Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    UST Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Foam
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies

Whoopie slings too long?

I upgraded my suspension system a couple of trips ago to use tree hugger straps with a toggle and some whoopie slings I made myself. The problem I'm running into is that the mimimum length of my whoopie slings is about 3 ft each. Seems like whenever I find a perfect spot, the trees are too close together to even use the whoopie slings. I end up just tying the carabiners of my hammock directly to the straps.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the whoopie slings have not been as convenient for me as I thought they'd be. Maybe I just need to find better trees.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Whoopie slings do increase minimum hang distance slightly. This frustrated me at first until I started tying my marlinspike hitch as close to the tree as possible. This brought the whoopie sling almost directly to the tree.

Images
    On a narrow hang, hook your hammock's CL over the MSH on one end, and use the whoopie at the other for adjustment.

--
    Gadget.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    UST Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Foam
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    On a narrow hang, hook your hammock's CL over the MSH on one end, and use the whoopie at the other for adjustment.

--
    Gadget.
    Isn't it odd to hang the hammock off-center? I'll have to try it. Thanks.

Images
    No, you just put that treestrap lower, to compensate.

--
    Gadget.

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    This is the main reason I don't use whoopies. Right now I use a becket hitch on ~12' tree straps. I did order a Dutchware Spider recently to see how that works, though.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I've been playing around with a lot of different suspension options lately. My whoopies close down to about 22". I made loopie slings that close to 10.5" with a dwh. There's a thread about that somewhere. My favorite so far is 2.2 Kevlar straps/Adutchable and a j-bend at the other end (thanks for that theguywitheyebrows!). That said, my wife and i hang with a spreader bar so i find the easier adjustability of buckles or spiders at the head end to be desirable.

Adutchables allow you to take up extra slack in the strap without having to make multiple wraps around the tree. Great if you're short of leg! You can get the strap loop right up to the tree. I've used them to fine tune adjustment once the j-bend has been set.

Loopie Slings thread
    Last edited by sqidmark; 06-29-2016 at 07:16.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/OWL UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post

--
    Gadget.
    Totally agree with this. I would likely be frustrated with my Whoopie Slings as well if they were attached directly to my gathered ends. If you have Continuous loops on either side and attach your Slings to them you have the flexibility to use either, neither or both depending on the circumstance.

In my yard I can't ever use both whoopie slings. The trees are too close together.

Marlin Spike hitch + Whoopie's + Continuous loops provides the ultimate in flexibility.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanglin View Post
    Totally agree with this. I would likely be frustrated with my Whoopie Slings as well if they were attached directly to my gathered ends. If you have Continuous loops on either side and attach your Slings to them you have the flexibility to use either, neither or both depending on the circumstance.

In my yard I can't ever use both whoopie slings. The trees are too close together.

Marlin Spike hitch + Whoopie's + Continuous loops provides the ultimate in flexibility.
    X 10!
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    3 foot minimum on each side seems like a lot. With about a 10" bury for the adjustable bury, Plus 6-7" in the fixed eye bury as the normal measurements 3 foot does not add up to me. Yes you will have a minimum adjustable space but it should not be over 1.5 foot off each end of the hammock. Got any pictures or can you describe the bury measurements you used?
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast