WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips

36* & rain . . .

Ok, figuring this is going to be about the worst wet weather conditions one could have so I am going to try it out tonight in my backyard. Only taking things with me that I would have on a backpacking trip just to see how I will manage if it was a backpacking trip.

Conditions right now is 38*, 10 mph winds, and rain is steady (has been all day) and is to continue until about 3:00 am.

My plan of attack is simple...tarp (Superfly), then hammock (BB), doors on SF, UQ, 20* bag. Doing the complete setup in the dark with headlamp. Changing from my wet backpacking clothing, jackets and etc. to my dry and warm sleeping attire, I started contemplting just what exactly would I do with my wet jacket and clothes if I was on the trail and needed to wear them the next day. Ideally I would like to rig a clothes line inside the SF but I certainly don't want them hanging over the hammock. I wouldn't expect them to be dry in the morning because of the temps but hanging them outside is not even in the discussion.

I am curious if anyone has a "unique" and/or practical set up for a clothesline inside a tarp.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just hang mine on my whoopie slings or webbing in side the tarp.

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Ok, figuring this is going to be about the worst wet weather conditions one could have so I am going to try it out tonight in my backyard. Only taking things with me that I would have on a backpacking trip just to see how I will manage if it was a backpacking trip.

Conditions right now is 38*, 10 mph winds, and rain is steady (has been all day) and is to continue until about 3:00 am.

My plan of attack is simple...tarp (Superfly), then hammock (BB), doors on SF, UQ, 20* bag. Doing the complete setup in the dark with headlamp. Changing from my wet backpacking clothing, jackets and etc. to my dry and warm sleeping attire, I started contemplting just what exactly would I do with my wet jacket and clothes if I was on the trail and needed to wear them the next day. Ideally I would like to rig a clothes line inside the SF but I certainly don't want them hanging over the hammock. I wouldn't expect them to be dry in the morning because of the temps but hanging them outside is not even in the discussion.

I am curious if anyone has a "unique" and/or practical set up for a clothesline inside a tarp.
    I had wonder that myself. im still new to hammock camping/hanging but love it & my back love's it as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhitman View Post
    I just hang mine on my whoopie slings or webbing in side the tarp.
    That is what I do. I have also hung wet items, that were not so wet they were dripping but just way damp, over the ridge line at the foot of the hammock. So far I have gotten away with it.

Also, depending on what kind of materials are involved and how big of a hurry you are to get in your hammock- othet than maybe just sitting in it on a sit pad- once you are out of the rain you might could keep wearing them until they at least partially dry out. And you might need to keep wearing them anyway if they are needed for warmth and blocking wind. I have found some of this material to be pretty quick drying once you get out of the wet. But again, this will vary according to both materials and conditions.

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Id like to see a setup where all items are off the ground.I know this sounds crazy,but id like to get my setup where i could do this.When i say All im not talking about your pad that u step on onces you get out of your hammock.If anyone has pics of this PLS shoot me a PM/IM with some pics.Keep in mine im a Newbie to hanging,so all input is welcome.Thanks,Charles

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i hate the rain lol.....
    rather hang in the snow
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    in dry weather, I put my clothes over the ridge line of the BB under the tarp. They're usually dry in the morning. When it's cold and dry, I flatten them out between hammock layers.

Wet...wet is a whole other animal in either cold or warm. I've got a couple extra biners and my larger tarp provided a foot or so of space on either end. Biner through pants loop, most outdoor clothing has a loop near the tag. Hang from that on the other end. Socks can be wrung out so that they're not dripping wet. Hang them at foot of hammock. Mitten clips work good there, but I just drape them over.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    Id like to see a setup where all items are off the ground.I know this sounds crazy,but id like to get my setup where i could do this.When i say All im not talking about your pad that u step on onces you get out of your hammock.If anyone has pics of this PLS shoot me a PM/IM with some pics.Keep in mine im a Newbie to hanging,so all input is welcome.Thanks,Charles
    Hey, Charles, you have already had a bit of practice in the rain, this Halloween in the Sipsey, right? How did you do it then? I never saw you until the next morning, after we hiked in through the rain and after the all night deluge. You must of figured something out. I was using my ridge line like a clothes line, down on the foot end.

I'm thinking some of those Ridge line gear pockets like 2Q sells might be handy also.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post

This sounds like a great learning experience, can't wait for the follow-up to see how you did

I was out in my Clark a couple of weekends ago when we had lots of rain one night and down about 30 degrees the next night. I've found that my Clark tarp works great at keeping just my hammock dry and I'm starting to get the idea I may need a bigger tarp!!! What I did was have all my gear under my hammock. I was in an area that I didn't have to worry much about mice and I kept all food away from my hammock too. I also hung my rain jacket over the end of my hammock but under my tarp. That didn't work so well, I found it on the ground the next morning. I still need to do more testing at home, like you're doing, in the rain. I do have a small line inside my hammock to hang things like my socks, that works real well. good luck with your testing...

TinaLouise

Images
    My .02 ... Provided you are wearing fast drying, wicking clothing in the first place, (I.E. Nylon Suplex type stuff) I have found, the most reliable way to dry your clothes, is to sleep in them. Your body heat will dry them out by morning. Peace.
    Why didn't someone tell me sooner? I don't HAVE to sleep on the ground!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast