WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Practice practice practice!

I hook the hookworm to the shockcord on the corner of the tarp. Then I pull the line (Lawson reflective cord) tight. That tightens the shockcord and the guy line. Then I make the loop and slip the, what do you want to call it, the tail(?) of the hook worm into the loop rather than trying to make the loop around the tail. I make the loop really close to the tail. Since I'm using shockcord on my tarp corners I have to stretch it out pretty good because doing what I do there's a couple millimeters that shockcord shortens (but it is still plenty taut).

I hope that makes sense.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    To repeat what drsolarmolar stated: Hook the Tarpworm onto the shockcord. Pull the free tail end very taunt. Hold the Worm and the line from the stake pinched between your left thumb and 1st finger. Using your right hand create a loop (half hitch) and flip it "back" - "under" onto the bottom of the worm at (what I call) the waist of the worm (drsolarmolar calls it the tail end). Slowly release the pinching of your left hand. The shock cord will shorten and the guy line will pull on itself locking the loop/hitch.

You can also pull the tail end after "catching" the loop on the tail. Just don't pull too hard because there is a point of no return that releases the "knot" created. Just remember, it's like tying shoes...it's hard to teach but once your child has it - they can do it without thinking.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    So I set up my tarp tonight and used the hookworms that I recently purchased... I watched Dutch's video on how to use them many times, but I had a really hard time doing the loop and hooking it on. Dutch makes it look so easy - I thought I wouldn't have any problems! Does anyone have any tips for making that loop? I try to pay close attention to Dutch's fingers in the video, but something isn't connecting for me. I realize I might need to practice more, but I'm still perplexed at myself that I'm not able to get (except by some luck, it seemed) after the time I spent on it tonight.
    When the loop is made, the tail will be held under the loop. So if you twist the rope one way to make the loop it won't work. You have to twist it so that tail is under (or towards) the hook.

I show it a little better here...
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks everyone - I'll try this again when I get home.

Dutch - how do you have the shock cord attached to the D-ring? Looks more secure than the way I had it.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks everyone - I'll try this again when I get home.

Dutch - how do you have the shock cord attached to the D-ring? Looks more secure than the way I had it.
    I miss my beard. It is just larks headed on and the knot that makes the loop is at the top.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I miss my beard. It is just larks headed on and the knot that makes the loop is at the top.
    That's what I did, and I had one loosen and fly off in the wind yesterday.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I love my hook worms, I rarely take out more than one tarp, so just having the little piece of shock cord on the tarp, then the hook worms in my organizer is really awesome and a time saver on the grab and go department.

So I set up my tarp tonight and used the hookworms that I recently purchased... I watched Dutch's video on how to use them many times, but I had a really hard time doing the loop and hooking it on. Dutch makes it look so easy - I thought I wouldn't have any problems! Does anyone have any tips for making that loop? I try to pay close attention to Dutch's fingers in the video, but something isn't connecting for me. I realize I might need to practice more, but I'm still perplexed at myself that I'm not able to get (except by some luck, it seemed) after the time I spent on it tonight.
    So it's simple once you know the trick. Once you have it tensioned, you form a simple loop by crossing the line over itself, like this: hanger-knot1-large.jpg

Now you are halfway done. All you have to do, is slide the loop onto the worm so that the working end is pinched between the worm and the secured end.
    E3PDHxn.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks, Insaniac, that picture is helpful. Just to make sure I understand - is the working end the line that I am pulling on to make the tension? Dutch said the "tail" end had to be under the loop... in your picture, the secured end is the one under the loop, which would be the opposite of what I thought Dutch meant.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just to make sure I understand - is the working end the line that I am pulling on to make the tension? Dutch said the "tail" end had to be under the loop... in your picture, the secured end is the one under the loop, which would be the opposite of what I thought Dutch meant.
    That's correct. the working end of your rope is always the loose end, the secured end in this case is already affixed to your stake. My picture is a little confusing to be honest because it blends the lines together and makes it hard to see what is happening.

The reason this knot holds is because the fixed end and the tension from the shock cord keeps enough tension that pinching the working end makes it so it can't slide. Meanwhile, the pinched working end prevents the hook from sliding and giving the working end more slack. That fight keeps it on tight.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Ok, thanks. I'll give it a go tonight!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast