Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    chameleon 1.6
    Insulation
    loco libre
    Suspension
    straps, beetles.

shock cord usage on tarp tie-outs.

i have been reading about short pieces of shock cord on each tarp tie out , attached to some piece of dutchware.
    i understand the concept, but those who do, does the wind move your tarp around too much with the shock cord on?
    i have always just tied direct line.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    It seems to help keep mind tight with just a little give, but I've not been in any big wind. To advantage to me is not worrying about the tarp tearing. I have 4" loops on all 5 tarps and connect with mitten hooks, lines stay on my stakes.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    It's simply a trade-off, as well as an available option to allow you to gain convenience but still adapt to conditions.

With a 12" to 14" piece of 1/8" shock cord tied in parallel as a "tarp tensioner" on your 72" guy line (e.g., 2.0mm 100# test utility cord, which I use), in wet conditions you can pull the tensioner taut and let the tensioner automatically take up any slack as the tarp stretches (more pronounced with sil-nylon, I think) and/or the tarp suspension "settles". Conversely, under windy conditions where actual flapping/oscillation is the primary concern, you can simply bypass the shock cord tensioner (e.g., flip it and tie off with the tensioner outboard of your tarp stake) and use the solid portion of the guy line for maximum tension.

My SLD tarp has LineLoc 3s at the corners that work really well with the 2.0mm utility cord and allow me to keep my tarp taut using different sections of my guy lines as the need arises. The tensioners were cheap and easy to make, and they have little to no weight/space penalty, yet the work really well. Certainly not necessary, but a nice like modification to help reduce the "fiddle factor" once your hammock and tarp are hung. HTH...

(PS: Even if you like solid guy lines on your tarp, I found that lightweight self-tensioning guy lines of this type are really great for your hammock if it has side tie-out loops for the bug net, asym lay, etc., such as a WB Blackbird or my SLD Trail Lair. The tensioners keep the hammock crisply open and squared away for entry and exit while maximizing the "insect-free airspace" inside the integrated bug net.)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-14-2016 at 15:57.

Hammock
    WBBB, Snipe, Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG WP
    Suspension
    whoopies+dutchware
    Images
    One of my Superflys has them done like this. Think it was either 5 or 6mm shock cord.

ooooooooo.jpg

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I just used mine in heavy wind and rain. I was amazed to see how much the tarp stretched over time. The small pieces of shock cord attached to the tie outs (ZingIt), really helped keep things tight as the tarp stretched. Wind gust were constant 1 day and up to 35mph. I had no issues with tarp tearing or failure. I recommend everyone use this type of system.
    I imagine, eventually (if it is not already being done), that vendors will start selling tie out rigs already made that incorporate ZingIt and shock cord.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Shock cord tensioners were created for silnylon tarps that tend to stretch when wet. I personally don't use them on my silnylon tarp anymore. I just wait till the tarp gets wet then restake.

Polyester, silpoly and cuben fiber tarps don't stretch, so shock cord tensioners are not needed.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...cord+tensioner
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-13-2016 at 21:24.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    chameleon 1.6
    Insulation
    loco libre
    Suspension
    straps, beetles.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Shock cord tensioners were created for silnylon tarps that tend to stretch when wet. I personally don't use them on my silnylon tarp anymore. I just wait till the tarp gets wet then restake.

Polyester, silpoly and cuben fiber tarps don't stretch, so shock cord tensioners are not needed.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...cord+tensioner
    thanks.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I use small loops of shock cord on my Cuben tarps even though the are not needed. My rationale is that if a branch falls on the tarp, I want a little bit of "give" built in to absorb the impact. This "might" prevent a hole in the tarp. If a big enough branch falls from high enough, it's probably not going to matter.
    HYOH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I sometimes use an integrated tarp suspension, so the loops are required to keep tension on the tarp.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxpoop View Post
    I use small loops of shock cord on my Cuben tarps even though the are not needed. My rationale is that if a branch falls on the tarp, I want a little bit of "give" built in to absorb the impact. This "might" prevent a hole in the tarp. If a big enough branch falls from high enough, it's probably not going to matter.
    HYOH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope, i use tarp bungies for the same thing (the ones with a ball) . You can see here that it popped a hole right through, though the branch itself didn't come through...I wasn't in the hammock at the time, but if I had been, and if it had gone through, I probably wouldn't be replying to this right now. I'd say that tear is about 5"x8":

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast