Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm short, so I use a shorty. On a bias, my feet stick out of my phoenix only slightly.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    My (limited) experience with UQ length:
    I have an Incubator 20 in standard length and it works just fine with full coverage (I'm just under 6 ft), I have no complaints except it is too hot in warm weather.
    I have recently received a nice new Incubator 40 in the long length which I opted for to give me a greater margin for error on setting up and because there is less weight penalty on the extra length with a quilt that contains less insulation. I'm not 100% sure if I've done anything to make it work so well but the longer UQ seems to stay in place better and I can hop in the hammock and not have to give the UQ a tug to pull it into the right place, I get in and it is already perfect.

Anyway, I love my Incubator 40 and plan to use it all the time except when I go camping in winter, then I'll switch to my Incubator 20 which I find keeps me toasty warm down to as low a temperature as I ever go camping in. To me an underquilt is a once per decade (or thereabouts) purchase so a little extra cost for longer is no biggie, unless needing to save weight I figure that it is a bit easier to have more length to work with. For me the main thing though is to achieve full coverage, I'm not keen on the 3/4 UQs.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I like it longer, make sure my shoulders are well covered, my tq footbox will take care of my feet if it has to, but the longer the better, nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night cold.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    thanks, yeah, I discovered on a recent hike that my under quilt that stopped at my shoulders was fine until the wind blew from my head to my feet. then, no matter how good I tried to seal up the TQ around my neck I felt chilled until I scrunched down so the UQ was above my head...
    I pull my TQ over my head in deep cold, but I have a down beanie, and down pillow. The pillow works wonders behind your neck to get rid of that air gap. I don't use it behind my head, just my neck.

My winter UQ is full length, and I have coverage from my feet to above my head, but I was expecting to use it in deep cold, and I'm a cold sleeper besides. My summer quilt is ¾... Shoulders to knees
    Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WalksIn2Trees; 10-22-2016 at 15:32.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Since I don't have/haven't tried enough quilts...

The 30° Phincubator @ 60" long arrived!!

I now know the absolute minimum I can use without needing a foot pad. 60" covers me from about my neck to my heels. And since there are SO many times when the lows are around 35-45°, I'm sure this one will see a lot of use.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Since I don't have/haven't tried enough quilts...

The 30° Phincubator @ 60" long arrived!!

I now know the absolute minimum I can use without needing a foot pad. 60" covers me from about my neck to my heels. And since there are SO many times when the lows are around 35-45°, I'm sure this one will see a lot of use.
    Nice . I've got about 3 more weeks until my full length 20 degree UGQ Zeppelin arrives. We shall see how it goes from there once it arrives.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011