Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix

Underquilt Width Problems?

Hi everyone,

I have Hammock Gear's 20 degree Phoenix and a WBB hammock, but I've noticed that I have a lot of trouble keeping the underquilt under me. I'm thinking either that the underquilt isn't wide enough (not a small person) or that the two just have problems given the blackbird's asymetical shape. Does anyone have similar problems or solutions? I've tried Dutchware's underquilt clips and the plastic ones snapped when I tried to adjust the underquilt while in the hammock. Honestly, I'm thinking of selling the underquilt and getting the incubator (which weirdly is 1" less wide as the standard) custom made wider.

(Also wondering if anyone has this problem with top quilts too as they seem to range in width from 48" to the mid-60s)

Thanks!

Images
    Any pictures of this issue?
    I haven't owned a wbbb for about 5 years but I don't remember having any issues getting my winter or summer phoenix to fit.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The WBBB is most definitely not the problem. It's just a standard gathered end hammock with a couple of features. Only the net is cut "asymetrical" - the hammock body is rectangular as any other gathered end hammock.

Unless you're built very wide, the 45" width should also not be a problem.

My underquilts only slip when my uq suspension is too tight. Does the Phoenix have a secondary suspension? If it does, maybe try to loosen the primary suspension some. If there's a gap, rather tighten the secondary suspension. Also make sure the the ends of the underquilt are not cinched too much.

Hammock
    10.5" DIY 1.0 HyperD Lime Green
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi
    These keep the quilt right where you want it. Also make sure your ends are not too tight it can make your quilt want to sling shot off.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/ridgeline-quilt-hooks.html

Sent from my LG-LS990 using Tapatalk

Pull your suspension tighter. Its really hard to over-do the shockcord suspension and most people who are having this issue arent tightening the quilt enough. It should be lifting your hammock up when you arent in it.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Slo nailed it, most likely.

Tight suspension.

I've done tons of trips in my wbbb and Phoenix 20. Never had any slip issue.

I'm 6'1" and about 185-200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    So in case you're not confused yet, just loosen & tighten your UQ suspension .

As stated above, you do want the UQ to lift the hammock when unweighted. But having the suspension too tight will def make it snap away from where you want it.

The only fix is trial and error...sometimes and error...and error. But don't sell your Phoenix yet - keep trying and watch Shug's underquilt video.

Bottom line is the quilt will fit about any gathered end hammock. Width is based on covering people not hammock edges. 3/4 dont have the same accordian issues you can get with a full lngth so its probably one of the least fiddly quilts. Dont get rid of it, its a good one. But youre definitely having an issue adjusting your suspension.

What you should do is get someone to lie in it for you while you make the adjustments so you can see what looks right from afar and thet can tell you if its doing its job underneath.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Most who have shoulder slip problems draw the end cord too tightly... Most full length UQ need approx. 18-20 inches minimum between the cord lock to set the proper angle for the UQ to wrap a shoulder...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Thanks everyone. Lol, I was a little confused because for a bit there the responses were too tight or not tight enough, but I like the suggestion of having someone lay in it while I adjust it. It's true that in the past it has probably been not tight enough (my dog figured out how to climb into it when he was trying to get into the hammock on his own after a long day of hiking). I'm going backpacking in 2 weeks so I'll see how it works out then.

• + New Posts