Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod

Beaches to Hang in Georgia

My friend wants to know if there are any good places to hang our hammocks this winter on the ocean coast of Georgia.We spent some time hanging our hammocks on the coastal areas of Maine. He is from upper New York and lives near Vermont. We have hung several times together already in this winter and he is getting bored of the cold.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Best opportunity would be Cumberland Island National Seashore. See National Park Service for schedules and rules. Limited time on the island and not sure about their "hammock" rules. Primitive camp sites are designated. All other islands with secluded beaches are privately or state owned and have limited access, generally by boat. Exceptions are 1)Tybee Island near Savannah (no known campgrounds and is your typical developed beach town; 2) Jeykll Island state resort, limited camping I think.
    Another alternative is Hunting Island state park in SC, east of Beaufort and north of Hilton Head Island.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Rockdawg is right: not many options here unless you know someone that owns the land. Cumberland is a great option, you just have to tie into branches of the Live Oaks, and not the trunk (you may have to Google an image if you've never seen the really old Live Oaks to appreciate what I'm talking about). There are a few pines, but mostly saw palmettos, "scrub" brush, and Live Oaks. Here is a link to a typical "backcountry" campground on the island.

http://www.forbestraveler.com/advent...s-slide-3.html

Also, be careful, most of the freshwater sources on the island has a couple of resident gators.

Have fun!!
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I second Cumberland Island. It's a beautiful place, with wild ponies, ruined mansions, etc.

Raccoons are really prevalent on Cumberland. They are extremely smart and know the ways of campers. I'd definitely hang your food (backcountry) and maybe even set some decoy food sacks to delay them some. There are food cages (on posts) in some of the non-backcountry campsites, but your food is only safe if it does not touch the sides of the cage. Raccoons can get their little fingers in a bit. When we were there, we woke to find 3 raccoons hanging from the sides of our food cage trying to squeeze a plastic bag of marshmallows out through the chicken-wire.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts