Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    When laying diagonal I like my UQ to go passed my feet by 3-4 inches. The head end of the quilt is on my shoulder at my neck. I suggest you lay in your hammock and get someone to take a measurement. Anything more that that is just extra weight and space in your pack. If you are only buying one UQ I'd suggest a 20-30 degree for the range you are talking.
    Yeah, definitely looking for something in the 20 to 30 degree range. Lowest temps I've camped in were in the low to mid 20's, and it's highly rare that I'm out in those type of conditions. As for getting the measurements you mentioned, I'll get a friend to give me a hand with that this weekend if possible. Not sure how much it'd vary from this, but just out of curiosity, I measured myself laying on the floor with a tape measure running from the bottom of my feet up to the top of my shoulders. Like that anyhow, it's measuring at about 66".
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I'm 6 foot tall and use Warbonnet Yetis exclusively (torso length) unless it's the summer and then I use a torso length 6 oz sit pad. I use this sit pad slid under my feet in the top quilt when temps get below 40. I do not get cold (I have both 20 degree and 0 degree Yetis) and enjoy the lower weight. I would recommend you consider this as an opportunity to lower your overall backpack weight.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Yeah, definitely looking for something in the 20 to 30 degree range. Lowest temps I've camped in were in the low to mid 20's, and it's highly rare that I'm out in those type of conditions. As for getting the measurements you mentioned, I'll get a friend to give me a hand with that this weekend if possible. Not sure how much it'd vary from this, but just out of curiosity, I measured myself laying on the floor with a tape measure running from the bottom of my feet up to the top of my shoulders. Like that anyhow, it's measuring at about 66".
    That measurement from the floor should be fine just add a few inches to give you some wiggle room.
    For me, YMMV, I like to have an UQ rated about 10 degree colder than I expect to camp in.
    This gives you some extra insulation if the wind really kicks up or your quilts insulating properties have gotten a little compromised with condensation,dew, rain splater etc..
    hth

Here's a little trick you might consider down the road.
    Pickup a nice 3 season full length that will cover your Spring, Fall and early winter. This is went most of us camp.
    Then later add a summer 3/4 and if you happen to get invited to a winter hang you can stack the two quilts and your once a year winter trip is covered without dropping so much coin on winter quilts.

Last edited by OutandBack; 06-21-2016 at 15:01.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I have used both 3/4 and full length quilts. I do not like feeling the end of the shorter quilt touching my legs. In order to keep drafts out, the cinch cord needs to be tight enough to annoy me. I do not feel the small amount of weight saving is worth it.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    That measurement from the floor should be fine just add a few inches to give you some wiggle room.
    For me, YMMV, I like to have an UQ rated about 10 degree colder than I expect to camp in.
    This gives you some extra insulation if the wind really kicks up or your quilts insulating properties have gotten a little compromised with condensation,dew, rain splater etc..
    hth

Here's a little trick you might consider down the road.
    Pickup a nice 3 season full length that will cover your Spring, Fall and early winter. This is went most of us camp.
    Then later add a summer 3/4 and if you happen to get invited to a winter hang you can stack the two quilts and your once a year winter trip is covered without dropping so much coin on winter quilts.

Thanks for the tip! I'd be down for a frozen butt hang. In fact, that's along the lines of what I was prepping for this past winter, but I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go (my local friends aren't geared for winter camping yet). I was looking on YouTube for ways to stay warm on winter trips, and that's when I found Shug, which eventually led me to this forum and the world of hammocks.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Images
    There are lots of ways to add warmth if you are getting a chill in the hammock.
    Jumping jacks just before bed is the cheapest just don't do so many to sweat.
    The hot waterbottle trick has saved me on many a nights.
    Fudge for a nite time snack seems to turn to instant body heat the fastest for me.
    Sleeping hat, gloves, and thick loose socks also add warmth.
    I also try to not sleep in my hiking cloths since they do have some moisture trapped in them.

hth

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdeacon View Post
    I have used both 3/4 and full length quilts. I do not like feeling the end of the shorter quilt touching my legs. In order to keep drafts out, the cinch cord needs to be tight enough to annoy me. I do not feel the small amount of weight saving is worth it.
    I could see that. In relation to other sleep systems, I typically don't mind if my feet hang off the end, but anything more than my ankles and feet hanging over the end of the bed/pad/etc. tends to drive me a bit crazy depending on how much I can feel it.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

-Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    My only regret with my first quilt (HG 30 degree custom) is that I got it long but not wide. I'd love 4 more inches of width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    My only regret with my first quilt (HG 30 degree custom) is that I got it long but not wide. I'd love 4 more inches of width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That reminds me. Width is something we haven't touched bases on here yet. I assume I wouldn't need a wide UQ considering I'm tall and skinny (140 lbs at 6' 2"), but on the other hand, the hammock I'm using is a wide version. What factors typically play into the call for a wide UQ?
    Scarecrow on Instagram

-Hans Zimmer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    That reminds me. Width is something we haven't touched bases on here yet. I assume I wouldn't need a wide UQ considering I'm tall and skinny (140 lbs at 6' 2"), but on the other hand, the hammock I'm using is a wide version. What factors typically play into the call for a wide UQ?
    I believe most full length UQ's are 45" wide go much narrower and it might keep popping off your shoulder.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast