Looking for feedback - Quilt Fabric

My last backpacking trip convinced me that it is time to graduate from my sleeping bag/PLUQ system. I'm planning Down, Karo Step, Top and Bottom Quilts and need some feedback on the fabric selection.

Inner shell: 0.66 oz MEMBRANE 10 taffeta nylon
    Outer shell: 0.74 oz ROBIC 7D ripstop nylon

I'm looking to get a lightweight combination where the inner shell is soft and comfortable and the outer is a bit tougher. From reading up on the materials, I think these should get me what I'm looking for, but having never gotten my hands on them I thought I'd throw it out here for feedback before making the investment.

I'm also making the assumption that using the same materials for both top and under quilts is a good idea. Let me know if that is not a good idea.

I'm sourcing from ripstopbytheroll. I'll check with them as to my intended usage first if I don't hear from them here on the forum.

All thoughts would be appreciated,
    • Dutch Argon 11' hammock
    • Whoopie Slings
    • symmetrical PLUQ

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    I suggest you obtain samples. I LIKE the MEMBRANE 10 handles nicely, not too slippery.
    My first quilts I made the side of the quilt touching my skin out of the softest fabric, I used Argon from Dutch, I used the tougher fabric for the outer shell. In the end, I did not find any real difference in use. I am just finishing a TQ using the MEMBRANE 10 for both sides.

I passed on the Karo Step, for no real reason.

Personally I would use which ever fabric I like for both quilts. I wanted something bright and happy to wake up to, so I picked white and robin egg blue. My UQ blends with my hammock and is NOT an eye catcher since I have returned to stealth HANGING.

Do be aware you are entering into dangerous territory, DIY is addictive! Ripstop by the roll, Dutch and others just keep coming out with hard to resist materials.

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    I used the membrane 10 for the inside and 1.0 hyperD for the outside of my top quilt. The robic wasn't available when I ordered the materials. I am real happy with how it turned out and I will probably stick with these fabrics for now.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    I suggest you obtain samples. ...
    That's a great idea. Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    Personally I would use which ever fabric I like for both quilts. I wanted something bright and happy to wake up to, so I picked white and robin egg blue. My UQ blends with my hammock and is NOT an eye catcher since I have returned to stealth HANGING.
    I'm of the same mind about getting some bright colors. Plus, I find it too easy to loose things in dark bags. Unfortunately, the Robic only comes in grey and dark olive currently, so I'll go with something bright for the inside. :-)
    • Whoopie Slings
    • symmetrical PLUQ

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster1056 View Post
    I used the membrane 10 for the inside and 1.0 hyperD for the outside of my top quilt. The robic wasn't available when I ordered the materials. I am real happy with how it turned out and I will probably stick with these fabrics for now.
    Good looking quilt, I'm hope mine comes out as well as yours. Thanks for the feedback on fabrics.
    • Whoopie Slings
    • symmetrical PLUQ

• + New Posts