Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I already do. My "hammock" is really a suspended tent. It is a more accurate description than hammock when most people picture the backyard rope and spreader bar hammocks. Suspended tent with a separate rainfly is a better description.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Got those from Hammocks.com over the summer. They had this unbelievable sale. $20 including shipping. Normally something like $120.

The problem with my tarp tent is the GG 12x12 doesn't have center attachment points on the square, so I used Grip Clips but the thin material keeps slipping thru even over the edge seam.
    You need to do the balloon mod on your Grip Clips to keep them from slipping, it works great!

Balloon Mod
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Tent. Pro: good shelter Con: poor sleeping conditions
    Hammock: Pro: good sleeping conditions Con: Poor shelter

Seems like a natural bit of evolution to me.

I agree.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I guess I was one of the first due to Prof. Griz's benevolence to enjoy a 'formed' (e.g. designed spec. for) Beak. I'll not hammock camp again without one or better yet two. So many revolutions, revelations in our sport within a sport(s).
    So yeah I did feel tent-like after putting on each beak, even after putting on just the one (I did a multi-day hike with one beak well before I had two of them), but tent-like only like in a very distant way...maybe how a Space Shuttle pilot reflects back to when our kind first picked up a stick and swung it into a club (after touching the 1x3x9 obelisk right!).
    I don't think the evolution is over, not by a long yard and I can't wait until the next innovation from wherever it may come!

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I think we are confusing tarps and hammocks. Tarps are shelters, and hammocks are sleep systems. Tarps are not exclusive to hammocking. As many have pointed out, they were using tarps prior to using hammocks. The difference between a tarp and a tent (both being shelters) is that a tarp can be pitched many different ways. It can be a simple roof, a lean-to or pitched as a tent. A tent, due to it's predetermined design, can usually only be a tent.

The advantage that most pleases me is that I can choose to have the tarp in a more open configuration when the weather permits so as to enjoy a more natural feeling of connecting with the outdoors. Which is why I am there in the first place. Or I can choose to "batten down the hatches" when necessary and be snug and cozy.

Now as for hammocking or sleeping on the ground ...... sorry, no contest. The only way you'll find me horizontal on the ground is if I stumble and fall down.
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    You need to do the balloon mod on your Grip Clips to keep them from slipping, it works great!

Balloon Mod
    Excellent! Thanks for the solution.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Knotty,
    Your GG 12x12 looks good. I have a Kelty Noah 12x12 that I use the same way... well, actually, my daughter uses. I think you need to test your tarp on the trail. How's your knee?
    Jay

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    JayS - Swelling's going down. In case you didn't here it turns out I have Lyme. Probably the main reason for the swelling, not the meniscus tear. Tolerating the antibiotics very well.

Schedules' pretty full for the next few weeks but if you're heading out, let me know.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    are we hanging because we like camping or camping because we like hanging?i love being out there,the hammock is part of the comfort equation,sometimes a tarp tent is also a big part of it.i dont sleep well with snow hitting me in the face.
    as far as hammock simplisity.i used to think it was simple till i found this site.i guess till i absorb all these new ideas and techniques,and maybe upgrade some of my techniques and gear,i will think of hammocking as a very complicated simple(or would it be simply complicated) way to stay comfy in da woods.uq's and oq's,straps,this knot and that knot,tensioner, rigelines,differant tarps,oh my,its to much.hangin in there,
    bill

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    are we hanging because we like camping or camping because we like hanging?i love being out there,the hammock is part of the comfort equation,sometimes a tarp tent is also a big part of it.i dont sleep well with snow hitting me in the face.
    as far as hammock simplisity.i used to think it was simple till i found this site.i guess till i absorb all these new ideas and techniques,and maybe upgrade some of my techniques and gear,i will think of hammocking as a very complicated simple(or would it be simply complicated) way to stay comfy in da woods.uq's and oq's,straps,this knot and that knot,tensioner, rigelines,differant tarps,oh my,its to much.hangin in there,
    bill
    We can make it complex, sort of like fishing. When I was about 14 we went out west for 2 months as a family, pulled a small travel trailer and I wanted to catch trout. I studied, bought a lot of "fancy tackle" and was ready to score. We stopped at a rest area in Wyoming, can't remember where, however I started to fish with my "fancy" stuff. My then six year old sister came down to the stream with a cane pole, clothes pin for a bobber, and some nightcrawlers. She pulled out a 20 inch rainbow immediately. Sometimes simple just works.

I think we can make this incredibly sophisticated and complex. More and more I am struck with the observation that we just need to be out of doors no matter how we want to do it. Some of us will want real simple, others love the challenges and inquisitiveness inherent in more sophisticated approaches. Just as my little sister taught me, sometimes the most important thing is just to fish.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast