Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Question Expedition vs. Mosquito

Does anyone know the specific differences between the Expedition and the Mosquito? I am not able to find much helpful info on their website. I did discover that the Expedition has two layers, which for a pocket for a pad, but that is the only difference I see.

Thanks.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Quote from the website:
    "The Expedition Hammock is similar to the Mosquito Hammock but with dark mosquito netting (easier to see out of), inside pocket, inside hanging loops, and bright fluorescent orange stuff bag."
    Not such a big difference I suppose. Nevertheless, I just ordered an Expedition.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
    Quote from the website:
    "The Expedition Hammock is similar to the Mosquito Hammock but with dark mosquito netting (easier to see out of), inside pocket, inside hanging loops, and bright fluorescent orange stuff bag."
    Not such a big difference I suppose. Nevertheless, I just ordered an Expedition.
    There seems to be some difference in weight as well.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Quote from Tom's web site.

Expedition Hammock
    "We use a double layer system on the bottom of the hammock with Nylon on the outside and Polyester on the inside. The Polyester feels softer against the skin, and the two layers slide across each other so you can move around and sleep comfortably. The double bottom layers also make it harder for the mosquitoes to bite through. The heavy duty YKK double zips open from the inside and the outside and run the entire length of the hammock. They make it very easy to get in and out of the hammock, and they will last a long time. We also added a mesh pocket and hanging loops on the inside of the hammock to store your wallet or hang your flashlight."

The basic difference is the two layers and the bug netting on the expedition seems to have a smaller pattern to be able to keep out no see'ums.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Quote from Tom's web site.

Expedition Hammock
    "We use a double layer system on the bottom of the hammock with Nylon on the outside and Polyester on the inside. The Polyester feels softer against the skin, and the two layers slide across each other so you can move around and sleep comfortably. The double bottom layers also make it harder for the mosquitoes to bite through. The heavy duty YKK double zips open from the inside and the outside and run the entire length of the hammock. They make it very easy to get in and out of the hammock, and they will last a long time. We also added a mesh pocket and hanging loops on the inside of the hammock to store your wallet or hang your flashlight."

The basic difference is the two layers and the bug netting on the expedition seems to have a smaller pattern to be able to keep out no see'ums.
    Gumby, et al,

The mosquito has the same double bottom.

Only real difference is the netting and the little pouch in the Expedition.... and of course the Difference between $60 and $90.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Gumby, et al,

Only real difference is the netting and the little pouch in the Expedition.... and of course the Difference between $60 and $90.

Pan
    So the netting on the Mosquito will not keep out the no seeums?
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Gumby, et al,

Pan
    The mosquito has a lining inside, the expedition has a polyester second layer that you can place a pad in.

The mosquito is designed for hot climates.

The expedition, "It is breathable for hot climates, and there is a double bottom layer to slide a foam pad in for winter camping."

Marc

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    hacktorious, Gumby, et al,

These two hammocks are identical in size....the bottoms of both are double bottomed and they both have the silkier feeling inside layer.... You can put a pad in both of them, between the layers....

The lighter colored netting on the mosquito has kept the mosquitos and bugs off me for a combined 24 nights or so over the last couple of years.... It is an older style of netting that is not as sturdy as no seeum but mine has held up well... It is also easy enough to see out off when necessary if you move your head up to it....Personally, the expedition netting is only marginally easier to see out.

Yes, I can be considered biased, JRB carries the Claytor Mosquito (When the the JRB hammock completes R&D and becomes available we will dicscontinue the mosquito, if not before when the current stock is exhausted, only one left). These are the facts.... bottom line is, if you like this hammock pick either the lower price or the better bug net, a gear pocket and an internal loop or two for an additional $30...BTW these are Tom Claytors prices and moth models are available thru him.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Thanks......

What is the moth model?
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle

Smile Mosquito Vs Expedition

I purchased a Mosquito (the website said it had double bottom to slip a pad into). It did NOT have the double bottom. I contacted Tom and he confirmed that the Mosquito doesn't have a double bottom. He not only refunded my money but gave me a discount on an Expedition. My only complaint is that it's heavy duty construction comes in at a full 2 pounds. I'd gladly purchase a lighter, less robust version if it was available.

Cheers,

Steve

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast