WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

keeping the peapod dry

Is it a problem keeping the down insulated peapod dry on a long trip in rain/fog etc? Any suggestions/tricks?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I have used a 1.7 ripstop hammock sock to keep myself dry from fog and mist. There is some condensation inside the hammock sock if you do not ventilate it properly.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I also hang a sponge over my head in the hammock sock to absorb all the condensation which comes out of my mouth when I breath. It seems to work.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    If you sleep inside the PeaPod, like I do, then you should consider opening a small vent hole in the velcro above your chest, and another small one as far up above your head as you can reach. That will make for a chimney, which will carry out your moisture laden breath.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    I used the peapod 6 nights straight in constant rainy weather. Even when I went to bed damp, i woke up dry. The moisure from rain and mist didn't seem to decrease the loft either. Having said that, the loft is crazy to begin with.
    Use a nice big tarp and I'm sure it'll be fine. And obviously be fastidious when packing it into a dry bag that it never touches the ground.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joggerjohn View Post
    I also hang a sponge over my head in the hammock sock to absorb all the condensation which comes out of my mouth when I breath. It seems to work.
    Sounds like a cartoon ... Spongehead PeaBob

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I used the peapod 6 nights straight in constant rainy weather. Even when I went to bed damp, i woke up dry.
    The blowing rain and condensing fog that covered my PeaPod with water droplets never penetrated the 1.1 oz ripstop nylon much to speak of. The warmth from my body dried the PeaPod overnight without compromising my comfort.

BTW, Wisenber, Speer says, "Colors - Outer Shell--Navy Blue.....Inner Shell--Kelly Green" so I did not have it inside out after all!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    The blowing rain and condensing fog that covered my PeaPod with water droplets never penetrated the 1.1 oz ripstop nylon much to speak of. The warmth from my body dried the PeaPod overnight without compromising my comfort................

- MacEntyre
    This has been my experience so far. I was surprised when I found out that it is not even DWR, I surely thought it was based on performance.

I'm pretty sure that the biggest problem is packing up wet, so a means of drying it off before packing should be available, especially on longer trips. Shaking water/frost off, or using a pack towel, something. Though I have lost no loft so far on trips as long as a week with no "drying off" used. Then again, though it was wet outside the tarp, I never noticed any moisture on the shell, but I may well have that problem on another trip.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I now have two Pea Pods (both I bought on discount ) and every time moisture condenses on their shells it evaporates if I do not wipe it off with a towel. I always use a hammock sock and that sometimes increases the possibility of condensation if you do not hang a sponge over your head to absorb the moisture of ones breath or vent the sock to let air flow through and cool you.

• + New Posts