Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Question

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JKU49 View Post
    Ok so from the 2 replies and what I just been reading on the fourm, not really a way around the under quilt. At some point we will need to purchase before fall going into some winter camping comes. When it comes to the under quilts I have seen ones that cover the whole bottom of hammock and some only cover what looks like the length of a body and then the full wrap or bag style quilt. I guess it all depends on what a person likes correct?
    Hi JKU49,
    Try google searching hammock peapods.
    You might find away to turn your military mummy bags with the gore tex outer shell into a peapod. I would think a small hole on one end and a piece of shockcord on the other.
    Worth a try and will cost you nothing.
    hth

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    You did mention a pad so....a WW pad or similar with a sleeping bag should be fine down to the 40's. Like Goobie wrote, I started with a pad and sleeping bag and when it's really cold, still use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Bliss Extra Large
    Insulation
    Looking
    Suspension
    Straps & carabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Well I for one don't plan on being out anywhere in -40° weather. Honestly probably won't be out in 40°.
    I guess you don't have WINTER down there?!?!

At 40* with a light, loose fitting base layer you should be just fine. You could try laying on top of the black bag and using the green bag as your topquilt, that way you'll have more insulation under you where it's needed most.

I wouldn't bother with the gore tex bivy either, I didn't find it to be of any benefit

Living in Louisville which I am sure some others could chime in on the weather we have. Winters can get cold or the could be mild, I would say range of single digits to 40's, I know it's not as cold as other places but still cold enough for me. I'll just wait 10 mins and the weather will change again. That's a thought with the biv bags. I am green as green can be with all this so I am trying to make sure that I can at least enjoy it this year with my son and make sure that mainly he is safe and try to teach him as I learn. My concern is that he stays warm, comfortable and enjoys doing this with his old man since he got us into it (lol) didn't take much to get me jumping on it. Myself I will figure something out that works for me as I go, but honestly I will take all the information and suggestions yall will give.

Hammock
    skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Bliss Extra Large
    Insulation
    Looking
    Suspension
    Straps & carabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Ok so from the 2 replies and what I just been reading on the fourm, not really a way around the under quilt. At some point we will need to purchase before fall going into some winter camping comes. When it comes to the under quilts I have seen ones that cover the whole bottom of hammock and some only cover what looks like the length of a body and then the full wrap or bag style quilt. I guess it all depends on what a person likes correct?
    Hi JKU49,
    You might find away to turn your military mummy bags with the gore tex outer shell into a peapod. I would think a small hole on one end and a piece of shockcord on the other.
    hth
    I will check those out as well. Seriously thank you all for the ideas and suggestions! Yall are awesome! I will check the peapods on google.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi JKU49,
    hth
    When I was considering doing this with my MSS, I came to the conclusion that it's way too narrow to work as a pod. I've since tried this with a down sleeping bag purchased to use as a pod, with no luck. Zipper length, and location at the foot end, along with width are the most important factors for a bag to work well. At least with me in my, rather narrow, 11' hammocks. I would research and plan this out VERY carefully if you go this route with your MSS.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    When I was considering doing this with my MSS, I came to the conclusion that it's way too narrow to work as a pod. I've since tried this with a down sleeping bag purchased to use as a pod, with no luck. Zipper length, and location at the foot end, along with width are the most important factors for a bag to work well. At least with me in my, rather narrow, 11' hammocks. I would research and plan this out VERY carefully if you go this route with your MSS.
    I have a -5F WM down sb that is not a mummy it's more cannon barrel shaped with a footbox zip seperate from the side zip and I was able to use that with my 10'WBBB it wasn't perfect but it did keep me warm.
    I'm a side sleeper and I also curl up a little so maybe that was why.
    Does this MSS have any kind of opening(zip or string) in the foot box end? To attach the shockcord on the other end I used those removable tarp pullout thingys Jacks or Better sells.

I though I had a pict or two but can't find them right now I will keep looking. It's been 6-7 years ago.

Hammock
    skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Bliss Extra Large
    Insulation
    Looking
    Suspension
    Straps & carabiner

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    You are right! Buying for two is pricey! Might I suggest you check out the DIY section? You will find ways to make top quilts, bottom quilts, SPE (for helping to hold a pad in place), and just about anything else you want up to and including the hammock, suspension, and tarps. Some take sewing skills, some do not.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Bliss Extra Large
    Insulation
    Looking
    Suspension
    Straps & carabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    You are right! Buying for two is pricey! Might I suggest you check out the DIY section? You will find ways to make top quilts, bottom quilts, SPE (for helping to hold a pad in place), and just about anything else you want up to and including the hammock, suspension, and tarps. Some take sewing skills, some do not.
    Thanks for that suggestion, that could be my winter project for this year.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Terra Nova
    Insulation
    Graylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I watched a youtube video where a guy modified an old military bag to fit over the hammock like a tube. He cut 4 or 5 inch holes through the foot box and hood sections, sewed material around the edges to seal up the edges. It was more like a pod than a top or bottom quilt. When you feed your hammock through and hang it he had the zipper open on the side he wanted to get out of. You can get the MMS bags on ebay pretty cheap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12