Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Chillax Double, Homemade Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY 2mil Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt

Speed of setup vs. Quality time?

I'd first like to begin by saying that after months of reading everyone's posts, advice, and comments that it's awesome to finally be a part of this community of great people. I would like to get a discussion going about some things I see on the web. There are a ton of videos about how to set up your gear lightning fast, and I can understand that it is needed for various reasons.
    I was obsessed with how to be more efficient, always changing to the fastest way I could find to set up. I soon realized that I actually enjoy taking my time to aim towards a solid, comfortable hang or a sturdier tarp setup vs. a quick one. I found that I was willing to sacrifice some weight for stability. I found joy in the process and when it was all set up, wanting to do more. Does this make me inefficient?
    I would like to hear from other hangers and see if there are others who actually enjoy the planning, decision making, and the whole hammock camping experience, regardless of how long it takes. Thanks for reading.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you have your stopwatch out when you're setting up, that's a problem. However, if you find yourself spending a half hour setting up, that's also a problem. I probably spend 10 or 15 minutes setting up, but I'm in no hurry.

The colder it is, the longer it takes me to set up. I don't want frozen fingers so I'll warm my fingers as I go to keep from becoming totally screwed.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Speed is no good if you're not comfortable! It's about making yourself happy, don't do something because someone else is doing it, or someone else thinks it's not the right way. It's all about Hang your own Hang and Hike your own Hike! Go forth, and be happy my man!

Hammock
    ENO DN at home, WB Traveler camping
    Tarp
    Silnylon 8X10
    Insulation
    Dry Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I'm with Scoutmaster. My initial setup only takes a few minutes. If it's right so good. Otherwise I enjoy the process for the next 10 or fifteen minutes to get it perfect.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." John Muir

Hammock
    Chillax Double, Homemade Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY 2mil Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Thank you, I will do that. I had to overcome a huge comfort curve when I started using a hammock. The first few trips I only got a few hours of sleep. I watched every video ever made. I was determined not to let it stop me from becoming a hammock camper. I hung my hammock in the house and slept in in for three nights before I found the right formula. It has been a month now and I can't imaging going back to a bed. Another fellow hammock friend gave me a great tip. He said "Do not read in the hammock, do not eat in the hammock. Only sleep. Then you will associate the hammock with sleep". He was right. Now I get tired just saying "hammock". I can't wait until I get back in it. Thanks for the response!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I don't know.... Once when it becomes routine and second nature I end up spending about the same amount of time every time I set up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hey, if you like to take your time then by all means do just that. I disagree that if it takes x amount of minutes then somethings wrong. Hang your own hang and take all the time you need. Isn't this why we do this for fun relaxation and at times exercise.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutmaster405 View Post
    Another fellow hammock friend gave me a great tip. He said "Do not read in the hammock, do not eat in the hammock. Only sleep. Then you will associate the hammock with sleep". He was right. Now I get tired just saying "hammock". I can't wait until I get back in it. Thanks for the response!
    Truer words were never said. I can't understand people who can lounge all day in a hammock. I disagree with the "read in a hammock" idea, however. Nothing like a good book to put one to sleep.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I fall into the camp of folks who enjoy spending a decent bit of time planning and organizing all of my gear including the hammock, tarp, and quilts. I always carry a notebook for keeping a trail journal and part of that is making notes on what gear worked, what didn't, things to change for next time, etc. That is always my last activity before going to sleep and it helps me to reflect on the day and remember the significant things that occurred down the road.

I don't think taking your time should be considered inefficient. Inefficiency to me is using effort / time for activities that do not relate to improving your setup like untangling guy lines, unpacking items from your pack that are not needed, having to get out of the hammock because you need something from your pack, etc. I don't think any of these are new or particularly novel, but here are some of the things I do to make my setup / trip go smoothly:

-Color coding tarp guy lines to signal which ones go on the porch side
    -Color coding the suspension to identify the head end of hammock
    -Carefully wrapping guy lines around stakes during breakdown so there are no tangles on the next setup
    -Added a segmented mesh pocket to my tarp sack to store stakes / guy lines close to the point of use
    -Folding tree straps and then wrapping with whoopies for easy deployment the next time
    -Added mitten hooks and snaps to snake skins to make sure they stay in place while stuffing and unstuffing
    -Packing tarp on outside of pack so it can go up first and keeps the wet stuff outside.
    -Keeping water filter and hand sanitizer in belt pocket to be able to filter water quickly
    -Adding quick disconnects to end of tube so I can fill bladder without removing from pack
    -Making sure a water bottle, medicine bottle, head lamp, phone, and notebook are in the RLO.

Outside of the hammock equipment I also spend an inordinate amount of time planning what I am going to take, where things go in the pack, etc. Most of that effort is to save / account for weight but I do find I really enjoy the process of it all.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Sometimes I think I have more fun playing around at home trying to find a new way to use the whoopie, toggle, hook, do it faster, one handed, etc, than I do actually using the Hammock. My kids have been making fun of me for it. But I will say that I enjoy the comments I get from my ground dwelling friends when they see me sitting in my camp chair why they are still trying to get their tent up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast