Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie question

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo/ Golite
    Thaks for all of the advice. I'm not a fan of camping when it is really cold either Gringo. Guess it is the southern boy in me.Thanks for the suggestion of the KAQ. I had not heard of them. I have been lurking for awhile and based on what I have heard decided on my hammock and tarp. This is the last bit of equiptment I have yet to decide on since it seems I need an UQ of some kind. Inexpensive is better but I have learned not to trade quality for price.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    A cheap foam pad will provide plenty of insulation - the point is to have SOMETHING underneath you for insulation. Even a wool blanket inside the hammock can work, or any of a number of various blanket options used as an underquilt.

UQs are popular for good reason, but there are many ways to get insulation under you in a hammock.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    A cheap foam pad will provide plenty of insulation - the point is to have SOMETHING underneath you for insulation. Even a wool blanket inside the hammock can work, or any of a number of various blanket options used as an underquilt.
    Agreed, for 3-season hammocking. One thing I've learned is to take a small multi-purpose sitting pad for use during the day on wet ground, on picnic table benches, even on shelter floors.

In my hammock at night, I can move it around during the night to my knees, butt, shoulder, etc., ... whatever area isn't protected by my sleeping pad.

Rain Man

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    One of the best tests you can do is.... come summer time, when it's really hot outside, hang up your hammock and see how you do over-night in it. Have something like a military poncho or some kind of blanket (have something) that you can tie under your hammock IF it gets to cold for you. You could actually start these tests when it's still spring, but you will need some type of bottom insulation here. The test would be to find out what temps you could do without the insulation. I've found that I need to have something under me at all temps. Sometimes I'm able to slip it over to the side but during the night, I get cold (& this is for hot humid coastal North Carolina nights) and need that under quilt. You will need to test to see what temps you'll have to use under insulation, we're all different!! Oh, wierd thing I've started to notice from different postings here... people that live in colder temps tend to be able to stand the cold better than us people that live in hotter temps. So someone in a cold region may say they don't need under quilts till it's like 75 or 70 and here I am freezing during the summer if the night time temps go down to 80!! Again, you will need to test to find out your own temp ratings.

I agree Tina, very observant, appears that heavy folk with a "tire" complain when others with a six pack - do not. Colder temp folk do not run up the thermostat and their blood must be a thicker and full of anti freeze.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12