Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Yep what everyone else said plus hanging bunk bed style you really need to have some height in order to have the proper angle..the bigger/ wider angle and either whoopies or cinch buckles will help with that. Also there are a few hammocks that can be stretched tighter then usual.. Switchback from tree to tree trail gear and dd hammocks front line xl. The switchback however is pretty narrow at 52" but still comfortable but I always was against the bugnet...
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Wow! Less than a day and I've already received 10 helpful responses. I'll take a closer look in the next few days, but until then I want to thank you all for your advice & experience.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    ENO Atlas straps shouldn't stretch that much. I also suspect you're hanging the hammock too tight, at less than the optimal 30* hang angle. The hammock hang calculator should help.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by etehiver View Post
    Hello!

I've been hammock "car camping" for a few years with my son's Cub Scout Pack, and hope to go hammock backpacking with him in the future. We both have Skeeter Beeter Pro (SBP) hammocks, which we've lightened up a bit by removing the steel carabiners- we use ropes with knots instead. We hang them bunk bed style with a Hennessy Hex Rain Fly to stay dry.

Here's my problem: Most nights, I end up with my bottom touching the ground. I'm pretty sure that the ropes I'm using are stretching through the night. I'm 6'5" and weigh around 235 lbs. In the past, I noticed that the Eno Atlas Straps stretched quite a lot.

I've read Derek Hansen's The Ultimate Hang, read through these forums and subscribed to Shug's You Tube channel. It sounds like I may need to find a suspension that will not stretch so much.

Since I'm relatively tall, I haven't been able to achieve the flat-lay angle that Derek and so many others recommended. The Skeeter Beeter Pro isn't long enough, and my feet and head get stuck in the bug netting if I try to lay at much of an angle. I also can't get the suspension hanging angle right either because of my height in the SBP. To be reasonably comfortable, I need to tighten the hang as much as I can, even though I wind up laying in the banana position (rather than flat).

Question: Would Whoopie Slings or some other kind of lightweight rope (Dynema?) do a better job at not stretching and help keep weight down? I'd prefer to make my SBP work better than it currently does. Even sleeping like a banana is still more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

Any advice for a big guy like me would be welcome. Thanks!
    I think you should bite the bullet and make your own gear from scratch.

Hammock if 13' at least(finished size and 5' wide,maybe wider.

With that length whoopie will and even more length restricting your hang locations.

3mm(1/8) dyneema connected to tree straps and descender rings( or dare I say it-slvrdusurfer-LARGE COGs)at hammock end to help reduce overall length.
    Your weight is non an issue,I'm around 285lbs and only 5'6" but your height makes it a bit harder.

You will be surprised at the easy if DIY and costbis fantastic.

Good luck

Hammock
    ENO DN, couple DIYs, Dutch 1.6W Hex
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & CBs
    For me, the 11' Dutch 1.6W Hexon works great. I'm 6'2" & 315 and have made my own 12' and 13' hammocks, but the extra width really makes things more comfortable & easier to get a flat lay... for me. With the wider fabric, I can eliminate calf ridge completely.

I've used whoopies, rope, and straps and cinch buckles. I prefer the straps and cinch buckles. They are a little heavier than some options, but they are quick & easy to setup and adjust.

All this hammock stuff is like a Ford vs Chevy debate (we all know Ford is better), 99% of the things folks will suggest, will work just fine. You just have to try out some of the options & see what you like best... Hang your own hammock.

If you haven't already, go to YouTube & watch some (all) of Shug's hammock videos.

I'm 6`9 245 an I have a trekking light double hammock an l love it 10 long an 6.5 wide

I tried a ridge line at about 83% and achieved the preferred hang angle. I was able to get a more diagonal lay, but my head and toes are quite literally into the bug netting.

Seems that for me, this 10' Skeeter Beeter Pro is too short.

I'll look into making a DIY 11.5' or 12' hammock. Seems like that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft W
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by etehiver View Post
    I tried a ridge line at about 83% and achieved the preferred hang angle. I was able to get a more diagonal lay, but my head and toes are quite literally into the bug netting.

Seems that for me, this 10' Skeeter Beeter Pro is too short.

I'll look into making a DIY 11.5' or 12' hammock. Seems like that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just ordered my first hammock, a double layer wide Dutch 1.6 with cinch buckles, and we have very similar measurements. I can tell you my thoughts once I receive it. I'm 6'6" 225.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkele View Post
    I just ordered my first hammock, a double layer wide Dutch 1.6 with cinch buckles, and we have very similar measurements. I can tell you my thoughts once I receive it. I'm 6'6" 225.
    How did that Dutch 1.6 work out for you Arkele?

I'm 6'10" my son has a 9' hammock that is way to short for me to comfortable sleep in, I can hang around it it for a few hours but it gets uncomfortable. I have a few 11.5 foot hammocks and find them to be much more comfortable. The most comfortable though is my table cloth 12' x 7' hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12