Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Replacing a Hennesey with a Blackbird

I have been using a Hennesey asym ultralight backpacker for many years and have been pleased with the product. This last weekend, the hammock ripped in a way that I consider non-repairable. I am considering a Warbonnet Blackbird as a replacement. Any comments on the following would be appreciated:
    1. I have a Jacks are Better Nest underquilt. How will this fit on a Blackbird?
    2. I have a McCat Delux tarp. How will this cover the Blackbird?
    3. I use a ring buckle suspension system on my Hennesey. Will I be able to reuse this on the Blackbird?
    4. Thoughts on a 1.1 vs. a 1.7.
    5. Any general comments by people who have used both?
    Thanks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    I have been using a Hennesey asym ultralight backpacker for many years and have been pleased with the product. This last weekend, the hammock ripped in a way that I consider non-repairable. I am considering a Warbonnet Blackbird as a replacement. Any comments on the following would be appreciated:
    1. I have a Jacks are Better Nest underquilt. How will this fit on a Blackbird?
    2. I have a McCat Delux tarp. How will this cover the Blackbird?
    3. I use a ring buckle suspension system on my Hennesey. Will I be able to reuse this on the Blackbird?
    4. Thoughts on a 1.1 vs. a 1.7.
    5. Any general comments by people who have used both?
    Thanks.
    The JRB Nest should fit just fine.
    That tarp will fit just fine.
    You can switch the suspension over iff'n you want to.
    I have a 1.1 Blackbird but prefer the 1.7 fabric on my XLC.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I went from a Hennessy to a Blackbird XLC. I haven't really spent enough nights in the XLC to fully evaluate it, but I've been happy with it on its two times out. I love the shelf. And as far as suspension goes: The first thing I changed on my Hennessy was the suspension. The suspension on the BB is pretty close to what I eventually changed my Hennessy to, so, depending on your needs, you might want to give it a try before swapping it out.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    All is as Shug said. I've been using a Blackbird for many years now and it's still my "go to" hammock. When Brandon (I think that's his name) was just getting started I sent him some material and he used some of it with some of his material. I have 1.7 on the exterior with 1.1 on the interior. It's very comfortable and I love it! My JRB Nest fits well under it and my homemade Blackcat (I think very similar to the McCat) fits well too. My suspension has a continuous loop on the ends of the hammock connecting to a Whoopee Hook on a Whoopee Sling.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    All is as Shug said. I've been using a Blackbird for many years now and it's still my "go to" hammock. When Brandon (I think that's his name) was just getting started I sent him some material and he used some of it with some of his material. I have 1.7 on the exterior with 1.1 on the interior. It's very comfortable and I love it! My JRB Nest fits well under it and my homemade Blackcat (I think very similar to the McCat) fits well too. My suspension has a continuous loop on the ends of the hammock connecting to a Whoopie Hook on a Whoopie Sling.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    12' CRO Lounger
    Tarp
    12' Hideaway Hex
    Insulation
    CRO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I love my WBBB XLC in 1.7 DL. But I'm a bigger guy so the heavier double layer fabric is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand.
    -Coolhand Luke-
    http://cedarridgegear.com/
    http://facebook.com/crocustom Give us a

I started with a HH and still have it. I use it sometimes but mostly as a loner or if my wife wants to hang with me. Don't read anything into that as HH not being a good hammock, it is a great one that I still like but I have since hiked over 1500 AT miles using a WBBB 1.7 double layer. I agree with everything already posted and will give a +1 for that shelf. I love that shelf. Double layer is also great. I not only used it for insulation, but also for cloths to keep them warm to put on the next morning in MAR and APR in the mountains. I liked and used the winter cover on the WB. I have the ring setup on my HH but would not go back to that setup. I have whoopees on my WB. If I was going to use the HH extensively again, I would convert it to whoopees (may do that anyway). I weigh about 185 and think, if I did it all over again, I may have gone with the 1.1 DL to save a little weight and I would guess to pack down smaller. That would be for long backpacking trips. I found the larger tarp with doors a good call. I weathered some pretty good storms with my pack hung on one end of the hammock but inside those doors never had an issue with anything getting wet.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I have an XLC and am in no way dissing it BUT if you loved your HH why not just replace it? It doesn't include the cool kid factor but so what.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've been waiting for my Explorer UL to die before I move into an XLC. The regular Blackbird is just a little short. I want to "upgrade" to a double layer for a bit more bug protection (important here in FL).

I've always sworn by whoopies since that's what I went to from the less than optimum standard HH suspension. However, after using the strap and cinch buckle type setup on my RidgeRunner for the past few years I'm pretty much sold on that setup. It's fast, pretty light, and super easy to set up.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with a new Blackbird or XLC in whatever variation you get. The rest of your gear should work fine with either one.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    However, after using the strap and cinch buckle type setup on my RidgeRunner for the past few years I'm pretty much sold on that setup. It's fast, pretty light, and super easy to set up.
    I couldn't agree more. It amazes me to how many people switch from straps to the whoopies to save a few ounces. The whoopies and straps are slower to set up for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast