Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

request info on bug net

first let me say howdy from texas. dont know how i missed this site, but i am here now. i have been hammock camping for a few years now. i have a byers traveler that i ripped out the weird chords and laced in some 3/4" poly webbing. much more managable now.

now to my question. i saw a video some time back where when the hammocker got in, he slid his bug net, which was sewn in a tube design, down the ridge line and cinched it up the end of the "tube" at the intersection of the ridge line and anchor strap. i thought it was a good idea but did not bookmark it.

the last few weekends it has been warmer temps here and we have had lots of rain which makes for tons of skeeters. the thermacell keeps them away but runs out around 3am and them the attack starts. not to mention the added expense of running a thermacell all night long.

if you have any info, please let me know.

thanks.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Two sources come to mind...Warbonnet and ENO. Similar designs, one has a vertical zipper, the other, horizontal.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I made my own tube-style bug net out of a Mombasa Single from REI (only $12!). No zippers. I sewed in a cinch on both ends and pull it over in the way you describe. It works pretty well and gives 360° bug protection.

Recently, however, I've been trying a new method using a Equinox Mantis Sleep Net from AntiGravityGear.com. Much lighter, the Mantis net hangs from the ridgeline of my tarp and covers my head and upper torso. I like the weight and minimalist design, and I can get out of the hammock much quicker with less entanglements. The Mantis also allows me to use it as a head net and ground net if/when necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dejoha; 12-15-2009 at 16:46.

this is a no zipper design. it was a tube with drawstrings on both ends. the ends of the tube jusr sucked down to close it all in.

i was going to make one like yours. that seems to be the easiest method for me. manytimes it is 70 degrees through the night so i need FULL protection. Academy has those cot nets for $10 which is what will be my donor.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Until one of us finds the thread you are thinking of - check out this page at JustJeff's site: https://mail.google.com/a/lifeatopendoor.com/

I didn't the full tube that you're referencing, but there are lots of ideas here.

As for a tube - are you thinking of building it yourself or looking for something to purchase? I'm not sure I know of a vendor that sells a tube mosquito net... yet.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

unless it retails below $20 i will make it. i generally try to make as much as i can.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    unless it retails below $20 i will make it. i generally try to make as much as i can.
    If you can make your own gear, that will be your best bet for this item.

You can get very good bug netting at www.owfinc.com - the noseeum is just over $3/yd. The only cheaper options are just that... cheaper - but that's not to say they're not quite serviceable.

All you need to do is determine the proper length for your hammock, and girth. Sew a tube to the proper specs, add end channels, draw cord, and cordlocks and you're good to go.

I believe this is how Gargoyle did his bug netting, you may want to ask him for his advice.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If your into making your own, its pretty simple.
    stove and net 002.JPG
    stove and net 004.JPG
    I took some 46 wide netting or wider if you can find it, sized to fit your hammock, I went with 2 pieces at approx. 11 feet long and stitched them together along the long edges. Rolled a hem/channel on each end for a drawcord, add a set of cordlocks. If you want it really roomy you could add extra netting along one of your long seams.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

thanks for the pics gargoyle. looks pretty much like what i want to do. laying it out right now.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Sounds good, of course we need to see pictures when your done.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast