has side pull outs or a pole mod.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbates92 View Post
    I am in the market to get a tarp for my girlfriend and I. We each have a hammock separated with a spreader bar. I'm thinking of making one and found the winter tarp kit on makeyourgear.com, which the price is hard to beat even if you ordered everything separate. Just curious but do you guys and gals think that that would be enough coverage for both of us if i went with the 12 ft ridgeline. We both have an 11 ft hammock. Thanks in advance.
    Something as simple as a 12x12 kelty noahs tarp(~$70) would be a good way to test out your two person under one tarp. A 12x12 provides a lot of side coverage. You could drop the sides down to the ground for some privacy if needed. Two gathered end hammocks seperated by a spreader bar isn't much wider than a bridge hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast