DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Grayson Highlands, VA with 9-year old daughters -> June 30 - July 3, 2016

My daughter and I, along with another daddy/daughter pair, have returned from a fantastic trip to Grayson Highlands. A special thank you to TallPaul, Mtn hanger, Rogue, geek81, among others for suggestions and feedback. We planned for and was expecting some nasty, rainy weather Saturday evening and Sunday morning but it fortunately held off. I hope you enjoy the video and the trip report below!

Day 1 (Thursday June 30)
    We parked at the overnight backpacker’s lot at Massie Gap and hit the trail at about 6:30. We climbed the Rhododendron Trail to access the AT and passed a wedding party in a horse drawn carriage along the way. We continued along the AT as we rock hopped along the end of Wilburn Ridge before dropping down into a valley to the Wise Shelter. We set up camp (all 4 of us in hammocks) around Wise about 9:00 with a solo section hiker.

Day 2 (Friday July 1)
    We broke camp and hit the trail by 9:00 passing over Wilson Creek. This is a great water source and a highly recommended camp area with a great deal of space to accommodate numerous groups of tents or hammocks. We looped around Stone Mountain with a pretty good climb to the bald on top. While taking a snack break on the bald, we were treated to 2 fighter jets flying over completing a very cool bank-n-roll turn. Coming down the bald into Scales was our first encounter of a herd of long horn steer. We continued along the AT until we reached the intersection with the Pine Mountain Trail. We dropped down the Pine Mountain Trail to Lewis Fork Trail and crossed over to pick up Crest Trail. We were in the right place at the right time as a family of horseback riders were coming through. We talked with them for a while and they were so nice enough to let our daughters take a short ride on their horses. We set up camp near a bald on the Crest Trail beside the water source and spent a great afternoon exploring around. We were treated to our first encounter with the ponies here, ate dinner on a rock outcropping overlooking the valley, and experienced a breath-taking sunset from a ridgeline atop Pine Mountain.

Day 3 (Saturday July 2)
    We broke camp and hit the trail by 9:00 again with a short, but almost all up hill, hike to the water source at the Crest Trail and Rhododendron Gap Trail intersection. We decided to drop our packs at one of the numerous camp areas around 10:30 and complete a “day hike on our backpacking trip,” as my daughter called it. We passed by Thomas Knob shelter on our way to Mt. Roger’s summit for lunch. We climbed back down to our camp site and discovered that we were camping in a huge long horn steer pasture. After setting up camp, we finished the day with a loop along the AT through Wilburn Ridge to experience “fat man squeeze,” a smaller tunnel area my daughter dubbed “fat boy squeeze,” great bouldering, unimaginable views, even more ponies, and returned to camp along Rhododendron Gap Trail.

Day 4 (Sunday July 3)
    We broke camp and started our hike out by about 8:30 along Rhododendron Gap Trail. We changed over to the AT and arrived back at our truck by 10:30. We completed a fantastic 20-mile weekend with our 9-year old daughters who I hope had as good of a time as I did.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Wow what a great trip for both the daughters and dad's. Looked like a good mix of backpacking and lollygagging, perfect for their trip.
    Glad you were prepared for weather and even better it turned out so nice.
    Can't believe the girls even got a horse ride - that was pure awesome.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    That was excellent...thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Not much better than spending time in the woods with the kids! Thanks for sharing
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Wow what a great trip for both the daughters and dad's. Looked like a good mix of backpacking and lollygagging, perfect for their trip.
    Glad you were prepared for weather and even better it turned out so nice.
    Can't believe the girls even got a horse ride - that was pure awesome.
    Yes it was pure awesome! I was awe struck at the fly over from the fighter jets with us at about 5000 ft elevation and them not much more than 2000 ft above us. Thanks again for your suggestions earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzz View Post
    That was excellent...thanks for sharing!
    Thank you and you are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer View Post
    Not much better than spending time in the woods with the kids! Thanks for sharing
    Yes sir, you are correct. Now we are trying to get their mommies and siblings out with us, but I think that will require some kind of trailer

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    That was a great video. My wife and I enjoyed watching it. Thank you for sharing!

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Great trip report! I took my family (wife, daughter 16, daughter 13) on this same trip 1 week prior to your trip. This is a great loop trail and we wish we would have stayed at that campsite on Crest Trail. We debated and decided to continue on to Rhododendron Gap. Long story short, we continued on to the parking area and headed for ice cream. Great to see the girls getting out there and enjoying a bit of mountain time and hammock time. All the wildlife in this area is just the icing on the cake especially seeing the girls interact with them. Good for you and the other gentleman for providing the opportunity. We are definitely wanting to come back.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Images
    Glad you had a good time.
    I was actually out there too since Saturday and just got back this afternoon.
    I was on the other side of the mountain exploring some trails I hadn't done before, trip report coming soon.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    That was a great video. My wife and I enjoyed watching it. Thank you for sharing!
    Thanks! I've enjoyed watching your videos reporting your recent trips as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Great trip report! I took my family (wife, daughter 16, daughter 13) on this same trip 1 week prior to your trip. This is a great loop trail and we wish we would have stayed at that campsite on Crest Trail. We debated and decided to continue on to Rhododendron Gap. Long story short, we continued on to the parking area and headed for ice cream. Great to see the girls getting out there and enjoying a bit of mountain time and hammock time. All the wildlife in this area is just the icing on the cake especially seeing the girls interact with them. Good for you and the other gentleman for providing the opportunity. We are definitely wanting to come back.
    Saturday night where Crest, Rhododendron, and the AT converge was very popular and there was a group blaring music and enjoying beverages late into the night, but that just reminded of my college days We even had another dad/daughter pair join our camp area Saturday because it was so crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Glad you had a good time.
    I was actually out there too since Saturday and just got back this afternoon.
    I was on the other side of the mountain exploring some trails I hadn't done before, trip report coming soon.
    Looking forward to the report. Our original plans were to go all the way to Grindstone and loop around on Mt. Rogers Trail, but we changed that plan so we wouldn't over do it with the girls. It was definitely the right decision!
    Last edited by gfstanley; 07-05-2016 at 22:37.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Having two kids myself who are close to that age, it made my heart smile to watch your trip. Thanks for sharing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast