Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images

UQ length. What's your preference?

While I'm saving up for an UQ, I've been looking at all the different makes/models sold by our grand array of cottage vendors here, and trying to decide on what length would be best for 3 season use. I'm new to the world of quilts, so I haven't had the opportunity to really try any out yet. Do you guys prefer full length or partial, and if partial, roughly how long? Also, with the partial length UQ's, is additional insulation like a small CCF pad really necessary to go into the foot end of the hammock, or do some of you guys just prefer to leave that end uninsulated?

I suppose it'd be helpful to note that we typically see overnight lows in the mid to upper 40's where I camp at most the time. 7,000 ft elevation and higher (usually around 8,000 ft) in the Sierra-Nevada mountains.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Images
    When laying diagonal I like my UQ to go passed my feet by 3-4 inches. The head end of the quilt is on my shoulder at my neck. I suggest you lay in your hammock and get someone to take a measurement. Anything more that that is just extra weight and space in your pack. If you are only buying one UQ I'd suggest a 20-30 degree for the range you are talking.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE QUILT:

zero degree full length.

i camp 4 seasons. its hot in the summer and cold in the winter. we have two good days in between summer and winter; one in the spring and one in the fall.

FOOT COVERAGE & PARTIAL LENGTH:

easy answer. when it's cold, you need it. without question. the tq just won't cut it alone. i've got some sick down in a few zero degree tq's. if i went partial underneath my feet would get cold.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use my HG 20* 3/4 Phoenix 80% of the time. While I've taken it down to as low as 13* F, I no longer do that since I have a 0* Incubator. If the temps are going to be 30* F or below, I'll bring the full length Incubator.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Got my second UQ this Xmas, and first 3/4. I have to say I like it even though I was unsure coming from a full length. Covers my 5' 11" frame shoulder to almost ankle. Other than the DEEP cold it's now my go to.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Let me first say, I don't hike. I base camp and do day hikes from there. What that means is the extra weight/bulk does not really come into play for me.

My preference is for a full length. I sleep cold and use a quilt of some kind year round. I have a 40 to 50F down, a PLUQ, JRB The Nest rated 25 to 30F and a JRB Old Rag Mtn rated 5 to 10F. The only one not full length is the PLUQ but I am short enough that it is almost full length on me. the PLUQ is what I use on really hot humid nights
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I am in Colorado, so during the summer, I experience pretty similar conditions.

As a preface, my preferred hammocking experience is while backpacking, so that colors my response.

I prefer a 3/4 length UQ. I have one that is 55" and one that is 60" long. I find I need no additional foot insulation until I hit ~40-45*, at which point I slide in a CCF pad. I typically see temperatures from 50-30, so there is a decent chunk of the time where a full length UQ would be additional weight and bulk that is unnecessary. For the times I do need the pad under my feet, I almost always am bringing one anyways in the form of a backpanel for my pack, a sit pad, or the like. So, I don't have anything "extra" I have to bring for trips when I do need the warmth.

If you are going to be car camping, or if in-hammock comfort is paramount to you, I can see going full length. But in my opinion, it is more money, more weight, and more bulk than just using a pad you already have on the nights you happen to need it.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    3/4 length for me. I am only 5'6" which obviously makes a bit of a difference, but it's also a weight/volume thang. Full length or Synthetic fill, might mean another pack or leave something at home.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Thanks for all the feedback. I should've mentioned my height in the original post. I'm 6 ft, 2 in., so that may be a considerable factor in how a 3/4 or full length works out in my case. As for the weight, I'm not terribly concerned about that. I do backpack more than anything, but the pad I'm currently using in my setup (and have been toting around for the past 2 years) weighs in at 32.6 oz. Being accustomed to that weight in the pack already, I'm good with the UQ weighing as much as 2 lbs. Of course, I wouldn't argue over a lighter weight option.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 06-20-2016 at 19:12.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Full length for sure, and if you disagree you're wrong.

Actually I've never used a 3/4 lol...

Going to try my brothers 3/4 Jarbidge one of these days and see how I like it. I think in warmer Temps it would be really nice and save some pack space. My feet get cold before anything else so I personally would definitely use a foot pad.

Every day is a good day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast