Beard 5 O'clock shadow XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy
    Insulation
    Working on this...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Suggestions for Colorado Trip

Hello everyone! I'm very new to the hiking world. Went this past weekend with my father in law. I went traditional route with tent, pad, and sleeping bag. He has a beginner hammock setup and I really liked the ease of his setup.

I'm a big guy with a big frame. 6'1" and 300 lbs (for now). I need a dual purpose set up. This summer I'll be doing day hikes and some over night hikes. I live in Georgia so it's warm and humid.

The second purpose is for a Colorado Elk hunt in early November. Temperatures will range from Highs of 49 degrees and lows around 30 degrees.

I'm open to all suggestions and recommendations. I'm a pretty handy DIY person so I'll be probably doing most myself. Just want to make sure it can handle my large frame and the weight.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO DN, couple DIYs, Dutch 1.6W Hex
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & CBs
    I've made my own hammocks and while satisfying, I'm lazy & like to spend $ so I bought a wide Dutch hammock made out of 1.6 Hexon. I'm using my DIY Costco Down UQ and TQ, and a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12'. The tarp is huge and on the heavy side for backpacking, but I like the extra coverage & usually car camp at my dad's farm. I've taken this setup into the upper 40°s & stayed warm. You would need a better UQ & maybe a TQ to get into the low 30°s, IMO. there are lots of options for vendors selling quilts, you have to do your own research & see what's best for you.

I'm 6'2" and 315lbs and typing this reply from the above setup!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy
    Insulation
    Working on this...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by z96cobra View Post
    I've made my own hammocks and while satisfying, I'm lazy & like to spend $ so I bought a wide Dutch hammock made out of 1.6 Hexon. I'm using my DIY Costco Down UQ and TQ, and a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12'. The tarp is huge and on the heavy side for backpacking, but I like the extra coverage & usually car camp at my dad's farm. I've taken this setup into the upper 40°s & stayed warm. You would need a better UQ & maybe a TQ to get into the low 30°s, IMO. there are lots of options for vendors selling quilts, you have to do your own research & see what's best for you.

I'm 6'2" and 315lbs and typing this reply from the above setup!
    Thanks for the info!

Is your Dutch a double or a single? What type of suspension are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I would definitely make your own hammock. They are pretty dang straightforward. At least, if you don't want to do anything fancier than a knotty mod they are straight forward.

Sounds like Hexon 1.6W would be fantastic option for you. Plenty strong, and a little roomier than the standard 58" fabric.

A tarp is a little more involved than a hammock, but not by too much. It mostly just adds in the ridgeline seam and figuring out reinforcements. Not too complicated of a MYOG job. For November in Colorado, I strongly suggest a tarp with doors. Or you could make a simple rectangle tarp and just fold the ends in for the same effect. November in Colorado will almost certainly be windy (usually is in the fall) and have a serious chance of snowstorms, especially at elevation. Combine those two and you will surely want 360* protection. A polyester fabric (silpoly, xenon, etc.) will give light weight and low stretch. I have personally had good luck with silicone nylon, but some people aren't into it. If you want to be fancy, you could go Cuben Fiber and have tarp that weights half as much and offers twice the coverage. But it is spendy.

I would suggest a rating of at least 20* for your UQ and 30* for your TQ. I would suggest a TQ that has cinch foot box that can be opened up into a blanket. You can vent either one in warmer weather, so you don't need a set of summer quilts for use in the south. It would be easier to shoot for 20* TQ, but you could make a 30* work by wearing your camp insulation and adding some booties. That would let you have a TQ that's more comfortable for your typical use.

You could make your own synthetic quilts relatively easily using Climashield. At a 20* rating though, they get pretty bulky. But a down quilt is more complicated and way more labor intensive. And more expensive. If i was in your situation I would make my own synthetic UQ (smaller of the two if you go 3/4 length, simpler construction) and try to buy a down TQ. But, that all depends on funds, how important weight and bulk are to you, etc.

I have been testing out Dutch's new dyneema webbing with spiders and sewn on dutch clips. It is probably the most convenient, fastest to set up suspension I have ever used. I love it, and think it provides a great balance of speed and simplicity with adjustability and light weight. The dyneema webbing doesn't bunch and make the spiders hard to slide, and I have had now slipping despite copious amounts of dynamic testing (read: bouncing vigorously in my hammock for a few minutes). Haven't had it in the rain, so can't speak to that yet.

For backpacking though, I use 12' kevlar straps from dutch that I connect to my hammock via becket hitch.

I also have used a whoopie hook suspension and really like it. If you want the most foolproof option, you could use carabiners and atlas-style straps. I think that buckles/cinch bugs/etc would be better for you in the long run though.

That's a lot of info, but I figured I would chime in since I am out here in Colorado.

Whatever you end up with, enjoy it!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy
    Insulation
    Working on this...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    I would definitely make your own hammock. They are pretty dang straightforward. At least, if you don't want to do anything fancier than a knotty mod they are straight forward.

Sounds like Hexon 1.6W would be fantastic option for you. Plenty strong, and a little roomier than the standard 58" fabric.

A tarp is a little more involved than a hammock, but not by too much. It mostly just adds in the ridgeline seam and figuring out reinforcements. Not too complicated of a MYOG job. For November in Colorado, I strongly suggest a tarp with doors. Or you could make a simple rectangle tarp and just fold the ends in for the same effect. November in Colorado will almost certainly be windy (usually is in the fall) and have a serious chance of snowstorms, especially at elevation. Combine those two and you will surely want 360* protection. A polyester fabric (silpoly, xenon, etc.) will give light weight and low stretch. I have personally had good luck with silicone nylon, but some people aren't into it. If you want to be fancy, you could go Cuben Fiber and have tarp that weights half as much and offers twice the coverage. But it is spendy.

I would suggest a rating of at least 20* for your UQ and 30* for your TQ. I would suggest a TQ that has cinch foot box that can be opened up into a blanket. You can vent either one in warmer weather, so you don't need a set of summer quilts for use in the south. It would be easier to shoot for 20* TQ, but you could make a 30* work by wearing your camp insulation and adding some booties. That would let you have a TQ that's more comfortable for your typical use.

You could make your own synthetic quilts relatively easily using Climashield. At a 20* rating though, they get pretty bulky. But a down quilt is more complicated and way more labor intensive. And more expensive. If i was in your situation I would make my own synthetic UQ (smaller of the two if you go 3/4 length, simpler construction) and try to buy a down TQ. But, that all depends on funds, how important weight and bulk are to you, etc.

I have been testing out Dutch's new dyneema webbing with spiders and sewn on dutch clips. It is probably the most convenient, fastest to set up suspension I have ever used. I love it, and think it provides a great balance of speed and simplicity with adjustability and light weight. The dyneema webbing doesn't bunch and make the spiders hard to slide, and I have had now slipping despite copious amounts of dynamic testing (read: bouncing vigorously in my hammock for a few minutes). Haven't had it in the rain, so can't speak to that yet.

For backpacking though, I use 12' kevlar straps from dutch that I connect to my hammock via becket hitch.

I also have used a whoopie hook suspension and really like it. If you want the most foolproof option, you could use carabiners and atlas-style straps. I think that buckles/cinch bugs/etc would be better for you in the long run though.

That's a lot of info, but I figured I would chime in since I am out here in Colorado.

Whatever you end up with, enjoy it!
    Thank you! I really appreciate all the good information. I really leaning toward building my own hammock and spending the money on TQ and UQ.

Thanks again for the great information and I'll update everyone on the route intake with photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Glad to be able to hep out!

• + New Posts