Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

I want to throw out my bed!

I'm toying with the idea of throwing out the bed in favor of sleeping in a hammock at home and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding using one in cotton or nylon? I won't be using it outdoors so weather wear isn't an issue and hence the "cotton might get moldy" isn't really anything to take in consideration. Is there anyone here on the forum who sleeps hanging at home as well as out on the trail?

A bit of a side note, my GF thinks I'm mad but has gotten used to my seemingly endless crazy unconventional ideas, always fun to hear her eyes roll around as when I told her about my new fantastic idea which evolves yet another hammock. After all she's got the patience of a Buddhist monk and thats probably why she's still together with me. Though I have gotten her to sleep in one and managed to take a picture as proof of it! She was surprised that it was so comfortable.
    (second picture is just the dog wanting to play Yoda, who can blame her, she does a great job!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Lots of folks around here sleep full time in a hammock at home. Cannibal and Genuine Draft are one couple that use a hammock nightly. Several threads around about it. I wish to some day convert my wife to enjoy the elevated life of sleeping in a hammock full time. For now I sneak in afternoon rests in the BB up stairs.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I sleep full time (mostly)...I guess I'm a hybrid
    anyway, I use my no net nylon hammock inside and outside...super comfy either way!
    cotton would be fine...easy to wash if it got soiled.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Tinker T-7 / ENO DN / WBBB
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I also sleep full time in my ENO hammock, have for about 3 months now. Started in the basement and have since purchased a stand and it is in the bedroom next to our Select Comfort that the wife still enjoys. I did not have any idea how comfortable a hammock was until taking the plunge and I will never go back to a converntional bed now.

I purchased a cotton hammock and stand at Menards for $59.00. The hammock is a joke but the stand is nice. I had to make a couple of modifications to raise the ends to get the height I wanted but nothing hard to do. If you purchase a stand and need some insight on how to make the height mods, just PM me.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Full timer here. The bed is storage, covered in my winter gear right now.
    I just use my regular hammock, that way when I go camping, I'm still using the bed I sleep in at home, a win win situation for me.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    I have been a full timer for seven months, since I made a portable tripod stand. I use a $16 nylon hammock for in house sleeping. Recently I hung a Treklight hammock as a protective shield under my UQ which is made of a down sleeping bag. The cat kept trying to climb into the UQ when cold weather arrived.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Chris, just show her this one http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/20...on-hammock.jpg your gf might change her mind.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    About nine years ago I slept in a cotton Mayan style net hammock full time for about a year and a half. It was awesome.
    Cotton stretches a bit and will feel 'softer' than a nylon one. Since it's indoors, the bigger the hammock the better. The larger ones are usually more comfortable. When it comes to the net hammocks, they breathe a lot better than the fabric equivalent which is important in the south Texas but YMMV depending on your weather.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    not only got her to try it, but out in the cold! that is some impressive persuadin'!

Back on topic- stands are bulky- you might look also at putting a couple of support rings into the wall- (if you are not renting, or anything.) then the hammock can be deployed at need and folded during the day. Very efficent, and frees up a lot of floor space.
    One of the HF guys here did that for his daughter, who had the smallest room as I recall; and it was very well recieved.
    hope this helps! KM
    PS if you go this route- be sure you get into one of the main support studs, or other location capable of supporting the weight! Just a Molly bolt in the drywall is a recipie for renovation....

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Cotton is King indoors!

It will keep you much warmer than a nylon rig and, IMO, be more comfortable. I haven't slept in a bed in a couple of years (other than hotels where I couldn't figure out how to hang my hammock). Easy to wash and very comfortable.

As for hanging it, well there are some issues to work around. The majority of the cotton hammocks that I would choose for full time sleeping are big and long. This may present a problem for you depending on the dimensions of the room you've selected. Measure 48 times, then hang your rig. I need about 15 - 17' of linear distance to hang my home hammocks comfortably; they are Brazilian style hammocks. The advice about choosing your anchor points is certainly valid and you'd do well to listen, but I've been hanging that way for a good chunk of time with no problems and I weigh about 230 - 240ish. If you can center your hooks on a solid rafter, I don't think you'll have any problems. However, coming at it from above with a U bolt is probably a much safer method. My rafters are exposed in our room, so centering the hook wasn't an issue.

Kill your bed!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts